Should we respect all traditional, cultural and religious norms?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Bells, Sep 12, 2013.

1. arauca Banned Banned

If we don't respect , can we impose on them with our customs, perhaps they might think we are the barbarian.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wellwisher Banned Banned

The melting pot takes all the cultural ingredients, blends them together and brings the pot to a boil to concentrate this down into a sauce. The light ingredients boil off under the heat of selection. That which remains is the best of the best. This is useful because it advances the next generation of children, whose culture is now shared by all and optimized for the future.

For example, we took all cultural foods and had an international cook off, and then let everyone sample the food, with a blind (objective) taste test, there are certain foods almost everyone will like. There are other very few will like. In the melting pot, everyone now has the opportunity to eat and prepare this preferred food to maximize enjoyment for all. No matter what house you go you have something in common. One is not restricted to a single subjective standard, that works for a clique, that others have to pretend to like to be polite. Rather each person can make an objective decision of what is best. This is based on natural selection not artificial selection. There is no need lie since the truth remains because of the process of universal selection.

If we mixed poor cultures with rich cultures in the melting pot, the know how of acquiring wealth is left in the sauce ,since this is what all would like to have as an option. Now the poor, by assimilating this sauce of knowledge, begin to rise above. If they choose to remain ethnically pure, opportunity is lost since their culture does not contain the needed tools.

If I wanted to keep people down, so I can have sheep who think I care, I would restrict their access to the knowledge and tools that allows them to rise above their limited state. You need to dump on all that is successful. You would also tell them to maintain their heritage and not to learn the the language of their host country, so you can limit their choices. Now they need you. The melting pot choses that which makes the best sauce, such as a language of science, finance and international commerce and teach it to all so all can share the future. This is the contrast between liberalism (restriction under the guise of diversity) versus conservatism or melting pot.

The topic says should we respect all cultures. This means should we pretend to respect, like telling a fat women she is thin to make her feel good. Those who don't and/or can't politely lie with a straight smiling face are called prejudice. The melting pot is about truth and honesty and removes the falls that divide.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I'll ignore this part for now ...

People who claim to have solutions, who claim to know better, who present themselves as superior should be challenged, to see if they are actually able to live up to their claims, or whether all they have to offer is stale warm air.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Respect can be a slippery "slope". When to much is added to the "disrespect" side, the balanced beam begins to tilt in that direction. Once it has tilted too far to that side - it takes quite a bit of effort or work to keep any "respect" at all on the other end of the beam.

A different Culture or Religion should, for the most part, be respected. After all, their should be "balance" - if all "we" have is disrespect for "them", why should "they" have any respect at all for "us"?
    Are not a lot of wars predicated on the abhorrent application of Cultural or Religious disrespect?

Speaking of abhorrent. If a Culture or Religion is indeed too "abhorrent", it cannot possibly be maintained for generation after generation.

The perceived as "abhorrent" Cultural and Religious behaviors or "norms" that were pointed out and instigated this Thread, have been in practice for over a thousand years, yet remain.
    The "practitioners" of those Cultures and Religions probably perceive some of "our" behaviors or norms, just as, or possibly, even more "abhorrent".

As pointed out numerous times in this Thread, by removing "all" that "any" find wrong - we would be left with a "Single Culture or Religion".

Whether looked at Culturally, Religiously, Philosophically, Honestly, Scientifically, Historically or just plain Honestly - how long has, can or will a single "one" of anything survived or be be expected to continue to survive?

8. Balerion Banned Banned

But you just said it isn't for us to judge.

Consensus does not equate to objective truth. It's still a subjective opinion.

By my moral standards, no, because the purpose of their campaign would be to create greater suffering. But there is no objective moral measure by which I can say they're wrong and I'm right.

Your notion of war is pretty out there. And your understanding of history is even more suspect. WWI did not make WWII inevitable. You're assuming that because Hitler rose to power that there was no other alternative, but if I'm not mistaken, it was you who said in another thread that the Germans bore much of the responsibility for his atrocities because they did nothing to stop him before he got out of hand. How is it that the Germans are culpable if they were hostages to an inevitability? You can't have it both ways.

If the US hadn't been in lockdown mode, and the Brits still war-weary, Hitler never would have dared step foot outside of Germany. Rather than being an inevitability, Hitler was the most fortunate psychopath this side of Stalin, as his rise came at a time when nobody had the will to step in.

Another baseless claim. I'm disappointed.

There are a few problems with this passage. One, you've already decried international law by contending that it is up to the individual nations how to behave. Two, you classified intervention as the strong ganging up on the weak. Finally, what if divorcing Assad from his weapons ultimately requires war? You've dropped yourself into a paradox by approving of the action but denouncing the means by which it may need to be achieved.

A handful of poor policy choices does not mean that war always results in bad unintended consequences. Not all of the items on your list carried negative consequences, and others were worth it even with the consequences. Al Qaeda is weaker now than it ever has been, regardless of where it is headquartered. The mistake when defending Kuwait against Iraq was not the act itself, but failing to finish the job by deposing Saddam. And many of the bad things that come from intervention can be seen coming a mile away, which negates this idea that war must have opposing negative consequences.

I suggest finding a new fake philosophy.

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

We are the folks who should be respected by traditional, cultural and religious norms if they are to garner our respect. Since, we are certainly not respected by religions, they should not receive our respect.

10. arauca Banned Banned

The beginning post was in reference to female mutilation . So let stick to it . Don't mix atheism and religion .
    Beside the religious customs don't have anything to do with western culture

11. Anew Life isn't a question. Banned

Yeah we should respect norms, especially eccoficient norms. Norms like limited water and soap waste. Norms like do not kill and do not threaten.

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Look pal, I don't need you telling me what to do, mind your own fucking business.

YOU asked the question which contained the word "religion" - so shut the fuck up.

13. arauca Banned Banned

What are drinking so early ?You can not do that I am not homosexual , there some here you can ask them

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, but very few agree with me about that, so we need an algorithm that has some chance of being accepted in the real world. Waiting to judge something until after we see its results is, at least, a bit more sensible than judging it before we have any idea how it will work out in practice.

At some point the powerful will simply assume authority, so let's give them some tools that allow them to at least do a slightly better job of it when it comes down to that.

Sure. But the larger and more diverse the consensus group, the more likely they are to come closer to objective truth--if indeed there is such a thing in the realm of sociology.

After all, we are all the same species. We've only had a paltry few hundred generations to mutate from the more-or-less homogeneous ancestral African population, and that's not long enough to result in major changes in the archetypes and other components of our psychology. (Unlike dogs, who in the same time span have gone through many thousands of generations and now indeed have instincts quite different from wolves.)

In other words, we're all wired pretty much the same way. If you mix us in a bowl to blend out the accretions that arose after separation into distinct communities with their own traditions, you'll get something close to "objective truth," as the term can be appropriated to apply to our Inner Caveman. The major difference from our I.C. is that nearly all of us now live in much larger communities than he did, and we've had to negotiate with him to stop him from going all Paleolithic on us too often.

I've often noted that if only a few Inner Cavemen act up, the institutions of civilization will minimize the damage. Give him a pizza, a recliner, a TV and a domesticated wolf at his feet who thinks he's god, and he'll settle back down. But when an entire community goes Paleolithic all at once, we have a war.

It's the classic quarrel between your Inner Caveman and the civilized person with the reasoned and learned overlay that redefines his "tribe" as tens or hundreds of millions of people, most of whom are mere abstractions to him, yet nonetheless work in harmony and cooperation because the past 12,000 years have consistently proven (with a few backslides along the way) that this give us all a better life.

Making your neighbors suffer makes your own life worse, because you need their cooperation to keep the community clean, watch out for the safety of unmonitored children, mow their lawn to keep your property value high, etc. In other words, it's in your own selfish interest to be civilized.

I could phone 100 people right this moment--all intelligent and well-educated--who would assure you that it's not.

It wasn't just drugs and racism that we were right about!

Excuse me??? I don't even need to rely on friends to back that up. I've read historians and political analysts who said the same thing. The Treaty of Versailles humiliated the Germans, and the Germans are not a people who accept humiliation lying down. It also impoverished them in myriad ways, such as declaring their trademarks void, for example nearly destroying Bayer A.G.'s income from aspirin.

It was that humiliation that made them ready to elect a bad-ass Führer who was going to pay back the rest of the world--starting with the Jews, Mesopotamian civilization's whipping-boys since before the advent of Christianity.

The Great Depression knocked Germany's already-fragile postwar economy into chaos, with annual inflation rates that seem mathematically impossible today. This too was blamed on the victors of WWI, especially the Americans who, it was rather reasonably felt in the Third Reich, should have had no problem staying on prosperous footing since the war was not fought on our soil and we had nothing to rebuild. By German reasoning we should A) have entered the war on the German side and B) kept our financiers on a tighter leash so that the Depression could not have happened.

My parents assured me that a great many Americans felt the same way, insisting that the British sank the Lusitania in order to shame us into entering on their side--this was disproven only after they died. And also that the may-they-rot-in-hell WCTU subversively campaigned for solidarity with the Brits because most of our breweries were founded by Germans and this would make it easier to outlaw beer. As for the Depression, well yeah, we simply weren't doing a very good job of managing our economy, sorta like today.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sure. But the mishandling of the Treaty of Versailles played a big part in simply getting him into office. BTW, he was shrewder than people give him credit for. He quickly understood the power of electronic technology, and embraced radio as a way to brainwash his people with his passionate rhetoric and well-composed speeches.

All our government has managed to do with today's hot new electronic technology (the internet) is embarrass itself!

Sorry, the Quote window doesn't retain a nested quote so I don't know what you're referring to.

But if individual nations decide to cooperate and establish international law, then each of them has sworn to uphold it. Duh?

Indeed. I didn't advocate intervention, merely noted that if it happens it's "fair" according to the rules by which all involved parties have agreed to play. Again, I don't have my original passage to quote from, so forgive me if I gave the wrong impression. There are no absolutes in real life so obviously situations may occasionally occur in which ganging up is the only rational response, but I'm not convinced that this is one of those.

Sorry, again I may have not expressed myself clearly. Or perhaps with a day to digest this I've reached a better position on the matter which I feel more comfortable defending. The West may indeed do something that causes war in Syria, especially given our track record in the past few decades. That doesn't mean that The Last Hippie is going to put a fucking yellow ribbon on his door.

A handful??? How about a consistent pattern since at least Vietnam, and arguably Korea??? Some people think meddling in the breakup of Yugoslavia was okay, but the last time I picked up a newspaper those people are still shooting at each other.

I disagree with both statements.

Perhaps. But by setting ourselves up as the nation who is going to restart the Crusades and make war on Muslims anyplace we can find them (this is inevitable when we keep blundering into conflicts where both sides are Muslim!), we're slowly alienating all of the world's one billion Muslims, which just doesn't seem like a good idea. Even in "moderate" Muslim countries like Malaysia and Bangladesh, people are sending money to organizations whose avowed goal is to destroy us. All one of them has to do is bribe (or blackmail) the right bunch of Pakistani officials and they might be pretty close to getting their hands on a couple of nukes. If you've seen the reports on the sad state of security at America's ports, it will be no big problem for them to get those nukes into the country and detonate them in one of our densely populated cities, by purely low-tech means.

Which Muslim capital will we nuke in retaliation first? Right now might not be too early to emigrate to Australia.

So we would have had the new instability in the Middle East, and the availability of a new Shiite country as Iran's ally, 25 years earlier? With one of the stupidest men who has ever occupied the White House in charge? That would not be a mistake???

Well gee. In my paradigm, the most "bad thing" that comes from war is the killing of human beings. How do you justify that?

Huh??? Until the 16th century, Western culture was almost completely shaped by Christian doctrine. For another 300 years after the Reformation, Christianity and Christian leaders continued to play an enormous role in the development of the West. Even the United States Declaration of Independence and our Constitution have passages that are clearly inspired by the Bible.