Should we be allowed to eat Humans?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Oct 15, 2008.

?

Should we eat humans and other animls?

1. We should eat the stupid animals that are below us only. (they are weak!)

43.5%
  2. We should not eat any animals, we should suck on the nuts, twigs and berries of the land.

30.4%
  3. We should eat anything we want, that guy thinks human meat is special, I would eat his child

8.7%
  4. We should eat everything, animals, plants, trees, cars, houses, blocks of metal, planets.(aka other)

17.4%
  1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Ooh, I just found out what "cornerstone" species are ...they're animals that usually live in areas where there's lot of stones with sharp corners on them.

So now I understand your concerns for such creatures. We should all be concerned for the little devils ...walkin' around on all those sharp-cornered stones must be painful.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

By the way, are there any "roundstone" species?

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

You are incapable of seeing the benefits of the fact that humans want, between us, every species on Earth to live with us. So it seems to be alright by you that we risk a lot of human lives, use violence to control a lot of human lives, and destroy what is left of human rights, to enforce separation, but it is somehow wrong to live with the animals that humanity grew up with.

You talk about cornerstones but I think your mortar is way too loose.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. swarm Registered Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

Its estimated that 99% of all previous species are currently extinct.

Present day — [Holocene extinction event] ... Some, such as E. O. Wilson of Harvard University, predict that humanity's destruction of the biosphere could cause the extinction of one-half of all species in the next 100 years. ... The extinction of many megafauna near the end of the most recent ice age is also sometimes considered part of the Holocene extinction event. Some paleontologists, however, question whether the available data supports a comparison with mass extinctions in the past.

65 million years ago (Ma) — at the Cretaceous-Paleogene transition ...about 17% of all families and 50% of all genera went extinct. (75% species)...

205 Ma — at the Triassic-Jurassic transition (the Triassic-Jurassic extinction event) about 20% of all marine families (55% genera) as well as most non-dinosaurian archosaurs, most therapsids, and the last of the large amphibians were eliminated. 23% of all families and 48% of all genera went extinct.

251 Ma — at the Permian-Triassic transition, Earth's largest extinction (the P/Tr or Permian-Triassic extinction event) killed 53% of marine families, 84% of marine genera, about 96% of all marine species and an estimated 70% of land species (including plants, insects, and vertebrate animals). 57% of all families and 83% of all genera went extinct.[6]. The "Great Dying" had enormous evolutionary significance: on land it ended the dominance of mammal-like reptiles and created the opportunity for archosaurs and then dinosaurs to become the dominant land vertebrates; in the seas the percentage of animals that were sessile dropped from 67% to 50%. The whole late Permian was a difficult time for at least marine life — even before the "Great Dying".

360-375 Ma — Late Devonian extinction. Near the Devonian-Carboniferous transition at the end of the Frasnian Age in the later part(s) of the Devonian Period. A prolonged series of extinctions eliminated about 70% of all species. ...19% of all families of life and 50% of all genera went extinct.

440-450 Ma — at the Ordovician-Silurian transition two Ordovician-Silurian extinction events occurred, and together are ranked by many scientists as the second largest of the five major extinctions in Earth's history in terms of percentage of genera that went extinct. 27% of all families and 57% of all genera went extinct.

488 Ma — a series of mass extinctions at the Cambrian-Ordovician transition (the Cambrian-Ordovician extinction events) eliminated many brachiopods and conodonts and severely reduced the number of trilobite species.
    ====

Mass extinction is built into evolution. It clears out the deadwood and lets new species give it a go.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This is a teleological explanation, but evolution is not teleological.

Evolution has no "aim", and "clearing out the deadwood" is an aim.

8. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

People who disrespect their own species are deadwood.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

MetaKron:

I hereby notify you that I will no longer engage in direct interaction with you.

I regard your posts as a waste of time, and you are, after all, barking mad.

Have a nice life!

10. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Does that mean you're through spitting on me?

It is worth noting that James calls me "barking mad" for expressing loyalty for my own species and my own culture.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  11. swarm Registered Senior Member

Its teleological only as an artifact of being discussed.

I'm only making observations about the process of evolution. Extinction, death, killing, eating meat ... these are all inextricibly part of the ecosystem even though they offend you.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The unthinking ecosystem, perhaps. I thought we were talking about educated human beings who have a moral sense.

My mistake.

13. swarm Registered Senior Member

We are neither seperate from nor exempt from the ecosystem. It in part is as thinking as we are.

14. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

The poll fails so epically.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The poll is idiotic, although it does point out the true sentiments of Metakron and Pronatalist.. I'm assuming most of the others chose option 1 jokingly.. (hoping).

16. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

My true sentiments are just fine, thank you.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't think so, they seem to equal those of psychopaths.

18. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Just being an enlightened human.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

lol

You sure can be funny, I'll give you that

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I think if people want to eat anything they can IF it's either consensual (cannibalism in the case of people will to bleed for "Vampires" comes to mind) or there is abundance of the food (aka: No eating endangered animals).

21. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Consensual cannabilism? Will they make forms to sign at the hospital before you have surgery...?

Check one, none, or all that apply:

Box 1) DNR

Box 2) Organ Doner

Box 3) Body will be donated for consensual cannabilism to flesh-hungry humans...yum!