Should this site be renamed 'Politics and Theology Forums'?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by McMurphy, Jan 27, 2011.

1. McMurphy Registered Senior Member

First of all don't get me wrong, I don't view science and technology in a vacuum. Much of what we see changing in these fields is as much about the will for 'something to be done' as the ability to do it.

Now it may just be crazy season at present (I can't say as I haven't been here long enough to judge) but the vast majority of the new threads seem to be about Politics (mainly US politics), closely followed by Theology.

More annoyingly (to me at least) the technology threads often seem to degenerate into threads about editorials on world politics. As I said, politics plays a huge part in steering technology, but these are not short contextualising comments, they are properly off-topic, sometimes for pages.

Obviously, as I've said, I'm new to this site (and a very busy and engaging site it can be), but I was simply wondering if some of the most prolific posters would be willing to pull things back on track a bit more; plus maybe realise that not every thread has to start on (or be pulled round to) an America-centric view.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

In case no one has said it, "Welcome". I'm relatively new (a couple of months) so you'll have to take my comments with a grain of salt. Your criticisms are valid but I doubt anything is going to change. People seem to love to get in each other's faces on boards. However, for all its flaws, this is probably the best board I've been part of. There are real scientists, engineers and mathematicians debating real science here. Of course, there are also the usual gaggle of creationists and religious kooks that infest all boards

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

It's a religious and America-centric world. Certainly, you realize that.

It really hit me when I saw how engaged people of other nations are when it's comes to US politics. It's an eye opener when you realize the person you're debating has never set foot the country, yet thinks they know the answers to every issue.

Ah, well.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

substantiate, by way of linkage, to a statistically significant proportion of threads in the "tech" fori

you too

8. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Trust me, that trend isn't isolated to the 'Tech' subfora.

You're right in that, all too often, issues are politicized. To be quite honest however, the responsibility for this kind of 'degeneration' falls to the posters themselves, as well as the Moderators. People need to remember that they should be policing themselves when posting, and when that fails, a Moderator should step in.

While I'm in complete agreement with you on this, again, that myopia is the fault of the poster(s)...

Welcome to the Site.

9. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

I think that it’s fair to say that the “hard science” sub-forums (Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Astronomy, Earth Sci) are mostly conducted in a fairly scientific fashion without the politicising of discussions. Unscientific threads are rapidly re-directed to a more appropriate forum. So, if it’s strictly science you want, then you will need to limit yourself to those forums. If you stray outside those limits, then you know what you’re getting yourself in to.

10. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Most americans have never set foot in the Afghanistan. Yet they have an answer to the issue.

Your argument is invalid. You don't need to have direct contact with a physical object to have an opinion about it.

Physicists discuss the nature of black holes without ever being in one.

Biologists discuss evolution without ever holding it in their hands.

Politicians make decisions on people they have never met.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Perhaps it should be renamed.
    Sciforums is a good name, but when do we see any skiing threads on here?
    Seldom if ever.

12. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

It's not an arguement. It's an observation.

And while some of your examples may be correct , the op question is why here? For which I've provided an answer.
    America and christianity are the drivers of much of the worlds dealings and thus become targets for everyone including atheist scientists

However, it was somewhat puzzling to me when I learned (via sciforums) that many people on the other side of the globe followed US politics more closely than most people in that live here.
    Our lack of interest is potentially the reason we let politicians get so out of hand at times.

13. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Thank you for your views. Sincerely. We don't want them, though. Sciforums is a closed society. Outsiders not welcome!

Just kidding...

Which technology threads are these? Do you have any particular examples?

I can see where technology topics, especially the development and application of new technologies, would necessarily involve going into politics, since alot of research and the drive to implement new technological advances or initiate new projects is very often funded at the government level, hence the whims of the politicians and the ruling class/party would dictate much in that arena.
    Scientific research, especially in certain fields, has government hands all over it.

But I totally get where you would have an issue with too much of that. You specifically cite instances where the topic of the thread is wholly derailed into political debate.
    I'd have to ask again for specific examples?

As for the preponderance of political and theological topics, a few reasonable explanations would be:

• Everyone has a political opinion? Politics ALWAYS affects everyone, in the here and now, and you don't necessarily need a degree or any qualifications to have an opinion, or point out something that you feel is wrong.
    • Not everyone around here feels adequately educated or knowledgeable to discuss certain scientific dilemmas.
    • Alot of science is kind of set in stone. Unless you have a specific question about something, or need clarification, there isn't always a market for discussion in certain fields.
      Many of the heated debates involve, again, areas where there is room for debate, often because political winds have favored one interpretation or theory above another.
    • Scientific topics, like I mentioned above, have a degree of opinion or politics attached. It's not always popular to present an argument that challenges prevailing consensus, or to champion an idea that has been blacklisted or deemed unworthy of discussion. So maybe some discussions have been cut short simply because people don't care to get involved in contentious dialogs. Sometimes there's even hostility.
    • I guess that sums it up: you can't escape politics and opinionated rationalization unless you stick to something that really can't be debated. And those topics are either few or uninteresting?

14. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Want a good example of why someone would avoid some of the science forums?

Sun's 11 year cycle..
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=106085

The opening topic (question really) is ridiculed from the outset, by a person who in the same breath says that science doesn't have all the answers.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Ironically, much of my problem in posting to the Science sections is that I'm leery of putting some of myself - my ideas and theories - into the public register. I've been scooped once - badly - and I'm hesitant to give anyone any ammunition to do it again.

So dumping on crackpots is the very next bestest thing.

16. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Sweet Geoffrey, please do explain?

17. McMurphy Registered Senior Member

18. McMurphy Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the Welcome!

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, since you ask so nicely:

NO!

OK: what I'm saying is that I'm happy to talk about evolution, and to debate creationists; but I can't talk about a lot of my own angles from my work, simply because I don't want my ideas out in public until my name is officially attached to them. So that limits the really cutting-edge stuff I can talk about.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Complain to the Moderator. That shouldn't be happening.
    Ah, so you've run into S.A.M. too. I'm so sorry!

Oh wait, she actually lived here for a few years while she was a university student. And she still doesn't know anything about America!