Should the treatment of Germans immediately after WWII be taught along with WWII?

Discussion in 'History' started by desi, Mar 6, 2010.

1. desi Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. River Ape Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The entire treatment of Germans, soldiers and civilians is a big joke when you consider what their inquisitors track record has been

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Anything that happened and can be supported with strong evidence should be taught. It's well known that many Nazi troops died in western prison camps under similar conditions to what they imposed earlier on the people they themselves conquered. Same with the Japanese, they did awful stuff to the people they conquered, and then they got nuked as a small taste of the rampage they'd been inflicting for the past decade. Vengeance is a powerful motivator in war, indeed I personally think that's the true reason the Bush admin chose Iraq (i.e. pick convenient Muslim country to beat down as a message to all the rest).

8. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

"The Costly Attempt To Exterminate The People Of Germany"
    What the f-ck? So is that why there are more than 80 millions of them..huh?

Just reading a few pages of this book makes me think that this has some apologist and revisionist intentions.
    I mean, it's okay to be taught how the Germans were treated after the mess they've brought upon whole of Europe, but branding the behaviour of the allies as bad is a fucking joke especially when compared to the disaster the Germans brought upon us. It almost sounds as if we've started the war, and forced the poor Germans to do all the atrocities they've done.
    We gave them candy. We gave them money to rebuild their country. Personally, I believe that the Germans profited the most of the outcome after World War 2 -- look at where they stand now - on top of EU while the nations that were once flourishing nations are still suffering because of the consequences the 2nd World War had for them. Economical wonder you say? Bullshit. And honestly, did they EVER pay for everything they've done? It's not just about the poor Jews they let rot in camps, you know. I mean when you hear what they've paid to the Greeks as indemnity for damages....then it's really

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

To the other we still don't know where all of the stolen assets are. There really is no need to make the treatment of Germans look so dramatic: Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Conclusion: Yes, it should be taught, but in a much drier form, cut the dramatic undertone.

9. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

i´m sure that sexuality is a confusing topic for you, but it has something to do with bees and flowers

quite possible, but facts are facts, you know.

uk and france did that, if you trust wikipedia.

some candy in exchange for schlesien, not bad. no really, get your facts straight, before you make ridiculous claims. the marshallplan brought 13 milliards dollar to europe, western germany got 1,4. thanks for that, but it surely didn´t propell this country to the anywhere near the top. i guess it wasn´t even enough, to give everybody a roof over their head. Another thing worthy to mention is that it wasn´t only altruistic reasons to give some money to germany. it was planned to make deutschland a huge farm - but the allies found out, that it also could be a decent buffer against the soviet union. of course you´ll still think that without war, czechs would be now at the top. flourishing my ass.

if you would know how to use google, you wouldn´t look stupid now.
    west germany paid till 1983 for ww1 14 milliards DM, east germany about 1-3 millards DM. until 3.october 2010, the last 56 million Euro for ww1 will be paid, so we can close that chapter, almost 100 years after the war. ww2 was even more expensive - found numbers on wikipedia that suggest compensation payments of about 65 millards euro. would be interesting to know, if all the stolen railroads, factories, territories, trademarks, antiques, slave labor and patents are included. that germans have pumped countless millards into the EU also doesn´t seem to be important.

it only looks dramatic, because it´s true.
    i for my part don´t care if allied war crimes are accepted as what they are - war crimes. war is over, germany got punished, there is no need to cry about the past.

10. kororoti Registered Senior Member

A German friend of mine talked with me about this once, about how during the invasion of Berlin his grandfather had to hide his grandmother on a roof so the Russian soldiers wouldn't rape her. I don't know if that was just paranoia on his part, or if rapes were happening all over the city. The version you hear in history classes is always so cut and dried, good guys and bad guys..... unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  11. jmpet Valued Senior Member

War is hell.

12. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

IDK, lets ask some Jews?

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I believe there was some brutality against German soldiers in camps, but all Germans? Kind of unlikely.

15. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

massive air raids against civilian targets with the only goal to break minds surely qualify as war crimes. and that´s just a rather obvious example. the nation that committed the fewest crimes were the usofa, because they weren´t full of hate.
    edit: uhmm ... i just remembered that this thread is about crimes after the war, so forget the air raids. but there´s still the looting, mass-raping and slave labour.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  16. superstring01 Moderator

Indeed. Would that all conquering nations, throughout history, were as magnanimous as the US/UK at the end of WWII. Germany, Japan and Italy received billions in aid and both experienced industrial miracles that places them at the top of the world. Even today, Germany and Japan top the world's list of quality exporting nations. Germany is still the world's leading exporter and Japan is still the world's leading product marketer.

~String

17. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

which has nothing to do with war crimes. if i give 1 million euro to you, am i allowed to poke with a flail in your ass !? by the way, this money wasn´t a gift. it was just a lousy payment for ALL patents germany hold back then.

(http://waronyou.com/forums/index.php?topic=2292.0)

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

True. Although now that we mention it, the treatment of German women by Soviets in the Eastern Zone was...less than optimal, shall we say.

Nothing's too cut-and-dry, I guess.

19. superstring01 Moderator

I wasn't addressing the abysmal history of Soviet treatment. Just western.

~String

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I hadn't realized what it was like in Germany until I went to Hamburg this summer. Hamburg was the target of a massive Allied air strike to break the will of the German people. There was a naval base in Hamburg, but the civilian areas at the other side of the city were particularly hard hit. The same happened in Dresden.

I visited St. Nikolai's cathedral in the center of Hamburg, which was partially destroyed in the bombing. It is now a museum dedicated to those who suffered everywhere during the war. The attitude was pretty much ``We fucked up, but that doesn't change that a lot of people died here.''

Allied air forces bombed civilian targets during the war, while the Germans gassed Jews and randomly shot rockets over the English Chanel. Had the Germans won, we would have had history books written about how evil the Europeans were to the Germans after the first world war, and how Hitler was mostly misunderstood by the rest of the world. At the end of the day, it's easy to sit around and wax prosaic about what might have been a war crime 60 years ago.

21. otheadp Banned Banned

The unglorified but known fact that during WW2 many allied and Russian soldiers raped many women wherever they went, be they German or even their own people. There was no orderly war like we're seeing today in Iraq or Afghanistan --- it was a dog eat dog zoo.

German soldiers will get no sympathy from me for the probably documented maltreatment that they received post WW2 in prison camps. It was on far better than what they were doing themselves, and way better than they deserved anyway.

22. desi Valued Senior Member

If you got drafted to fight for your country when you were 14, with the choice of either go to war to protect your country or get shot. So you go to war. Then you get captured. Do you deserve to starve in a prison camp? Should your sisters and mother be subject to rape and robbery?

I don't think its reasonable to blame individuals for the crimes of their government, otherwise we'd all be guilty of one horrible crime or another because every government tends to involve itself in war or oppression of civilians at one time or another.

23. Doreen Valued Senior Member