Should science be only for atheists

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by yaracuy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Freedom from the worst excesses of religion is a good start. Then there is room for secular humanist values.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Lots of atheists have no problem at all with the humanitarian teachings of Jesus. Ever heard of the Jefferson Bible?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

For someone who claims to use science you have a pretty poor definition of "proof".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. drumbeat Registered Senior Member

Can everything from the last 10 billion years be explained by scientific study?

You will ask me for proof.

My response will be to show you that proof.

you will tell me what about Jesus, God or others
    ......and so we will be going on and on.

8. yaracuy Banned Banned

Did we not have the experience for 70 years in the Soviet union Will there be freedom of speech it the secular have control over education . Lets look on what taken place on this forum , or the the public schools, would you no do the same thing as the church did in the dark period in Europa . please look into history

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. yaracuy Banned Banned

I don't know what is tour impression of scientist . If your intention to put me down that is fine.
    I made my life in chemistry for over 40 years
    For your information , In lab work you have a set goal , then you try to reach it. In lab you are not in a philosophy class ,were you really don't have a clear objective .

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Then that would be closer to technology than science.
    In science you cannot have a set goal - you perform an experiment to see what happens.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Religion is the source if dictatorship, and Russia was perfectly primed for it. Stalin ruled like a divine king and did not discriminate between threats to his power from either religious, internal, or illusory enemies.

12. yaracuy Banned Banned

I discussed with you about the beginning of the earth . I am actually interested on how was life created. What did I get BS, reference that did not support your and other argument . Hercules Rockefeller Is a knowledge fellow I respect him from other forum, We don't have an answer , but they keep trowing on me time and nature , by that argument my Creator is a better answer for me . I am not going to stop in believing in Him even the chemical assembly is don in the lab.
    There are two thing , which are matter and energy , and matter is not going to move without energy .

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You didn't get BS, you got an incomplete theory, which is better than, "God did it".

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

We don't have answer. Yet.
    So you have decided that it must be god.
    How is that scientific?

Huh? How does this support your point?

Where did I mention Hawking?

And you, evidently, know less.

15. yaracuy Banned Banned

I don't know how much you know about USSR , but would suggest you read on how that regime intended to abolish religion, where the religious leaders ended.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

So you've changed your mind?

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So what? Atheism isn't an ideology that aims to abolish religion.

18. yaracuy Banned Banned

Why is there objection to eliminate prayer in school ?

Why was the stone of 10 commandment eliminated in a southern state court house ?

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

To protect religion.

20. yaracuy Banned Banned

Yes to protect the religious sect of atheism.

Atheism in our time can be expressed freely in our western society . Based what we see , would religion expressed freely in an majority of atheist ?:bugeye:

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

There's no such thing.
    By definition.

22. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

No, to protect religion and the right to practice or not practice whatever religion one wants. Not every religion in America believes in the 10 commandments, and the 10 commandments are not and should not be enforced as if they were themselves the law. If a Buddhist goes to court, or if an atheist does, they should feel as though they have a fair shot at a fair hearing, even if their opponent is a born again Christian.

In the same way, everyone is free to pray in schools. Everyone. What was banned was a public prayer led by the teachers or administrators. Why? Because not everyone expresses their faith through prayer, and no one should be made to feel like an outcast based on their religious practices (or lack of them).

23. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Matthew 6:5-6
    I always thought that was self explanatory.