Should Racism be tolerated in these forums?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Stryder, Nov 14, 2007.

?

Should Racism be tolerated on these forums?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2007.
  1. Yes.

22.8%
  2. No.

56.1%
  3. Abstain/Undecided

21.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeepThought Banned Banned

The fact that you spoke English perfectly and were presumably a well behaved student suggests that no behavioral modifications on your part would alter Denton's image of you as completely other.

Since Denton suggested you could do something to fit in more he presumably wasn't even aware that it was your actual physical appearance that was so troubling to him.

Do you think that what is illustrated here is someone's failure to correctly connect rational cognition with feeling as a result of the effects of some formal, functioning, racist ideology which intentionally mis-wires those connections?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. listeria_m Registered Senior Member

It's become so darn easy to tag someone a racist nowadays....theres a fine line between racial hatred, prejudices and general stereotyping.

Do we have to tolerate racial hatred?- NO

Do we have to tolerate prejudices/biases? - To an extent.

Do we have to tolerate stereotyping? - Well IMO it can simply be ignored.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I still find it slightly disturbing that there are no qualified people on the moderator team who can actually distinguish between racism and science.

Apparently nobody shares my concern that the nuclear missile lauch key is being guarded by monkeys, so to speak.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mountainhare Banned Banned

S.A.M:
    Wow, you're actually starting to make sense for once. However, I have a gripe with this particular comment:

'Racists' are not a disruptive influence. It is the posters who respond to them by making a mountain out of a molehill who are the disruptive influence. I think that the 'anti-racists' believe that if a few individuals start making negative observations about certain races or cultures (or any 'vulnerable group', as they like to call them), a whole scale genocide is just around the corner.

The repressive response by the moderation team on sciforums to ideology that is not mainstream only encourages these individuals to dig their heels in and create a disruption. Add to this the hypocrisy of the mods and certain 'untouchable' members and (usually left wing) ideologies, and the constant accusation of 'whining' and 'trolling' whenever a complaint is lodged, and you create an environment where posters are likely to rebel.

I have nothing against criticism. It's the hypocrisy which bothers me. But I know that things will never change. Once you are marked as a 'troublemaker' by certain power holding cliques on this forum, you might as well just find a new website to post on.

8. Bells Staff Member

We had a moderator who was a biologist once. But he quit when he decided he could do more by striking below the belt. Plus his moderator status rendered him unpopular.. especially when he decided to crack down on any individual who had a problem with HIV/AIDS... there were banning's, thread closures and deletions from that particular episode, if I recall correctly.

So he quit. Too much pressure and all that apparently. Anywho.. you were saying?

Ah yes, the primates with the launch key. It's ok, we are apparently all too uneducated to know how to turn it...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

10. Bells Staff Member

I feel the need to groom myself. My fur is looking a bit tangled.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

your memory serves you correctly.

And I learned from my mistakes.

and boohoo..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Aren't you the same moderator who had to ask me whether a post was racist or not in a PM?

And I was at that time seen as a disruptive element.

Still you needed my expertise on the matter because you were not sure on the legitimacy of the science behind the claims.

And now you participate in childish behaviour in this serious thread?

Because?

13. Bells Staff Member

Really?

You went from being on the receiving end to the throwing end, and look how well you fling now. I read through a lot of my old PM's the other day. Great trip down memory lane, monkey. The changes I have witnessed of late are astounding. Especially when taken in context to some of those PM's. Makes me wonder which image is real and which is false. Ah well, guess we'll never know.

But I digress..

Do you think racism of any kind should be tolerated monkey? You seemed to be quite vocal against it in the past. Have you had a change of heart now?

14. mountainhare Banned Banned

Looks like someone has finally seen through S.A.M's ass kissing charade.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm quite clear about my viewpoint in the second post of this thread. Feel free to actually read the thread before asking about my views.

And I have seen nothing so far to change my views on this matter. In fact, my views have been strenghtened by the behavioural display of the moderators since this post was entered.

16. Bells Staff Member

Yes. And? Feeling some sense of amusement at the thought someone threatened my children? Good for you pet. You da man.

I guess the past was an illusion and a lie.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Apparently I was mistaken about your expertise, since you seem to be unable to tell a thread title from an warning for meaningless post content?

18. Bells Staff Member

Oh I had read your post, monkey. What a turn around you have had in regards to racism in this forum. I remember the days when you used to scream for the banning of those who did display racist propaganda. Times have changed, eh monkey?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed. Toodlepip and all that.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Ah...typical moderator behaviour.

You assume motive. The motive was to show how you behave like a little baby. still.

But indeed I felt amusement. Certainly.

After all you turned into a complete **** and why should I not be amused at your misfortunes.

You reap what you sow after all.

I have never seen you stand up for friends. Why expect me to feel pity for someone like you?

But that's all a tangent. It's maybe better to show the proper example, you being a mod and all, and actually keep on topic, instead of always trying to find a personal flaw in a person.

you might even try to adress the issues.

but of course it is easier to make me say something nasty and get one of your buddies to ban me.

way to go. You have proven once more my point. you cannot be trusted with the tool of 'racism elimination'.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  20. mountainhare Banned Banned

Bells:
    Look how well you treat monkey now that he isn't a part of your little clique.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Anyone who thinks I am into ass kissing is in for a rude awakening. I can be loyal to my friends without requiring myself to be blind to their weaknesses.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Interesting how some people jump at the opportunity to create divisiveness and sow conflict.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I have no weaknesses other then that I am too sexy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.