Should moderation be applied equally - even to theists?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by phlogistician, May 18, 2011.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

Er, HELLO! James made the claim:

I said that's wrong, BUT IT IS JamesR's claim! It is for HIM to substantiate, not me to defend, got that?

Again, the point slips through your fingers. The word 'atheist' is being misused. We cannot debate substance if we do not agree on the meaning of the terms of debate. James has resorted to typing gibberish to try and make a point, and of course, failed.

What points do you think have been made?

James has used narrow definitions, and misused terms. That's not patience, it's underhanded debating tactics. It's called a 'Straw Man' fallacy. He's setting up terms for his convenience and alleging they apply to me. They don't.

Sorry, are you him or yourself? Care to think before you post? Also, I've done nothing ban worthy. This is a forum, where we debate, that implies differences of opinion. If you cannot tolerate such, feel free to go somewhere where dogma is de rigueur.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Sure you have. I am an atheist, but the narrow definition you are trying to get away with does not describe me. What then, am I?

Schoolyard.

I'm calling you on your misuse of words. So far you have not adequately defended your abuse of the terms of debate.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

and how is he to know your experiences with children?
    and again you avoid the question..

and the rest of your post is baseless arguing, avoidance,and posturing..

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

phlogistician:

I think you're profoundly confused. You claim to disbelieve in something you can't even define. But I've already made that point several times.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

THAT is exactly the point, he cannot, so making the claim was absurd!

And again you miss the point. It's not up to me to defend my position, but for James to substantiate his claim. He cannot do that.

And you just don't get it.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

No I don't. That's you stuffing words into the mouth of your straw man.

I have repeatedly corrected you on this. I do not adhere to the viewpoint you claim I do. Please make your argument honestly, or resign.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You don't disbelieve in gods now?

When did you change your mind?

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

James, put the straw down.

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i wasn't asking you to defend your position, i was just simply asking what your experience is with kids..
    AND
    why is it you think you need to be defensive?
    this is supposed to just be a debate about the issue, not a war over who is the better person.

what i have noticed about this particular disscusion, is that everything (well, most everything) that you have accused JamesR of, you are guilty of yourself..
    you speak from your feelings, it seems it is more important for you to protect yourself, than from actually discussing anything.
    don't be so immature as to ask for proof of this, you know you are not going to admit to anything that makes you feel worth less.

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

According to who?

Because a lot of participants at this website - including a healthy portion of the moderation - seem primarily interested in the one-upsmanship side of things. Surely you've noticed this? There are good examples in this thread, if you haven't.

On blogmanship.

14. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

God is disbelieved and/or disproved as It is defined by the believers. Usually it is said to be a first Being who created everything else, at least for the three main religions, one who also intercedes.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

phlogistician:

Ah! So you do disbelieve in gods after all? Correct?

Can you define "gods"? No, you say you can't. Correct?

Ergo, it is fair to say that you disbelieve in something you cannot define. Correct?

I can't see any straw here. I'm just going on what you've explicitly stated in your posts. But please confirm that I have your position correct in this post.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

James, I have repeatedly told you I do not conform to your narrow definitions, yet here you are, thinking you are clever, and have wrapped me up in your logic. You haven't, you've failed to define me accurately. Your 'logic' does not apply.

From another thread, another SF member's take on belief and definition. I am not alone. Seems you are:

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2766969&postcount=25

Quadraphonics has also made the point clear to you.

Why do you dishonestly cling to this misnomer? Is that all you really have? You have to resort to twisting words, narrowing definitions, and stuffing straw men?

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Well, if you're not using standard logic, then this discussion is going to go nowhere fast.

I really didn't expect you to have to throw logic out the window in order to support your argument. But here we are.

Interesting.

18. WillNever Valued Senior Member

James, that makes no sense.

That would be like me asking "how do you know you lack a belief in a certain alien species, when you don't know what that alien species is like?"

This little dilemma could easily be solved if people used the terms "people who do not believe in god' and "people who believe god is not real" instead of trying to throw around weighty terms like "atheist" as if they meant something definitive.

If you have a problem with such terms, then describe yourself outright to avoid any further conflicts over the definition of that word. Problem solved.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

OK James, that's another nail in the coffin of your silly game, courtesy of WillNever. Are you going to start debating honestly now?

20. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

at what cost?
    and in who's eye's are they trying to validate themselves by getting the 'one up'?

lol..that was good for a laugh..

but there is a disqualifier in it..

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

WillNever:

Probably you should read the thread from the start, so you understand what you're commenting on.

No. It would be like asking "how do you know you lack a belief in a certain alien species when you say you can't define the word 'alien'?"

See?

No it couldn't.

phlogistician claims that he is one of your "people who do not believe in god", but when you ask him what a god is his reply is "Uhh... duh... don't know, I can't define it."

So his basic problem is that he claims to disbelieve in something he has no concept of.

phlogistician:

'fraid not.

Sorry he got your hopes up.

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

No I don't.

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

Putting that in quotes, as if I had said those actual words is rather dishonest.