Should moderation be applied equally - even to theists?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by phlogistician, May 18, 2011.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This and That

I hear this complaint a lot from members, but, in truth, rarely ever witness the event in question. Can you point me to the example? I'm looking at your infraction record, and also our suspension logs in the back room, and not seeing it.

• • •​

Variations on a theme, to be honest—James hears that one a lot. From liberals who think Republicans are being racist; from conservatives who think it's unfair to accuse one another of racism; from theists who think they're being brutalized by atheists; from atheists who think their atheism entitles them to treat other people poorly; from Zionists who think genocide is okay; from Muslims who think all anyone in the West does is make excuses for Israel; from scientists; from pseudoscientists; from conspiracy theories. In fact, as I've discovered over the years, the only real problems with internet communities, it turns out, are rules and moderators. If only we'd simply shut up and let the people do what they do best, sites like Sciforums could have solved all the world's problems by now.

Members ought to remember that every time they complain about someone else, they are, essentially and functionally, proposing a standard that will apply to them as well. And I admit that, when someone who—like you—has benefitted greatly over time from unfair application of rules complains because someone put a check on his bigotry, yes, we do chuckle and, no, it doesn't help your prestige any.

The reality is that no, this staff is not perfect. Indeed, we make plenty of mistakes. But you probably, on balance, owe my colleagues a great measure of thanks, as more of their mistakes have played to your favor over time than against you. I would even go so far as to suggest that the reason your name has never been permanently stricken from the roles of active members is that we've catered to thin-skinned, prissy types. You know, like atheists who think they can simply declare all theists dishonest, but cry if a theist is allowed to speak their mind.

Yeah, you've received great benefit, Phlogistician. You owe some people your thanks.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

um..wanted to jump in with my two cents..

But JamesR addressed them all.:bawl:

If there was a token system in place i would Donate tokens to you James..(hint,hint) (see here)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

phlogistician:

I'll assume you agree with me on the all the points I put in my previous post that you did not address in your reply. Moving on...

I disagree with you. I'm inclined to call somebody who tells the odd white lie, for example, honest. One lie does not tar somebody as unforgivably dishonest forever. But maybe you're different. And I'm sure you've never told a lie at all.

I notice you avoided listing some of the things you believe theists are dishonest about (as opposed to merely being wrong, which is a different thing).

Sorry if I was unclear. I do not approve of attrocities. There. Is that clear enough?

Apologies again. My personal opinion is that the "rapture", as described by fundamentalist evangelical Christians, will not happen. Clear?

So a single white lie means you're dishonest for life. Tell me, phlogistician: is anybody honest, by your definition?

My inclination is to nip trolls in the bud as far as possible, because they are destructive to the forum. Obviously, a different approach to yours, but one based on my own experience over years.

I never used the words "belief system". It is concerned with belief, though. To pretend otherwise is silly. Quite obviously, you believe there are no gods. Do you dispute that?

I didn't say it was a religion. It does, however, seek to refute the basic premises of theistic religions by denying that the gods of those religions exist. Do you dispute that?

To tell the truth, I can't remember why I banned lsufos. No reason is recorded on the ban list, and that particular ban was a long time ago. Being insane, in and of itself, will not get you banned from sciforums. Trolling or posting meaningless rubbish can, in the long run.

Yes it is. There are three or four subforums here specifically dedicated to philosophy, and that's not counting the ones specifically dedicated to religion.

No. A cop out would be to claim there is no god when you really don't know.

Sure you can. A lot of propositions can be put in either positive or negative form. Exactly the same evidence is used to prove the negative statement "It is not raining now" that is used to disprove the positive statement "It is raining now".

Similarly, all the same evidence that has bearing on the positive proposition "God exists" also has bearing on the negative proposition "God does not exist".

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Great post James. :bravo:

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Well, that's an interesting claim. I would just ask you back it up. I demand you retract the claim I'm a bigot, meanwhile.

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

James, you need to revise what the word 'atheist' means, because I'm not going to go round the houses and burn the straw man you are so busy stuffing. If you can't make your point using the accepted definitions of words, give up.

10. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I just got that line "You've been given much benefit" on another forum I recently left due to inept moderation.

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I figure it thus: If you want a high grade site, you must have high grade contributors. If you provide a good environment, they will come, stay and contribute, making the site better as they do so. That will draw more high quality posters and make the site even better.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

On the contrary, if you moderate unfairly or arbitrarily, play favourites and slap folks around without cause, those quality posters will go away. You will lose their contributions while you aquire....hooey from the remnants. Hooey does not draw quality posters or loyal members, so your site goes from bad to worse, and Internet reputations are just like RW reps - word gets around and folks stay away.

It is very much more difficult to keep me around than it is to get rid of me.

If I don't care for the atmosphere, I take my ball, glove and mitt with me as I go out the door. I am so very fortunate as to be exceptionally well versed in several complex subjects, take great pictures and write pretty well. I have lived a diverse and entertaining life thus far and can tell a good story. The more comfortable I am, the more entertaining I get and the more I contribute. I shall illustrate and elaborate as we go along....as long as I am comfortable here.

12. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Well said stoni...

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You mean you think I ought to adopt whatever your preferred definition of "atheist" is.

It would be a good start if you told me what definition you prefer. Then we can discuss the matter further if you think it is important.

I also note that you ignored most of my previous post.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

James, now you are being deliberately obtuse. Atheism is simply the lack of belief in god(s). We have been over this time and again, right here in Sciforums. Yet, here, you start acting ignorant. It's not becoming.

No point in debating with you when you are starting on false premises, is there?

Oh cute, I see you split this off and renamed the thread. You really are sinking to new lows.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

So you lack a belief in gods.

Somebody asks you "Do you think gods exist? Yes or no."

What's your answer? It's "no", isn't it?

Then they ask you "Do you know for sure that gods don't exist?"

And you say.... what?

This thread is about your complaint about my moderation of one specific post of yours. The thread it was split from concerns potential reform of the infraction/ban/warning system at sciforums.

The current thread is a tangentially matter, so I split it.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

I ask them what they mean by gods.

Yes, I get that, but the name you gave it is taking the piss.

17. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

http://sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2642109&postcount=22

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

phlogistician:

Then you couldn't have answered the previous question: Do you believe that gods exist?

Ok. It looks like we now need to establish what you, phlogistician, mean by gods. Otherwise, when you make a claim such as "there is no evidence for gods" we won't be able to tell what you're referring to.

So, define "god" or "gods" for me, and we'll use your definition from here on. It's important to be on the same page regarding this, or else we'll spend forever talking at cross purposes.

P.S. If you'd like to suggest a more appropriate thread title, I'll consider changing it.

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

I don't of course have one.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

phlogistician:

Hmm... interesting. So when you say you don't believe in gods, you don't know what you're talking about.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

How Dare He!

To: Adoucette

re: Political Suspension Claim

Briefly:

Certainly, sir, you directed me to #2642109/22, which details Superstring's action note in the relevant thread. However, I fail to see anything in that note that suggests your suspension results from disagreement with political leanings.

Furthermore, as Superstring was appointed to his position in part because he is a political conservative, and as many times as my colleagues can tell you he and I have fought over how politics might possibly influence his moderation, one can only wonder just how right-wingnut you must have gone in order to get him to take action against you merely because he disdains your political leanings.

Thus it might occur to some to actually wonder about the allegedly offending post, the one that voiced your politicial leanings so grotesquely violated by Superstring.

That, of course, would be #2642059/15, reproduced in full below:

You're right, Arthur. It could only be your political leanings. Superstring suspended you for the crime of making conservatives look stupid. That's what it was. It couldn't possibly be an off-topic, viciously goading post that contributes nothing to the discussion while trying to poison it. Superstring was politically suppressing you; that's the only thing it can be, right? I mean, look at that post. Just look at it. What the hell is wrong with that? How could anyone who isn't a dolt or simply a two-bit thug find anything wrong with that glorious example of rhetorical perfection for which we all owe you our undying thanks?

Really, man, what am I missing?

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

That's one way to say it, if you are now trying to be derogatory.

But I'm not actually talking about gods, am I? Rather, a lack of belief in whatever definition others have tried to sell me. I hold no personal definition, to do so would mean that some part of what others have told me stuck. It didn't.

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

That James split and renamed this thread,.... and perhaps this reply should have gone elsewhere,...?