Should Mars be terraformed?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by draqon, Jul 7, 2008.

?

Should Mars be terraformed?

1. We should not even venture into space...we should stay on Earth

12.5%
  2. We should venture into space...Mars or not Mars...but later in 100 years or so

9.4%
  3. We should venture into space in these 100 years but settle on the moon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. We should venture into space before 2050, and colonize Mars

9.4%
  5. We should venture into space as fast as we can and colonize Mars

21.9%
  6. We should venture into space and colonize Mars and terraform it on a side

6.3%
  7. We should explore space immedeately and terraform Mars right from the star

6.3%
  8. We should terraform every habitat we visit, as long as it is in our power and as fast we can

25.0%
  9. whatever NASA and space agencies decide...is were I stand

3.1%
  10. other/none

6.3%
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think what you're outlining here is very sad. I certainly hope it won't come to that, ever.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orcot Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

as you can see most countries do not really have a problem, and you don't have to stop child benefits, perhaps you can make a system so that only the first child recieves normal child benefits.
    And if we can keep imigration in check then that will be sufficient for most countries.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No offense, but I can't tell shit from that graphic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

What does the color-scale bar represent?

8. orcot Valued Senior Member

sorry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_by_fertility_rate
    It is a list of countries by total fertility rate (TFR): the expected number of children born per woman in her child-bearing years, based on 2008 data

dark blue means a average of 1 or less child per woman light blue is a average between 1-2 for example germany has a average of 1.41 children per woman
    So far 53 countries have a TFR of less then 2. So any of these countries that are still growing is because of their emigration or their even lower mortality lists

9. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

But you must remember, theres a high mortality rate for African children, out of the seven maybe 2 become healthy adults.

I vote for nuclear power, it's safe, and more eco friendly than other energy sources, produces tons of energy and with the newest machines that purify it, it will last a few million years before we run out of nuclear material.

Only thing i can imagine some countries will have an issue about is that the USA owns 60% of the world's uranium reserves, more than the Arab states hold in oil

10. orcot Valued Senior Member

gues again?

Nuclear is pretty good far better then coal and gas
    but I hope there is some future in solar islands

I remember a study saying that if 1/3 of all the roofs (private+industrial) in Germany were covered in solar panels then there would be no need for any power station (for germany)

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Sure, on sunny days.

There are much better options than solar energy, I think. And I don't know the effect, but blotting out large (?) chunks of the ocean would interfere with the carbon cycle, as lot's of CO2 is absorbed by the oceans to be used by phytoplankton and things. If you blotted out, say, 1% of the equatorial oceans, I don't know how that would interfere with this cycle.

A better option I think is to put solar panels in space, orbiting around the moon, or leading/lagging the earth as it goes around the sun. The benefit of this is that there is little environmental impact on earth, outside of the trouble of getting them into orbit.

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

107306500km² of ocean 1% of that is 1,07E15m² covered with cells producing 120W/m² or 1,28E17watt today humans only use 1,5E13 watt, so it really is no use to cover more then 1/1000 of 1% of the oceans to cover all earths energy demands. Still a awful lott considering how fast solar panels are evolving these last couple of decades.

The effects should be minimal but to reduce further the damage to phytoplankton you can build it somewhere where the water is 2000 meter deep over a dead zone. Yust pray that this titanic doesn't sink

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I mant uranium reserves. The US is not mining the hell out of their reserves like other countries. But im pretty sure theres atleast 10 uranium deposits historically, how many are active today i do not know.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Sorry for my post 203

The graphic illustrates my point 4

15. leolanza Registered Member

Terraforming Mars

Terraforming Mars is not an option for the advancement of mankind. The rise in population will force the issue in the next century. Food shortages, global warming and the fuel shortages will eventually previal.

However, ironically using global warming could also be a saviour to mankind on mars. Im forming research into the terraforming of mars over a 120yr cycle. To do this we need to examine and interpret a multitude of variables across various science disciplines. I could do with a number of budding scientists in physics, chemistry and IT do help develope this research further.

Anybody who is interested in taking this from conceptual level to logical practical levels please get in touch.

16. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

17. superstring01 Moderator

Terraforming Mars is idiotic. Its low gravity (can't hold an atmosphere well) and lack of a magnetic field (deadly radiation) would make living their nearly impossible. Colonizing the planet by building habitats under the ground is another question.

~String

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  18. Nasor Valued Senior Member

False and false. It's true that Mars's low gravity would mean that any atmosphere we created would slowly leak away, but it would happen on a timescale of millions of years; a very short time in terms of the lifetime of a planet, but for human purposes any atmosphere we created would be permanent.

It's true that Mars will always lack a magnetosphere, but it wouldn't need one to support life. Contrary to popular belief, the magnetosphere isn't necessary for the earth to support life. It's true that it blocks about 80% of incoming charged particles from the sun, BUT the vast majority of those particles would be stopped by the atmosphere long before reaching the ground even if the magnetosphere wasn't present. If mars had an atmosphere thick enough to breath, that would provide substantial radiation protection. Also, since it's much farther from the sun than the earth, it only receives about half as much solar radiation anyway.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Most of the articles I've read on the subject suggest that the thicker atmosphere that is a major part of a mars terraforming would filter out much of the radiation. This article says that an atmosphere 100m thick would make mars safe for humans.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't most of the atmosphere just disappear into space rather quickly?
    Mars has no magnetic field like Earth.

21. draqon Banned Banned

yup true.

We need to upscale our terraforming engineering...which I bet in future will become one of the options of study. Imagine, ability to change rotation of a planet or its position relative to the sun, perhaps introduce magnetic field somehow...

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Rather quickly, on a geologic scale of time is quite different from a human one. The atmosphere would probably last hundreds of thousands of years, maybe millions. Also, we could replenish it by slamming the occasional comet into mars.

23. draqon Banned Banned

you do realize that we can't slam the comets into Mars, because we will be living on Mars.