Should Mars be terraformed?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by draqon, Jul 7, 2008.

?

Should Mars be terraformed?

1. We should not even venture into space...we should stay on Earth

12.5%
  2. We should venture into space...Mars or not Mars...but later in 100 years or so

9.4%
  3. We should venture into space in these 100 years but settle on the moon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. We should venture into space before 2050, and colonize Mars

9.4%
  5. We should venture into space as fast as we can and colonize Mars

21.9%
  6. We should venture into space and colonize Mars and terraform it on a side

6.3%
  7. We should explore space immedeately and terraform Mars right from the star

6.3%
  8. We should terraform every habitat we visit, as long as it is in our power and as fast we can

25.0%
  9. whatever NASA and space agencies decide...is were I stand

3.1%
  10. other/none

6.3%
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't think we should terraform in that case.

Nope, not for me at least.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Perhaps this point has already been made, but Mars would not be suitable for life, even if we did teraform it (whatever that means).

The problem is that there is not a very large magnetic field around the planet, which means it gets bombarded with lots of cosmic rays. This means that long term habitation of that planet is not viable, unless you want everyone to end up with leukemia, or something.

I will add that, perhaps a more interesting option is to terraform Venus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_Venus.

And, checking wikipedia, I see that my theories are at least supported by THAT reference. Here I thought I was being original.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

Nuclear weapons would be exported to Mars long before the terraforming was completed - and so the newly-inhabited Mars would be in the same, or worse, position than the Earth is in now.

The sword of Damocles will follow our species wheresoever we roam.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Indeed. I thought about making the point but then thought 'never mind'

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I think we need to get here first

. Also i read an article that with current technology it would take a few hundred years a few hundred years. We need the tech to do it.

9. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Dude, no one has been crazy enough to use nuclear weapons on earth against an enemy in 60 years. Wtf is a damocles?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

11. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Also the earth and humans are not on the verge of death. The entire human population could fit into a single supermetropolis the size of A few countries. We are not covering every square foot of this planet.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, but we are poisoning most of it, if not all.

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Okay there's two realistic changes we can make.

1.) help the environment stop pollution (which we are doing)

2.) mass suicide.

So why are you complaining about the problem when we are already enacting the only realistic solution

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

sorry but LOL :bugeye:

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

OH i see you have a better idea. Will it work in my lifetime?

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

First of all.. how would the environment go about stopping pollution ?
    We don't need to help, we need to completely do it ourselves. And we aren't doing nearly enough at the moment.

Your second point about mass suicide is nonsense. That idea will never be implemented and you know it. It's a fake point intended to draw all attention to your first point and make it look like we are already doing everything we can.

I would propose:
    - Much more rigorous action against polluting companies and other polluting sources (such as car owners).
    - Global implementation of birth-restrictions.
    - Free sterilization and cheap birth control items such as condoms and contraceptive pills.
    - Compulsory global practical help to third-world countries in order to help them build a healthy economy (not just money and food, but know-how and infrastructure as well).

17. orcot Valued Senior Member

... this would increase the global population. The inmediadent halt of all foreign aid, food and medecines would drasticly lower the human population ... Not that I'm suggesting this.

Sight yes but then again hybrid cars and solar panels finaly seem to be catching on. They should punish compagnies like airbus harder for making such monster planes. And perhaps figure out a way to use less trucks on the roads (altough they are also a good way of population restriction).

I would propose the further funding of fussion technology and Hydrogen cars, the construction of solar islands. and the deconstruction of coal and steam plants.
    Speed limit's for large cargo boads, direct routes for planes, and extra taxes for imported goods.
    Less financial aid for children and birth restrictions ones you have more then 4 living children, afther that you get finend and have to proof you can take care of them.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

On it's own, yes. But not when it's carried out in unison with the other points. All those points are part of one plan, so to speak.
    The number of kids people have tends to decrease when societies get more prosperous.

Err.. I wouldn't want to make room for even more people. The population needs to decrease.
    As for your birth restriction proposal.. who the hell has more than four kids anyway ?
    I would say one, possibly two. But no more.

19. orcot Valued Senior Member

My brothers is with a girl from a family of 13 (parents not included) so there more then you think.
    But most especially you can get the idea sold. Stopping the state child support would probably do the real trick annyway.

Making echography's free and avaiable in all countries would probably also inderectly decrease the population of some countries because they selectivly would kill of their own women in favor of boy's... and then their's 20 years later.

It's pretty cruel method and it would probably only be effective with one child policy but it might do the trick.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I have a major problem with your first suggestion. It implies that rich people can have as many kids as they want while poor people can perhaps not even afford one.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

There is another pretty sick method by the way.. involuntary chemical sterilization. Perhaps drinking water can be laced

22. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

The first two points of yours was my first point to help the environmet. No shit, no way would i suggest about mass suicide. But seriously, we are arguieng for a solution that is already being implemented.

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Human population is an issue we will have to deal with in the future. But the real issue I think is how we evolve as an organism. I think that is the higher and more important question. What impact will out technology have on us? We will certianly continue to automate, build new tools and devices to do our work. There will be an integration of human biology and our tools. We will become one. Can you envision living your entire life inside a computer? What is the impact of our abiltiy to manipulate our genes? There are certianly some challenges in our future...assuming we are not wiped off the planet in a global disaster.

So bottom line, before you can answer the poplulation question you must examine the imapct of technology on us as a species going forward.