Should It Be Illegal?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Jul 17, 2015.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

You are a woman and you dont realize the disparity of how men feel entitled to younger women but not the other way around?

That 'eww' factor if you ask most 20 year old males if they would date a 55 year old woman would be coming from them as in no freaking way!! Whether she can still have children is besides the point, she is just too 'old' meaning not as attractive. However, if you ask a group of males 55 year old man about dating a 20 yr old female they would beam with approval, nodding heads and maybe a high-five! Hypocrisy and entitlement of males.

Somehow, men rationalize they can never be too old for someone but at a time when its clear they aint a spring chicken with the whole midlife crisis and want to dismiss their aging counterparts like they are less worthy of them.

I am just commenting on my observations from members of my family to many people i know. Even here lately, my ex's mother was left by her husband for a younger woman after she got older. This is common occurrence. She just consoled herself with her friends and just being by herself presumably enjoying solitary life.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

What makes you think it is an issue of entitlement?

Because she is younger than he is?

What about in relationships where he is younger than the woman by the same or greater margin? Does that make her feel entitled?

Are you suggesting that a young woman cannot or should not have a relationship with an older man? Why not? Are you concerned that he is using her body for sex or pleasure? But you would not hold the same concern if the man was in her age range.

The issue with your, well, complaint, Birch is that you are only looking at age. The sense of entitlement some men have or feel towards women is not based on age alone. You do understand this, yes?

And you say this based on what? Obviously not reality.

The dating website analyzed the upper and lower age search limits for more than 450,000 of its members to reveal the age of a man and a woman’s perfect partner. The survey found men aged 20 to 29 prefer older women to younger ones, and women preferred a younger man as they age, according to YourTango. This contradicts the stereotype that all men are focused on finding a youthful partner, as these singles indicate a preference for a partner three to six years older than themselves.

Similar to their younger male counterparts, younger women have reflected this interest in older men. Women between 20 and 29 years old desire men who are up to 10 years their senior and no younger than up to three years. This affirms the stereotype that younger women do seek older men because they tend to be emotionally mature, have more financial freedom, and have an established career that lets them devote more time to a relationship and fatherhood.

Shifting back to the older woman-younger man relationship dynamic, it has garnered a collective gasp from society. Despite celebrities like Demi Moore and Mariah Carey marrying men who are over a decade their junior, the public still struggles to come to grips with these romances. Age-gap romances, though, do actually leave more room for gender equality, which tends to make couples happier.

A 2008 study published in the journal Psychology of Women Quarterly found women who are 10 or more years older than their partner report more satisfaction and relationship commitment compared to women who are the same age or younger than their partner. The success of these age-gap romantic relationships may be attributed to the vitality the younger man brings into their lives and the maturity and confidence men find in their older counterparts. Moreover, regardless of the age, men seem to be more strongly drawn to these relationships at the start because of physical attraction.

Perhaps it has more to do with maturity and personality.

And women would probably say the same thing about younger men and they do.

Have you considered the prospect that the younger woman may feel an equal sense of entitlement of being cared for financially and emotionally by an older man?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

Do you get some power trip with your feigned arguments and strawmen??

We are talking about large age difference like 15 plus or more and i dont see that on the survey, do you??when it comes to that its usually the male who is way older because men just are not going to go for a much older woman generally whether he wants kids or not.

So whatever you are on about.

Heh, my ex's father left his mother to have an affair with a woman 20 years younger but when he came down with cancer and on his deathbed, it was his exwife whom he raised his family with that was there for him and nursed him. The other woman did not stick around when the fun was over or hard times came. Though i would say since he tossed her aside like old goods, she didnt really have to.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You seem to be ignorant of the nature of evolution. Species that breed successfully are successful, those that do not, are not. It's almost a tautology. I placed 'need' in quotation markets to imply its equivalence to "is driven to".

I don't "need" to breathe, unless I wish to live. Males don't "need" to seek to father numerous children unless they respond to the fact that they are at the end of a 3,500 billion year line of ancestors who 'felt' the same way.

So you characterise them as selfish too, yet you reserve your vitriol for the men. I am sorry if you are someone close to you has been affected by this issue, but you should not let it lead to a distorted perception of reality.

You imply that this is almost universal, or at least very, very common and yet the number of marriages between older men and younger women, in the west, is comparatively rare.

8. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

No. And we don't even have a right to judge about it. It is totally their decision.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

If it's good for the gander, it oughtta be good for the goose right?

I believe that you go for the alpha male player types. That denies them to other women - which is cruel of you. You act like you're entitled to date these alpha male player types and ignoring regular guys. Don't be so arrogant as to think you have any business dating above your hotness level. Besides, it's not even a legitimate attraction.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016