Should individuals be held responsible for their inaction?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by nicolaou, Jan 25, 2019.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I disagree. Inaction is a choice, as much as taking an action is a choice, in my opinion. The result/consequence of an inaction, can be as palpable as that of an action.

But, the OP's question is, should we be responsible for that inaction? I'd say ''yes,'' in some cases. It probably borders on ''negligence'' laws, that are often many shades of grey.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Perhaps, but how do you quantify an inaction? "The prosecution asserts that the defendant could have invoked Herculean strength and speed to save the deceased from that train."
    There are no facts there, no evidence.

Sure, you could invoke negligence if there were rules in place that you were bound to adhere to by law: "City laws require sidewalks to be cleared of ice. The defendant did not."

But not saving someone from a train is not negligence, since the person did not demonstrably ignore a requirement.

So, I don't disagree with you when you say it's a pretty grey area. And means the short answer to the OP question - if it were to be taken as a simple binary choice is 'no' .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I think that a general rule of thumb could be if it would have been reasonable and prudent to act. The OP's scenario involves merely calling out to someone, who might be in harm's way, to warn them. That seems reasonable, but there's no telling if merely calling out to someone, would have saved them in time. Maybe when in doubt, just do the right, reasonable thing?

As a simple, binary choice, ''no'' seems like the logical answer. But, life is often lived in the grey moments.

Like how about a teacher who knows that one of her students is being physically abused by his parents, and does nothing. The teacher does nothing, but that inaction was a choice, and if that child dies at the hands of his parents, that teacher should be partially culpable. Anyone who knew about the abuse, and neglected to do anything to stop it, should be. We could always justify why we don't act - ''it's not my problem'' or ''who's to say if I said or did anything, if it would have changed anything?'' Should the teacher be held in part, legally responsible for the death of that student? I'd say a strong ''maybe'', in this scenario.

The child's doctor for example, if he/she was in said scenario would be held responsible, if he/she didn't report suspected child abuse to the proper authorities. Why not teachers? Why not neighbors?

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

depraved indifference?

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I agree of course. I guess I'm just playing Devil's Avocado.

Many years ago, an employee was killed when he got caught in one of those box crushers at the back of a mall. A woman saw him struggling but did not attempt to help. She was not convicted.
    Kinda gross.

9. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Absolutely deplorable! That's seriously effed up.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yeah. But you're hearing a seriously shortened version of the news event, so don't judge too quickly. I don't recall if there were extenuating circumstances that might shed light on her inaction (eg. maybe she went for help instead?)

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

True. But, deplorable if she just stood there and watched. Let's hope not!