Should humans drink cow's milk?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by clusteringflux, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Should adult humans drink cow's milk?

1. No. It's for baby cows.

23.4%
  2. Yes. What else goes with cookies?

76.6%
  1. Cannon Registered Senior Member

This thread should be closed because Shorty 37 has answered this question to the most. Thank you for solving this issue.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Hormones

Cows raised for milk and flesh are injected with powerful hormones to make them grow larger and produce more milk than they ever would naturally.

Consuming extra hormones disturbs the natural hormonal balance in the body, and eating animal products laced with hormones can have serious consequences for both children and adults

Kids’ bodies are small and still developing, so exposure to even tiny amounts of the hormones in animal products on a regular basis can have a large impact.

When kids eat the flesh of cows who were treated with hormones, the spike in hormone levels can disrupt the development of their brain and sex organs.

Raising the amount of estrogen and other hormones in our bodies through the consumption of meat and milk can cause other disorders, including gynecomastia, or enlarged male breasts. In one school in Italy, nearly one in three boys aged 3 to 5 and more than half of boys aged 6 to 10 were found to have enlarged breasts, and the hormones in meat were suspected to have caused the disorder

Full Article
    http://www.goveg.com/contamination_hormones.asp

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

'Unfortunately', the OP asks some other questions as well

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cannon Registered Senior Member

Amazing, good citation.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

estrodials are also found as containments in our water supply, another important point is that estrogen production in enhanced by fat, the more obese you are the higher your estrogen levels.

Yes, hormone injected cows milk is suspected, but first verify that hormone levels in the milk are elevated, then prove causality (not correlation) that elevated hormone levels in milk cause feminzation of males and decrease age of puberty in females. Its not hard, I think studies have already been done, look them up.

9. Cannon Registered Senior Member

How do we have this problem fixed? who do we contact? who do we write to? or do all we do is idol thought?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Mammals:

Not quite an excretion but..

Vampire Bat (Desmodus rotundus) feeding on a chicken.

Honey badgers (Millivora capensis) have a great appetite for beehives, there have been cases of dead honey badgers being found stung to death within the hives they were trying to eat. Commercial honey producers do not take kindly to this destruction and sometimes shoot, trap, or poison honey badgers they suspect of damaging their hives.
    Some sources say that a bird, the honeyguide, has a habit of leading honey badgers and other large mammals to bees' nests. When a honey badger breaks into the nest, the birds take their share too. Other sources say that honeyguides are only known to guide humans.

Birds:

Hummingbird feeding on nectar.

11. Cannon Registered Senior Member

Very good, you good at research. I am a tomb of usless knowledge. I've known this issue for more than 8 years.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

While dogs and wolves are a single species, the subspecies Canis lupus familiaris has developed distinctive traits. In addition to a smaller brain and less specialized teeth as adaptations to a less meat/protein-intensive diet, dogs also have an immensely more gregarious and tolerant social instinct than wolves. Just compare the size of a feral dog pack scavenging a trash heap to the eight or ten wolves in an efficient hunting pack. But dogs, especially if started young, happily accept humans and other species such as cats, monkeys, horses, gerbils and parrots as pack-mates. A lactating female dog may well accept it as her duty, as a cooperative member of her multi-species pack, to accept an orphaned baby that appears to be acknowledged as a pack-mate by the alpha humans.
    Cheetahs seem to have a more tolerant social instinct than most felids, considering how relatively easy it was to adapt them to domesticity. That female cheetah was probably thinking like a dog. "Hmm, a strange sort of animal but it seems to be a member of this entertaining pack I've got myself into, so I'd better do my job and be helpful. They feed me well so I certainly don't have to dirty my paws by butchering it."
    These days "vegetarian" is an imprecise term. Many vegetarians are ovo-lacto-vegetarians who only object to killing animals for their flesh, but don't have a problem with milk and eggs. It's "vegans" who don't eat any animal tissue at all.
    I'm just talking about SciForums. I have been scolded for trying to apply the strict rules of scientific publishing here so I discourage others from doing it. Of course if you're writing a thesis, part of its purpose is to demonstrate that you know every nuance of the scientific method and have earned your admission to the academy. This is merely one of the academy's anterooms. All we ask is that the scientific method not be flouted except in jest. Most of our posts are gleaned from tertiary research (reading a journal) or quaternary (seeing it in the newspaper) and it's likely that many members have also read it. It isn't always necessary to provide a citation, but if you're challenged then you have to. At that point someone else might jump in with evidence of his own, such as my experience with raw vs. pasteurized milk.
    Excuse me but empirical observation is the most fundamental kind of scientific evidence. Whether the reasons for the occurrence of a phenomenon are yet understood or not, it must be treated with respect. I could digest pasteurized milk up to about age 19, then raw milk up to about 27, then twenty years later even cheese became difficult.
    No, but if several people step forward who did have the same experience then at least you have evidence that raw milk is more digestible for some people. There is certainly a wealth of anecdotal evidence that raw milk is more digestible. Not everyone who drinks it is an ARF or a wiccan even if the largest market is California.

Most of them are regular folks who just want something to put on their cereal that doesn't make them fart all morning. This substantiates the thesis that some populations of H. sapiens have adapted to milk, some haven't, and some of us from mixed genetic stock are only partially adapted and lose the adaptation as we grow older, but starting a bit later in life than Asians and Native Americans. Only one-fourth of my ancestors were Western Europeans.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Fraggle Rocker,

Empirical evidence is a pretty general term, lets be moe specific, this is Testimonial Evidence at best. If you get a bunch of people to say they found raw milk more digestable, that means nothing. If you can give them unlabeled samples ask them how digestable they felt it was and then go back and determine which sample was which, add it all up and conclude people found raw milk more digestable that might mean something. If you then sample their GI tracks and sample the milk and determine the chemical differences and vairify X,Y and Z after pasteurization undergo Q transformations making them less responsive to lysis from HCl and enzymes, then you have some real evidence.

It not hard to search and cite such a study, even if you can't you can at least hypothesis, for example, pastruization may denature proteins and lysis some lactose reducing the "digestibility" of the milk. Now you have observes increasing lactose intolerance in your self, now before you assume it happens to everyone, ask your self "can I hypothesis reasons why it happening to me, and then hypothesis if that happens to others?"

Did you not read my previous post? Already stated the rate of lactose tolerance is closely link to societies that have used milk. But thank you for agreeing with me.

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I heard girls started puberty younger nowadays than they did say 10,000 years ago because of healtier eating habits. Back then girls didn't start mensruating until they were about 16 or 17, so I've heard (don't know if its true). And as diet became healthier the age dropped to about 12 or 13. But now I think it has more to do with girls being overweight. I do know for a fact that the amount of certain lipids in the body trigger puberty in girls. That's why obese girls usually start puberty early and really skinny girls tend to start late. It also might have a genetic cause as well. I started puberty at about 8 years old, but I drink a lot of milk (more so now than then, but still). My mother started at 8 and so did her mother who refuses to drink milk and I don't think she ever really did because she hated it so much. So I don't think you can blame early puberty on milk exclusively.

15. Cannon Registered Senior Member

No, you can blame it on the Hormonoly Enriched chiecken, milk and beef. Everything you eat and drink is this way.

16. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I'm not saying it isn't a possible cause for girls starting puberty early. I just doubt it was the lone cause for me. It just seems like there is a heritability factor in there somewhere for me, but I was wondering if it causes estrogen to be released then why don't most women have gigantic breasts? Or do the effects stop at some point and manifest as other things? I remember hearing stupid rumors back when I was like a freshman in high school and people said that if you drank a lot of milk your breasts would get bigger because of the hormones, but that turned out to be a disappointment for a lot my classmates.

17. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Absolutely everything we eat or drink -- except human milk and, arguably, fruit, -- was "made" for something other than human consumption. Grain did not evolve so humans -- or birds, -- could eat it. Grain evolved to make more grain. So did carrots. So did steak. Etc. Claiming that drinking cow milk is unnatural because it was "made for baby cows and not adult humans" is silly. Cow milk is PERFECT food for baby cows. That does not mean adult humans or adult cats can not or should not utilize it. Likewise human milk is PERFECT for baby humans. That does not make it undrinkable to adult humans, cats, you name it.

Unless you are a koala bear or some other one-food animal, there is no PERFECT food for an adult, and many acceptable ones. Cow milk is perfectly acceptable to humans, unless you are lactose-intolerant. And even then, it is "okay" food -- you just get very flatulant.

18. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Humans will eat just about anything. I've heard a lot of people say that grass is really good for you because of all the antioxidents or whatever. Of course I don't think humans were meant to eat grass, but that doesn't stop them from drinking those grass shots that smell like lawn mowers. yuck

19. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

What's interesting is that after humans are done with the processing, milk isn't even fit for calves anymore. AFAIK, it can kill them.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

AFAIK processes milk is just fine for calves. It might depend on the processing: fat free obviously is not going to be as beneficial to a growing calve as skim milk.

21. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

A link I just found

http://www.thehealingjournal.com/prev_issues/2007_apr_may_raw.htm

22. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Well, they are idiots. Humans do not have enzymes/stomach bacteria to break down plant cell walls. So unless these grass shots were cuisinarted to the point of rupturing individual cells, most of the antioxidants will just come out the other end. There are much easier ways to get antioxidants, like eating plants which are actually digestible, like carrots.

Yet even so, eating grass is not actually BAD for you -- just worthless.

23. Letticia Registered Senior Member