Should humans drink cow's milk?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by clusteringflux, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Should adult humans drink cow's milk?

1. No. It's for baby cows.

23.4%
  2. Yes. What else goes with cookies?

76.6%
  1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I drink glasses upon glasses of milk everyday and I don't gain weight, even when I was trying to. I also watched a commerical called 24/24 or something like that. It says that you should drink 24oz of milk everyday for a slimer waist. Of course I might be drinking a little to much, my waist hasn't changed sizes though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. K Ryan Registered Member

Well here goes. I have actually done a LOT of research on this subject as well as other nutritional subjects over the past 3 years.

Cow milk is not good for human babies. Only Human milk is good for human babies. Even formula is seriously lacking in this department. If you have to give a baby milk from another species, goat milk is much better, although still lacking in omega 3 fatty acids. It is well tolerated and the proteins are easier to absorb and use than cows milk. This is due to the molecular composition, which for goat milk is 1/5 that of cow milk. Goat milk can be digested and assimilated in the bloodstream in 20 minutes versus two hours for cow milk.

For adults it is great. While it may have been put there for calves, it still has a lot of the things adult humans need. Plenty of fats and proteins. It is basically like eating meat. Imagine your a prehistoric hunter that has to hunt and kill to get these nutrients and then discovers he can get the same nutrients from domesticating a cow (or goat) and drinking the milk. A much safer grantee that he will not starve.

Now for the kicker. There is a huge misconception of what is good milk. Regular store bought milk is close to poison. It is loaded with hormones, antibiotics and pesticides as well as a number of allowed puss cells. That's right I said PUSS. Yummy. More importantly the processes of homogenization and pasteurization ruins the digestibility of milk.

Homogenization takes normal fat cells which are to large to enter the blood stream through the intestines and makes them small enough that they can. This scars the arteries and leads to heart disease because they are not supposed to be there.

Pasteurizing milk kills the enzymes needed to digest it, namely lactase which is needed to break down lactose. This is why so many people have lactose intolerance. Most people with lactose intolerance can actually digest raw milk because the enzymes are still alive. If you CAN digest pasteurized milk with no enzymes it is most likely because you have more milk drinking ancestors who developed the ability to produce lactase after infancy. Or you have been drinking it since your own infancy never turning off the lactase production.
    Pasteurization also alters the protein. Cows milk has very different and delicate proteins. They are easily damaged by heat. The altered proteins can not be used very well by the body and most are carried out as waste.

Raw Milk = great adult food
    Regular Milk = unusable protein, heart disease, puss, hard to digest, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, burden on your body = poison

The only state I know of that can legally sell raw milk is California.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Oh awesome, so then you have a long list of citations and references we can look at?

8. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Great post,K ryan. Thanks!

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

another victim of frivolous claims.

10. K Ryan Registered Member

mercola.com/article/milk/no_milk.htm

youtube.com/watch?v=RjZs0DGW1Jk For those of you who use soy milk.

gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/FoundationalNutrition/Goatein/tabid/652/Default.aspx - For anyone who takes protein powder, this is what I use.

milkprocon.org/ - basically what this thread is about

.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/price.htm - Dr. Weston A. Price might be able to shed some light on nutrition for ya.

You can also google it and find other information. I would have more links but I'm not using my laptop since my power adapter died. So I dont have the links in my favorites folder. It also appears that I cannot post links yet so just add the rest.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  11. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

lol, He's has an interest in the subject and made a good post. I don't have to agree with everything to thank someone for contributing.

I like milk,too so just relax you milkaholic.

12. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

There are very few people in the world (and those that can are mainly in Europe) that are still able to digest milk fat after infancy. Milk in general of any kind is intended for infants, not adults, and actually does much more harm than good later in life.

But I drink it anyway.

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Well then I should expect an early death because I drink way too much milk. In fact I don't drink much else. Of course the gastrointestinal tract is not my area of expertise so I'll take your word for it.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I drink soy juice (they call it "soy milk" but its squeezed from the fruiting body of a plant so technically its a juice, homogenized aqueous soy oil is the most accurate term though), soy juice just tastes so much better to me then milk.

My defense of milk has no relevance to my liking it (which I don't). Simply trying to present reason and logic.

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Is it true or just a myth that when you are sick (cold, flu ) you should avoid drinking milk?

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Despite what has been said above milk has not lactase or other enzymes for digesting it's self (if it did it would curd automatically!), when you drink milk some people have enough lactase to digest the milk, but a flu that infects the GI track could compromise lactase production, making milk indigestible.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I grew up on milk straight from the cow. Hate to burst your bubble but it probably had puss it it as well. It also had dirt, manure, blood, urine, or hair in it. It may have gone through a strainer and a separator, but they didn't get everything out.

My grandpa didn't have a dairy so it wasn't all about money and profit, but he did give the milk cow antibiotics. How else was he supposed to stop the mastitis? Pesticides where in the water. Just because he didn't use it didn't mean the people far away didn't. Every time it rained it trickled down into the creek that ram through his pasture.

My kids get pasteurized milk.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sure. And alcohol wasn't made by nature at all, at least not in significant quantities. Yet we drink that with great pleasure as well. Perhaps you missed the transition out of the Stone Age, meaning we're no longer slaves to Mother Nature?

My Chinese friends from Si Chuan thought "blood soup" was a real delicacy. Some of the blood would clot during cooking so that the soup didn't have a bland, uniform texture. I never tried it but it's got to be really nutritious.
    It's touted as being easier to digest. Sheep's milk is also common, and the people of Central Asia drink mare's milk.
    None of his assertions are "extraordinary," so the scientific method does not require him to present extraordinary evidence for them. He has presented the results of his own (secondary or tertiary) research and if you want to challenge a specific assertion, please do so. But you're out of line to dismiss the entire post. I can attest to the assertion about raw milk being easier to digest than pasteurized. I was able to drink milk up through high school, but in my late teens I began to become lactose intolerant. I was able to drink raw milk for about ten more years. Goat's milk was also easier to digest. Today I can't drink the milk of any species in any form. I even have to be careful not to eat too much cheese. However, I can drink cream, so I mix heavy whipping cream about 1:3 with water and that way I can have a bowl of cereal once in a while.
    Actually lactose tolerance among adults is common in the European population, which correlates with their having become heavily dependent on milk protein in the Neolithic Era, when there wasn't enough meat to feed everybody.
    When I was a kid people admonished each other not to drink milk when they were sick because it was reputed to increase mucus production.
    This illustrates the reason that people raised in rural environments have more robust immune systems than city babies. During WWII, a huge percentage of recruits from the cities got so sick during basic training that they had to repeat it, whereas the country boys sailed through... and were rewarded by being sent into combat six weeks sooner. I still read reports that country kids have better immunities than city kids.

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Fraggle Rocker,

So I only need an extraordinary claims to be able to provide references? OH god why did I waste so much time citing and writing my references for my bachelors thesis that piece of shit was mundane!

Did I say I was dismissing his entire post?

Personal anecdotes mean nothing, you can claim raw milk is more digestible all you want, but you have to prove it with evidence before I believe it! Show me a study, show me the chemical difference, something, not "when I was a kid..." BS when I was a kid I was stuck in a closet with vanna white, am I to assume everyone else had the same experience?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  20. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Would it be commercially viable to have a human milk bottling business?

(Assuming it was made to be no less healthy than cow's milk but it otherwise tastes/looks the same)

21. Reiku Banned Banned

Of course we can drink cows milk. Humans have probably been doing since they appeared 100,000 years ago. We afterall eat cows, why not drink their milk?

22. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

'Cos it tastes like fat of cow.

Not in my coffee thanks.

23. Reiku Banned Banned

Lol... essence of cow... yummy!