Should atheism be recognised?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Mar 9, 2009.

?

Should atheism be recognised?

1. Yes, I want to be recognised for the stuff I don't believe in

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, its stupid to have a category for NOT believing in something

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Got better things to think about

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. My opinion, which is better than yours, is given in a post below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I don't know of any atheist dictum that defines individual actions for those who assumes the label. I suppose that if you are a zealot, then it's all very serious business, but I don't see it requiring that much enthusiasm. I think you can participate in quaint rituals without being consumed by the underlying implications.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Whatever..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Seriously, since when is an atheist chained to some unwritten code that defines ethical conduct?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Are you suggesting that atheists have no morals or ethics ?

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Atheism has a requirement for social voice. If you take away the voice, you take away the category.

Its not sufficient for atheism to deem there is no god. It requires social behavior in line with that value.
    That behavior can range from the moderate to the extreme, but it still has the same requirement.
    Generally you analyze a social body according to the conventions it upholds or defies, Atheism has the requirement to defy the conventions of religion (whether that be in a voice of moderation or extremism). If you take away that requirement, you take away the category

Taking one's shoes off in India is customary for a majority of people's own dwellings, what to speak of places of worship. As you no doubt are aware, there are many things on the streets of india that find themselves on the underside of one's shoes that make this a good idea. Taking one's shoes off is not so much an "orthodox" requirement but a normative one ... particularly in the context of hinduism. Refusing to take off one's shoes before entering a temple is almost the equivalent of spitting on the altar in a church. Demanding the removal of religious paraphernalia (like a crucifixion necklace) makes demands on the religious conventions of others. This is different from the demand that one be obedient to a convention (particularly a convention that would deem one as not being offensive ... its not like clinton demanded that he would only come in if he could spit in the premises) in a particular context (there wasn't the requirement that clinton wear a little hat for the rest of his life, for instance)

Does this make sense?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No.

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

you don't agree that atheism demands a social voice?

What's your perspective on the famous dawkins funded bus ad campaign?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So atheists are a category because they insist on being one?

13. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

That campaign wasn't funded by Dawkins, rather it was funded by the British Humanist Association which ran a fund drive to purchase the ad space.

Moreover, the public service ad is asserting that there probably is no god.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Who says atheists want to be a category ? And a category of what exactly ?

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Not at all, but I would suggest that those ethics are not stringently defined by any one source. Its one requirement is that there is an absence of belief in a deity or supernatural hierarchy. There's no requirement that you assume a rigid precept. As far as I'm concerned, the atheist is free to explore cultural diversity without sacrificing his/her core belief.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

yup

they insist with their body, mind and/or words

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Dawkins agreeing to meet them dollar for dollar raised to a certain amount didn't lend major financial/social credibility to the endeavour?

yup

in 2 ft letters in public spaces in many different locations

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Agreed, except for the fact that atheists don't have a core belief.
    Do you agree that swearing on the bible or kneeling before God would be a hypocritical thing for an atheist to do ?

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

a category amongst other social/ideological/value based categories of course

21. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Hmm.. I didn't know that. Good for Dawkins and better for the British Humanists.[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with that is there?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That certainly fits the evidence. Everytime they form a group, hold television conferences, write books against God, take out public ads, sue against the word God in some public place, they get more recognition.

In India, you barely know they exist.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh silly me, I thought we were talking about religion.. and the absence of it.