short-term examples of evolution(ary adaptation)

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by pr0xyt0xin, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Nacho Registered Senior Member

Duh! I see know. As has been posted to me a couple of times -- because the mutation confers an advantage.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If it's passed to one offspring, that offspring may have two offspring, and those two may have two more, and it spreads exponentially. Some genes have a larger chance of transmitting than others, it may always be transmitted (dominant or recessive). Given time, the entire population could be the offspring of that first person where the mutation occurred. Of course, this is with the gene having a neutral effect. It's of course much greater if that gene confers a survival or reproductive advantage.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Without.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nacho Registered Senior Member

Most of this has been about random mutations. What about non-random mutations? For instance viruses. It appears to me they could pass along quite a bit of genetic material to the host. And, it wouldn't be just 1 random individual, but large segments of the population that recovered somewhat from the illness. If this could be a driver for evolution, it appears to me it could make some changes very fast.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think most evolution happens as adaptation to disease. I don't know about viruses actually causing the mutations, but I'm not a scientist.