Sharing my Philosophy of Life and Living

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by quantum_wave, Aug 27, 2016.

1. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Ok, then. I get that. Punishment would be wrong if freewill is an illusion. But isn't it all moot if there is no freewill. In spite of the illusion that we act freely, nothing can change anything, and it all unfolds without deviation from the determined outcomes. It is like nothing matters.

On the other hand, Freewill, and the concepts of right and wrong, make living a dynamic experience. And incidentally, that leads to another bit of my philosophy; conscience and self-image. I spoke of forgiveness and forgetting, and to my way of thinking the stimulus for seeking forgiveness is related to our conscience.

It is an observable that humans have a natural proclivity to have a conscience. I consider it likely that it is a learned aspect of living, instilled in us by our parents and/or experiences, like how we individually acquire our concepts of right and wrong. We certainly can override our conscience, just like we can decide to override our sense of right and wrong.

But is there a greater influence that we personally impose on ourselves; like being governed by a self image that can have differing degrees of influence, from one individual to another? If so, then one measure an individual might apply to one's self might be how consistent they are to their self-set values. Said differently, individuals might measure themselves by how faithful they are to their own set of values.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Like free-will-beleivers i also dont know the future... so everthang i do maters just as if free will wasnt an illusion... e.g... if a car comes at me i will choose to jump out of the way... but the choice wont be a free choice.!!!
    I make choices just like a free-will-beliver does... i just realize that my choices ant free.!!!

I dont measure myself... i simply accept myself an the consequences of my actions.!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

Free-will can be shut down .

The powers that be know that .

Hence...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Let's consider for now, that I am right about "conscience" and concepts of "right and wrong" being learned behaviors. Are there also born-in aspects that govern our proclivities to choose between dualities that we naturally come to consider simply because we grow into thoughtful adults? An example of such a "duality decision" might be, do I believe in a God or no God, or do I lean right or left in politics, or do I take time to evaluate my "trained in" behaviors in the light of my personally developed self-image?

Every person has a unique individuality and self image. Any two people, if they took the time and effort to hash it out, could make a list of their differences and similarities. Major issues would come to light. Groups would form around those major issues.

Let that kind of searching and reasoning play out over large populations and long periods of time, and you would have the roots tribal and nationalistic views that are perpetuated by being "trained" into the children of the various groups. And you would have the roots of national conflict.

I am contemplating whether or not a common denominator among all such groups might be found in aspects of the human mind that are born in (DNA), not trained in (learned). For example, the proclivity for self-preservation, for developing a conscience, for exploring concepts about our existence and purpose. Are there things like that which are rooted in the natural evolution of the human mind, governed by the invariant natural laws of the universe?

Or is the DNA just the basis of a human "machine", a basic animal that learns everything related to those "duality decisions" as part of their experiences and freewill?

Your views would be appreciated.

8. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I'll tell you my perspective; the physical you is genetic, the mental you is self-learned. There is a gray area in regard to instincts, but the mental "you" I am referring to are those things about you that your brain has learned from your experiences and environment, which includes the teachings of those involved in your up bringing and development.

The implication of that is that we are who we learn to be, and we can be who we want to be if we exercise freewill to that aim.