Share About Your Ancestry

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by mmatt9876, Feb 6, 2019.

1. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Prussia was one part of Germany that conquered the rest of what is now Germany. Austria is also ethnically German and it once had a large empire too.
    Ever read War and Peace? There was a lot of French cultural influence on eastern Europe as an offshoot of Napoleon's conquests. And I suppose invading soldiers do tend to leave a trail of babies behind but that kind of ancestry would be difficult to trace. (Father: unknown)
    Three of them were Mennonites. Mennonites are pacifists and Russia (which owned Ukraine at the time) was willing to accept them because they didn't need them for their army, since they had more men of their own than they could afford to equip and train. My dad also used to say that German settlement was encouraged by Catherine the Great, since she was of German ancestry. The fourth was a Prussian whose parents moved to Russia to work, gravitating toward the German settlements, I guess.

mmatt9876 likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I know that the state of Germany has gone through a lot of changes, such as rulers and borders, over the years.

I know Russia was an ally of France during World War 1. Were they also allies during World War 2. I know France was defeated by the Nazi's and then liberated, or defeated, by the Allies.

Thanks for sharing. Beyond surname research I know very little of my ancestry. I am really not sure who was born in America and who was born in Europe.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I don't know if Russia and France were technically aligned during WW2. France fell while Russia was still aligned with Hitler....

mmatt9876 likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Goldtop Registered Senior Member

Just curious, are you referring to the Doukhobors?

8. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

No. The Doukhobors are quite different.

9. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I know that Germany and Russia collaborated in the invasion of Poland, I believe back in 1939. Why did Russia ally, if that is the correct word, with Germany to invade Poland?

10. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

The non-aggression pact was basically a stalling measure by both sides. Russia wanted more time to build up its military, while Germany wanted time to pursue its push to the west without worrying about fighting the USSR to the East. Once Germany had secured most of Europe, they turned around and broke the pact by attacking the USSR without warning.

mmatt9876 likes this.
  11. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the info. So the political connection between Germany and Russia during World War 2, in the beginning, was a non-aggression pact and not an alliance.

12. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I had come across a family surname of mine that I had recently discovered while research family documents that I wanted to share with you guys. I had come across with an ancestor with the last name Halan. I did some internet research on the name and I discovered it may be of English origin.

13. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And is '9876' the modern derivative of Halan?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

mmatt9876 likes this.
  14. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I honestly just randomly added 9876 to the end of my username when I created it.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I think we got that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

mmatt9876 likes this.
  16. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

My German ancestors on my Meyer side come from Bremerhaven Germany.

17. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I think my favorite thing about my ancestry is my German American and Irish American heritage.

18. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

According to my online surname research my Halan ancestors, if I have the surname correct, may have been of English ancestry, but the surname sounds like it could be German or Nordic too.

19. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Does anybody know of any good free ancestry research websites?

20. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I am most interested in learning more about my German, Irish, and Polish ancestry.

21. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

There is a lot I am unsure about concerning my ancestry. So far I believe I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American. So far I believe I have ancestry from the Meyer, Rozanski, Colfer, Kelly, and Hesse families.

22. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Does anybody here have any royal or notable ancestors?

23. Truck Captain Stumpy The Right Honourable Reverend Truck Captain Valued Senior Member

so, my ancestry is convoluted and mostly unknown, but I will share what I've been told and how I was raised:
    Oglala, mixed with Hungarian and possibly Scandinavian or German.

Our family (on all sides) is also incredibly diverse having adopted many different cultures and races into it.

short of getting my DNA read, I know only what I've been told and how I've been raised (which is convoluted in an of itself)
    My wife has Royal, notable and infamous ancestors galore. Scottish, Irish, English blue-bloods, oh my! LOL
    I'll ask the wife when she returns.

mmatt9876 likes this.