Share About Your Ancestry

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by mmatt9876, Feb 6, 2019.

1. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I wanted to start a thread where members can share about their ancestry and family.

I will start. According to the research I have done within my family I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American. I was born in the US and I still live there.

I did some research on some family surnames but I discovered that a surname can belong to one culture or another and is different for each person.

My great grandfather served in the US army during World War 1 in France. My grandfather joined the US Navy in 1946.

I am thinking about getting one of those ancestry DNA tests to find out more about my ancestry.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Also, read the small print.
    They own anything they take out of you.

Hopefully, not a pound of flesh, Antonio...

Truck Captain Stumpy likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

heroin for the masses

no mention of your grandmother or great grandmother...

remember, the best way to make sales is to tell the customer what they want to hear. regardless of what the truth is.

if you are paying for a scientific medical test, you want a scientific medical answer.

imagine how costly and time consuming the tests are.
    then imagine if you could just copy & paste the same generic results to sub-groups listed by national heritage after only having to do 100 tests instead of 100,000 tests.
    wall st bankers did it with sub prime mortgages
    what makes you think the people running the dna test company have better morals ?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

On the positive side, my parents are Eastern European - sort of Polish/Hungarian/Czech/Rumanian/Croatian/etc. But remember what the speaker in Hyde Park said to the gathered Brits: "There's a little bit of Turkish toffee in every one of you." That goes double for me, and given that my spouse is of similar background, it could very well jump up and bite our Celtic wannabee kid in the ass. (Serve her right, too.)

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  9. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Up until just this week, I was only aware of my Finnish heritage. All the family lines I could trace ended in Finland, as far back as the 14th century. However, I just came across some new info on a branch that I has only been able to take back as far as my great grandmother. It turns out that I am only 98.4375% Finnish. The remaining 1.5625% contains elements of Swedish, Danish, and Russian.

10. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Family history says all my great-grandparents came from the same town in Ireland and left there because they were Prots. So, thanks to religious bigotry I was born in the US. Positive or negative, too close to call.

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Seems odd when the Protestants were in charge in Ireland, as a sort of occupying power, until independence. But then again, looking at this, it seems there were some Protestants who did not benefit from that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestant_Ascendancy

12. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

When you're out-numbered and the majority don't want you around the options are limited.

13. candy Valued Senior Member

I am afraid to take a DNA test. It might say I am not human then I would have to register as a resident alien. I dislike labels.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My paternal grandfather was Prussian, born in Ukraine, served in the German Army pre-WWI, came to Canada in 1907. My other three grandparents were Mennonites, all born in Ukraine, all came to Canada between 1893 and 1907.

15. sculptor Valued Senior Member

My one son ordered the dna test, then got 2 more for his mom and me.
    From the "results": It would seem that he is not related to the woman who carried him in her womb.

I suspect that there is much guesswork in obtaining the "results".

Meanwhile
    My older 1/2 brother traced our father's lineage.
    My mom had thought him Irish
    It seems that we are Scots---most likely from Dalriada and that an ancestor was fighting on the losing side in a war with England, was captured and sold into bondage to an american planter over 300 years ago.

and a cousin on my mother's side traced her father's ancestors back to the 16 hundreds in Wahlstedt, Germany

Kunta Kinte or Toby?
    Does it really matter?

16. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Paternal Grandfather: born Pudasjärvi, Finland ( ~360 mi N and slightly east of Helsinki) 1854, Immigrated 1883 ( along with 8 siblings).
    Paternal Grandmother: born Finland, (exact location unknown), 1867, immigrated 1887
    Maternal Grandfather: Born Kangasneimi, Finland (~135 mi NNE of Helsinki) 1886, immigrated 1906, along with 1 brother
    Maternal Grandmother: born Reisjärvi, Finland ( ~235 mi N of Helsinki) 1890, immigrated 1893 with mother ( father was already in US). They are the only ones I can find an entry record for. They arrived in Boston on the S.S. Scandinavian, which sailed from Glasgow. I suspect that others came in through Canada, as this was a common practice at the time.
    Unfortunately, I never knew any of my grandparents, as they all passed before I was born, the last being my maternal grandmother who passed 1 1/2 years before my birth.

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I knew both my grandmothers quite well as a child. Both were long-time widows and neither showed any interest in their family history.
    My paternal grandmother spoke about her husband who died at age 30, leaving her with two small kids to raise. She gave me the sketch-book he had brought back from military service - c. age 19 - full of pencil portraits of soldier boys, landscapes and flowers. He was very good at roses.
    My mother told lots of stories about her father.
    I'm really sorry I missed them - would probably have liked both men very much.
    But I honestly don't care what genes they carried, beyond the fact that my brother and I are quite presentable specimens. *
    (* allowing 20% for temporal damage)

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I, for one, would be very interested in hearing about the results. I'd like to see how guessy they are too.

19. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

20. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that the company that analyzes your DNA may have some sort of ownership of your genetic information.

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

They do.
    And law enforcement is making wooing motions to get their hands on it.

22. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I know my great grandmother on my grandfathers side died of cancer in Germany before my grandfather and his brother immigrated to America. I am unsure about my other three great grandmothers. Both of my grandmothers were great people and great cooks.

Do you have any proof of is this just a hunch?

23. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I do believe there is still fighting going on between Protestants and Catholics in and around Northern Ireland.