Sexual Education

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Asguard, Dec 7, 2008.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Let's stop right there and look at the facts:
    So no teen pregnancy crisis, after all. What about STD's?
    See also:
    http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_STD_Rates_Soaring_in_Teen_Girls_CDC_Study_Reveals_15041.html
    Son of a bitch! Half of black teens have an STD!!!! Verses one in five white or hispanic teens. I certainly wouldn't oppose some more sex ed,especially for these young black girls. But I think a major part of the problem is the destruction of the black family and the black subculture that holds up pimps as role models.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm mad, the study i found said 1 in 4 people under the age of 20 had at least 1 STD. Thats across the WHOLE population. There is something seriously wrong with a quater of the population being infected with an STD

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I agree. But look at the data broken down by race. It's one in five for whites and hispanics verses one in two for black teens. While one in five is bad enough, one in two is absurd and disturbing. And I seriously doubt that the difference is lack of sex ed among black teens.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

I don't know about STDs but if we take a look only at the USA it appears that since the 50s there was a decline of teen pregnancies (with the exception of a peak in the 90s), but an increase of non-marital births. This basically confirms what cutsiemarie said earlier. Which also means that apparently there never was an "innocent" time where teens did not have sex.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/tgr/05/1/gr050107.html

That being said, it appears that in other countries there is a stronger decline (same link).

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Mad i would rather see the data broken down by the level of sexual education provided. For instance is it higher or lower amongst adolessants taught only abstance?

THAT is the infomation which either proves or disproves the efficasy of sexual education

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

The problem with many African Americans is some sort of ignorant wall that surrounds many black individuals. That even black kids from good homes and good families still have this stigma about using condoms for some reason it's just frowned upon. The same stigma that surrounds adopting children of another race, receiving psychological help or any kind of counseling of any kind, or ideas about homosexuality (as the last election proved) they get stuck in this rut of refusing to broaden their horizons. I grew up in a pretty well area and the black kids I went to school with would still get up and arms about condom usage, like STDs were just some joke someone made up. For many black kids to insist upon using a condom in a sexual situation is to fight against the odds. All though my high school had a comprehensive sexual education program they didn't really push the importance of condoms at all. It was a really big deal to my mother, so she made a big deal for me, but if she had never said anything I probably wouldn't be very adamant about condom usage as I am now. I had to beat my boyfriend over the head to get him to use one and unfortunately a lot teens are forceful like that. That's just what I've noticed about the black community, it really annoys me.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

cutsie thats kind of my point, the most prevelant form of STD isnt HIV, its HPV. The thing about this virus is that some strains cause cervical cancer but as far as i know almost ALL strains cause female infertility. Gardesel protects against the most common strains which cause cancer but not all the strains which cause infertility.

Now acording to something i was reading the most widly used form of contraception is the pill. This isnt a surprise or even a bad thing. Couples in monmogioms realtionships tend to chose the pill over condoms because its alot easier and alot of women are on it anyway for other reasons. However as you know it provides NO protection against STD's, there are only 2 forms which do, the male and the female condoms.

There was a study done by one of the condom manifactures in australia on sexual health which if i can find i will post here. Now some people will say this is biased because of who sponsored it but i disagree in this case. Yes they were promoting condom use but i dont think that is a bad thing and there for i dont see the resurch as being biased.

Some of the findings wouldnt be a surprise to anyone with a brain. For instance people from a low socioeconomic background are less likly to use contraception, and people unders the influence of alchole and drugs are less likly to use contraception.

Im not meaning to suggest that education is the be all and end all but it is a very important part. Im a strong surporter of things like free condoms in schools and universities and places like SHine who also provide the pill at WELL below the PBS rates. Not to mention that im a strong surporter in pt confidentuality in these matters no matter WHAT age the adolessant is (baring child abuse) in order to encorage adolessants to seek medical advice for things like the pill.

Futher more i was STRONGLY oposed to the morning after pill becoming perscription only for adolessants. That had to be the most moronic idea i had ever herd actually but concidering who proposed it (the catholic MP Tony Abbott, former Minster for Health and aging) im really not that surprised. His comment that he was shocked to hear that women as young as 14 were using the morning after pill was so stupid. It seems no one thought to ask him wether he thought women as young as 14 having abortions or having children was a better alternitive.

Anyway cutsie, concidering your experiance do you think that leaving it in the hands of parents or the goverment putting more resorces into better informing young people is the way to go? Especially when you concider things like the fact that you can get STD's from oral sex, do you think parents would be willing to talk about this in a logical way?

One study i herd about (and i dont have the paticulars of this, it was something i came in at the end of on the radio) was talking about the link between STD and teenage pregancy awearness and oral sex. They had found that as awearness of these issues increased and adolessants felt that vaginal sex was more dangerious, rates of oral sex went up. Now oviously this works for SOME STD prevention and for pregancy prevention but makes no difference to others like herpies (both kinds). Actually Herpies rates go up because so much of the population is infected with the coldsore version and its not well understood that this can be passed on to infect the genitals as well.

Anyway i havent yet found the Ansal Study but i did find this from SHine

http://www.shinesa.org.au/index.cfm?objectid=A8957C11-E081-51EF-A72F927BF92DE86C

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Here's how paranoid I was. After the first time I had sex, I casually threw the condom in the trash (it was in my bedroom in the basement at midnight, new year's eve). Anyway, after taking the girl home, I was sitting there thinking, "Hmmmm. 80% effective. That means 20% chance I may have knocked her up. I wonder...." So I retrieved the condom and tested it for holes by filling it with water. It passed the test.

I even remember the first time I almost had sex. I was making out with this girl at a party at her house. She seemed quite receptive to whatever I wanted to do. So, after rounding third base I reached for the condom that had been sitting in my wallot creating a circular impression for quite a while. As I was fumbling around with it, her damned big brother (A senior, I think. I was a sophomore at the time) popped in and spoiled the fun. It was probably a good thing, that was a really old condom. It might have disintegrated during use. I replaced it shortly afterwards and even practiced putting it on so I wouldn't be fumbling around like that first time.

Anyway, my point is I never even considered sex without a condom until my girlfriend went on the pill.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, slick Willy (Bill Clinton) strikes again. He convinced the nation that oral sex wasn't sex. If only girls thought that way when I was in high school!

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's one of the differences.

Another is mother's educational level. Those might be related.

A third is two parent families with at least one parent in a career job - an example of payoff for discipline.

A fourth is religion, which plays a larger role on average in black families.

A fifth is absence of adult male authority in the general environment - tends to cow the predatory teen boy.

A sixth is racism - which of course connects to one through four above.

15. draqon Banned Banned

iceaura...sex drive is also related to the average genitalia size...and not to be overly prudent, but black men are gifted in their pants.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm with you on 2,3 and 5. But I don't see either religion or racism as causes of STD's in black teens. Really, I think number 5 is the true root cause. The black family structure, especially in inner cities, has almost completely collapsed. This creates many single parent families. It leaves a lack of responsible male role models. It increases the chance of the family being in poverty. On and on.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

come on mad, you might be a christan but your also a DOCTOR. You have never seen how religion twists sexuality?

i peged you as more intelligent than that

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Religion adds a certain thrill to sex. A certain naughtiness that wouldn't be there otherwise. There's nothing like a rebellious girl raised by strict parents. She has the pleasure of sex itself, plus the pleasure of rebelling against her parents. It makes it much easier to convince her to say, "yes". Nevertheless, it shouldn't keep her from using a condom while she's out slutting around. Do you have any data showing that increased church attendance or whatever is positively associated with STD rates?

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

only anacdotally unfortunatly. I would LOVE to do resurch on it but *shrug* Anacdotally the more fundermentalist someone is, especially if they have been home schooled or taught in a religious school rather than the state system the less they have seemed to understand about how sex works and the dangers involved.

As i said though i havent been able to find any resurch on it though

20. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

I few things I found interesting is the differences in teen pregnancy. If only accounting for non-hispanic white teenagers (to make matters easier) the highest is 77 per 1000 in Arkansas, and 71-73 in Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, South Carolina. The lowest was in North Dakota (33 per 1000). All numbers were from 2000.
    Is anyone aware of difference in sex-ed in these states?
    And, as already mentioned, the pregnancy rates in other countries (including all ethnicity) like Germany, France and Sweden are well below 20 per 1000. The UK is somewhere near North Dakota, though.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Ugh that really pisses me off!

I refused to ever do anything without a condom, still do.

1.5 minutes of pleasure is not worth an STD or going all the way to england for an abortion.

22. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

My dorm building my freshman year of college had a condom-candy bucket in the lounge, so people good just go and grab condoms whenever they wanted too, but some bimbos ruined it and poked holes in all of the condoms and left a note saying premarital sex was wrong, but they weren't kind enough to leave the note near the bucket so there were quite a few "accidents". So the year after you had to knock on the resident adviser's door and ask for them. So it deterred a lot of students because they were too embarrassed to ask. I think they should put them in a cheap vending machine.

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Other people do. The correlations are high.
    Several studies of abstinence only sex ed programs - associated with religious communities and schools - have found higher STD rates in the older teens. I'm sure you've noticed them - they were in the papers, on the news, etc.

Or you could peruse the stats in general:
    Here's the top ten states for church attendance in the US, from here http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060502/news_lz1n2thelist.html

Alabama
    Louisiana
    South Carolina
    Mississippi
    Utah
    Arkansas
    Nebraska
    North Carolina
    Tennessee
    Georgia

Here's the top ten for rate of syphilis, from here http://www.cdc.gov/std/stats00/Tables/2000Table23.htm
    Tennessee *
    North Carolina *
    Indiana
    South Carolina *
    Maryland
    Georgia *
    Mississippi *
    Louisiana *
    Arkansas *
    Arizona

70% overlap.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008