Sex with 21 or more Women Protects Against Prostate Cancer

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by madanthonywayne, Nov 11, 2014.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

A recent study suggests that having sex with 21 or more women seems to lower a man's risk of prostate cancer.

Interestingly, this protection doesn't extend to men who have sec with over 20 men. In fact, this seems to increase one's risk of prostate cancer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

There actually isn't any real news, there. To the other, it makes for a great headline, doesn't it? As the article informs, the promiscuity aspect has to do with use, and it's been known for a while that use has some effect against decay.

Researchers at the University of Montreal believe that intercourse protects men, and men who are more promiscuous have more sex than those in monogamous relationships.

However, for homosexual men the benefit is lost because of the increased risk of picking up a sexually transmitted disease, and the damage to their bodies from intercourse. However gay men with just one partner are at no greater risk.

"It is possible that having many female sexual partners results in a higher frequency of ejaculations, whose protective effect against prostate cancer has been previously observed in cohort studies," said lead researcher Dr Marie-Elise Parent.

But when asked whether public health authorities should recommend men to sleep with many women in their lives Dr Parent added: "We're not there yet."

(Knapton)​

While I can't extend the example beyond itself, there are some questions that arise. But as it happens, my daughter's maternal grandparents are the sort of delusional religious freaks many atheists dream of being able to stomp; seriously, they're nuts.

One of the weird things they do, of course, is eat artificial food. Invite them for Thanksgiving dinner, they bring their own food. And it's all textured vegetable protein. This practice is somehow connected to the church, though they insist the religion does not require a weird diet. Rather, it's just something they do for their health to honor God.

Which, in turn, is why Gran'ma has been sick, quite literally, for over a year.

And it's probably why Grandpa sneaks real food on the sly while he's out doing his husbandly work.

Alternative diet, alternative medicine.

I really, really don't want to know if he's been sneaking orgasms on the sly.

However, here's the thing: While he doesn't represent any particular trend, even within his chosen church, I can promise a trend on the other end of the scale. That is to say, men who sleep with that many women generally don't behave in the rest of their lives as he does.

Presuming that he isn't cheating on more than his diet, he will, when his time comes, provide an excellent laboratory specimen that scientists won't have access to; that is, I just don't foresee him donating his body to a bunch of people he thinks are sinfully wrong.

His attitudes about sex and sexuality are already unnerving in terms of his mental health; really, to the one it's not surprising how much time he spends thinking about such things, while to the other the Telegraph article reminds me to wonder what sort of physical toll it might be taking.

Notes:

Knapton, Sarah. "Sex with 21 women lowers risk of prostate cancer, academics find". The Telegraph. 28 October 2014. Telegraph.co.uk. 11 November 2014. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...s-risk-of-prostate-cancer-academics-find.html

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

So having sex with 20 women and 20 men, would put one into a null position where he started?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What about the homosexuals?

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Sadly:

9. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Oh Mr. Anthony Wayne! You are just so mad! As was often the case, the late, great King of Pop had an answer for this too:

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's actually a strange question when we dig into the numbers; a 2013 paper↱ from the journal Disease Markers notes in its abstract:

The role of human papillomavirus (HPV) in prostate carcinogenesis is highly controversial: some studies suggest a positive association between HPV infection and an increased risk of prostate cancer (PCa), whereas others do not reveal any correlation.

In 2011, however WebMD Health News↱ reported that, "Gay men had significantly lower rates of prostate cancer but higher rates of other cancers." Indeed, a 2012 information page from CDC regarding human papillomavirus does not even mention prostate cancer; HPV contributes to a seventeenfold increase in anal cancer likelihood.

A 2013 report by Prostate Cancer UK and Stonewall↱ notes that, "any differences in the incidence of prostate cancer in gay and bisexual men from the general population [are] not known". This is a slight advance in the course of two years; WebMD's Cari Nierenberg reported in 2011 that, "Prior to this point, there's been a lack of information about sexual orientation and dection rates and health status of cancer survivors, since registries to not break out data by sexual orientation."

In the end, we need the actual JCE study reported by The Telegraph in order to translate what the article tells us:

On the other hand, those who have slept with more than 20 men are twice as likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer of all types compared to those who have never slept with a man.

And their risk of having a less aggressive prostate cancer increases by 500 per cent compared to those who have had only one male partner.

Dr Parent said that she could only formulate "highly speculative" hypotheses to explain the association.

"It could come from greater exposure to STIs, or it could be that anal intercourse produces physical trauma to the prostate," [Dr. Marie-Elise Parent] said.

This is a tremendous difference compared to the pre-existing information pool; we'll have to see how they drew out their numbers. However, it would not be an extraordinary suggestion that prior data simply provided an incomplete picture, and these corellations were missed.

There is, in the question of gay men and prostate cancer, an important point to be made and reiterated:

The study, published in the Journal Cancer Epidemiology is the first to find a link between the number of sexual partners and the risk of developing cancer.

"We were fortunate to have participants from Montreal who were comfortable talking about their sexuality, no matter what sexual experiences they have had, and this openness would probably not have been the same 20 or 30 years ago," said lead researcher Dr Marie-Elise Parent.

"Indeed, thanks to them, we now know that the number and type of partners must be taken into account to better understand the causes of prostate cancer."

(Boldface accent added)

We know the closet kills. And now we get to find a little more about how and why.

Meanwhile, one point about heterosexual men that the article does not explain is whether the twenty women represents benefit through frequency or diversity, or if both are required.

As it is, there are plenty of men to whom it just won't matter. Any excuse to sleep around, you know?

Notes:

Pascale, Mariarosa, et al. "Is Human Papillomavirus Associated with Prostate Cancer Survival?" Disease Markers. 2013; 35(6):607-613. NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov. November 11, 2014. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3830784/

Nirenberg, Cari. "Study Shows Gay Men Have Twice the Odds of Being Diagnosed With Cancer as Heterosexual Men". WebMD Health News. May 9, 2011. WebMD.com. November 11, 2014. http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationsh...diagnosis-rates-differ-for-gays-heterosexuals

Prostate Cancer UK and Stonewall. Exploring the needs of gay and bixexual men dealing with prostate cancer. January, 2013. ProstateCancerUK.org. November 11, 2014. http://prostatecanceruk.org/media/1798529/gay_and_bisexual_men_dealing_with_pc_report.pdf

Centers for Disease Control. "HPV and Men — Fact Sheet". February 23, 2012. CDC.gov. November 11, 2014. http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

Knapton, Sarah. "Sex with 21 women lowers risk of prostate cancer, academics find". The Telegraph. October 28, 2014. Telegraph.co.uk. November 11, 2014. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...s-risk-of-prostate-cancer-academics-find.html

11. cosmictotem Registered Senior Member

This is a bit of a conundrum. How will I ever reconcile my usual disinterest in sex with my desire to remain cancer free? Now I have to turn myself into a chick magnet and I'm so busy as it is.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What if you have sex with 21 women and 21 men?

13. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

At the same time?

Hmm, that adds up to 42...

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

if the intended end result is ejaculation (which the article says is what seems to provide the protection) then it seems that straight or gay, you don't really need a second person involved

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

I would think most men have ejaculated more than 42 times in their lives, and yet there is such a thing as prostate cancer. Could this '21 women article' be more B.S. in this world where everything is 110% B.S? You decide.

16. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

More bad news for me.

17. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

its more than just ejaculation, during sex with a women you got fluid interaction of hormones that make one happy, plus the vagina provides a great way of keeping the action clean since it acts as a sterilizer for the sperm.

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Most men will get prostrate cancer, but the majority of those will have a non aggressive form of it, and need not worry much about it. I still believe all men over 50 should be getting PSA tests and if the reading is over 5, repeat the test yearly looking for any change in the numbers. If the numbers are moving up a little every year, you should probably schedule a biopsy. The biopsy is needed for your health insurance to pay for any treatment you might want to go forward with. There are many types of treatments and you should research them all before consulting with your doctors. If you have prostrate cancer and choose to do nothing, it could lead to a shorter life for you and a very nasty painful death. If you get it treated you will have a good probability that something else will kill you first. After all something is going to kill you sooner or later.

In the mean time having lots of sex is one of the perks of being alive, so whatever work for you is good.