Sesame Street

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Orleander, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

omg I LOVED that book!! i loved elmo and grover

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Elmo wasn't around when I was little. I have to admit I cried when Mr Hooper died.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

There is little in the history of my life I have warmer memories, more admiration or greater respect for than Sesame Street.
    I coudn't begin to explain how important it was for me or how much it meant and means to me.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I feel that way about Captain Kangaroo. He was the first man I ever wanted to marry

Did you have a favourite character One Raven?

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Then it was a toss up between Grover and Cookie Monster.
    Today it is definitely Cookie Monster.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I just learned Cookie Monster's real name a few days ago.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Is it a secret?
    Why not share it?
    How did you learn it?

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, I just didn't want to ruin it for you. Maybe you would never look at him the same again.
    It was Sid before he ate his first cookie. He sang it in one of his songs. I don't know exactly when but I think my daughter was about 6 (5 yrs ago)

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

He looks like a Sid.

I have a coat that is made of the same kind of fur, with a big, furry hood.

14. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

One of these days I will tell the story about how Cookie Monster once made me cry.

15. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

I use to call elmo Emo...and chy calls him momo haha

16. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I liked Oscar The Grouch.

17. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

18. John99 Banned Banned

i think i only watched it one or two times. i cant understand why i never wtched it more.

19. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Bert and Ernie were my favorites. But I loved them all really, except wormy.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I was already an adult (at least chronologically) when Sesame Street debuted, so I didn't really get into it. But my wife and I have always been huge Muppet fans. From their skits on the first seasons of Saturday Night Live to the Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, Dinosaurs!, their other short-lived TV series, one-offs like "Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas," Muppetry on other shows like Farscape, and the Muppet movies. One of my top three all-time favorite films is "The Dark Crystal." Some people just don't have the sense of wonder to appreciate it, but I'm sure all of you who are posting on this thread do. If you haven't seen "The Dark Crystal," run out to the video store and get it right now!

Nonetheless we have watched a great many episodes of Sesame Street.

My favorite Muppet is Junior Gorg on Fraggle Rock, but how can you not love Kermit?

There was a Muppet exhibit at the Smithsonian a year or two ago and I was there. We cried when Jim Henson died. His alma mater, the University of Maryland, has a bronze statue of him sitting on a park bench talking to Kermit--who appears as a distinct character rather than a puppet. We have photos of each of us joining the conversation.

The Washington Post did a very nice article on the anniversary of Sesame Street. The people who launched it started with a very simple idea: "There's no reason why television can't be a good influence on children."

It's shown all over the world. In some countries they dub it into the native language, in others they produce entirely new shows domestically with a whole different cast and their own sets and stories. And alphabets.

21. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

some of the nation's (uh, the u.s. that is) finest arbiters of taste and wholesomeness (up there with tipper gore) have deemed the recent releases of the early seasons of sesame street on dvd as "unsuitable viewing" for young, impressionable minds. (link? just google it. i think the story was in the new york times some months back.) you know, all those black folk milling about in an as-yet-ungentrified neighborhood; a fuzzy green guy who lives in a trash can and suffers from untreated major depressive disorder; two fellows of dubious sexual orientation sharing a flat and prone to argumentation; and a big bird who frequently hallucinates encounters with a long extinct giant furry mammalian critter.

and no, i'm not making this up.

22. Dirty Dan And knowing is half the battle Registered Senior Member

OMG Or I looooove that book!!!

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What about Oscar?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009