Sell MPG Caps! Scam or Legitimate?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by lixluke, Oct 19, 2007.

?

MPG Freedom: Scam or Legitimate?

1. Legitimate

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Scam

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

MPG FREEDOM is a multi-level pyramid marketing program in which you sell MPG Caps. Customers buy these pills, and drop them into car gasoline tank in order to increase milage. The claim is that these pills increase car milage by 7%-14%. On top of that, they list a whole plethora of other improvements.

Improved Performance
    Increased Octane
    Increase Power
    Stronger Acceleration
    Smoother Engine Operation
    Reduction of Harmful Smog Emmissions

I know some people that want to invest everything and devote their lives to this program recruiting sales people and selling these pills.

MPG Freedom
    Scam or Legitimate?

User wants to sue
    NBC reports it works 1
    NBC reports it works 2

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What's in them? I can put fuel injector cleaner in my car, and it might help a little if you have dirty injectors.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It claims "these pills increase car milage by 7%-14%. On top of that, they list a whole plethora of other improvements." . That wouldn't be any type of injector cleaner that could make that type of improvements that I've ever seen in my lifetime.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Anything to prevent having to give up my gas guzzler.

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I would probably approach this as clear and present nonsense. It all seems so dubious.

I know an individual that is totally gonghe about getting into this pyramid. She believes these pills can be sold to large companies that implement motor vehicles. Postal, trucking, taxi, pizza, etc. The organization itself claims to have a huge contract with some Belgain company that use these pills regularly. She personally knows a few people that use it in their own cars, and are pleased with the results. I would not recommend she test it on her own vehicle. Is there good reason to believe this product is garbo?

If this were legit, wouldn't gasoline companies incorporate it into their fuel. If it is so beneficial to the car in all those ways, it would be the super supreme grade gasoline.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This seems typical of the myopia of Americans towards our energy crisis. Instead of real solutions like reducing driving, driving a small efficient car, using diesel, riding a bike, taking mass transport, not investing in Middle Eastern oil, they think they can buy a little pill that will solve all their problems.

11. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

I would be worried about clogging my fuel filter with one of those pills or worse blowing up my engine.
    If this stuff really worked it wouldn't be in pill form. It would be another additive to gasoline from the suppliers.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The only thing you can add to motor fuel to increase the average energy per unit volume is a supplemental fuel that contains more energy per unit volume. Such substances exist, but they are more expensive per unit of energy than gasoline so they cost more than they're worth except for racing engines, and they violate the rules of most types of racing. In addition, they're not miraculous: adding a "cap" of genuine high-energy fuel will not decrease your rate of fuel consumption measurably.

It's probably a little bit of injector cleaner and a whole lot of hype. Most of us can't measure our fuel consumption accurately in the short run because it varies colossally with speed and traffic conditions. So it's easy to believe that that little pill made the car run more efficiently. I had a Porsche 928 that varied from 25mpg (9 l/100km) on the open road to 14mpg (16 l/100km) in congested city driving. It would have been impossible to measure the effect of a fuel additive.

I would not be flabbergasted if there really is a Belgian company that uses these pills. Corporate leaders are not always smarter than the rest of us.

Spider, the single best thing Americans can do to reduce our petroleum consumption is to make telecommuting mandatory for all jobs in which it's possible. About one-fourth of our petroleum goes directly into commuting fuel. These days the majority of workers spend all day using their telephone and their computer, devices we all have at home.

13. draqon Banned Banned

follow my example: I bike every day...even if it rains...even when it snows...even when its smog everywhere...even when I just want to bike.

14. Klippymitch Thinker Registered Senior Member

I would if everyone else was and if everything else I wanted to go to wasn't 10-15 miles away minimum.

15. draqon Banned Banned

And if everyone else takes a gun points it to their head and shoots the bullet through their heads...would you do it too?

For long distances use public transportation. Fall asleep on the bus and dream of a beautiful days of summer and never ending curtain of snow in winter...

16. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Why do you young guys assume every place is like where you live? For instance, there are no street busses in my small town and no bike lanes except in residential areas for exercise purposes. We do have a few small public transport busses that pick up older people no longer able to drive and they also visit low-income areas to take those people to doctor's appointments and some limited shopping. Those busses are not available to take people to work and back though. You don't want to commute to work with a bike on 4 to 6 lane streets where everyone is driving 45-50 mph if you value your life. I own a custom-made circuit racer that I bought several years ago for exercise in my subdivision mostly. I blew out one knee riding the bike, then the other knee went out from the additional stress on it. I can no longer ride a bike for any distance, even if bike lanes were added to the streets. I have also had two back operations that were the main reason for selling my Harley because I could no longer comfortably ride even a motorbike. Options available for younger people living in larger cities do not work for the general population living in smaller towns and rural areas. Smaller towns and rural or suburban areas are where most working people raising a family live and own their homes, not on college campuses or in downtown apartment complexes.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

18. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Yes, when I was younger I thought they were cool. I am older now and after many years of riding different types of bikes, it is no longer a high priority. At one time many years ago, I had my driver's license suspended for a DUI.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I bought a Yamaha and wore a full-face helmet so I could get to work and back without being identified by local police. Worked fine, I was never stopped while my license was suspended.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I quit drinking after that episode and haven't had any more problems.

19. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Placebo effect. If you think that your car gets better mileage, your car actually will get better mileage. Think it's silly? Once you think your car is getting better mileage, you wind up buying a fancy oil that actually does increase mileage, you put in new spark plugs in place of the dirty ones, you change the air filter, and you change your driving style.

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I just had a thought that might be worth mentioning. Consider a consumer buying this product, and measuring the difference in milage between the tank before it started popping pills and after popping pills. This is far from a scientific test.

Consider this test without any bloody pill. The charlatan tests for the car's approximate milage as the basis for this experiment. Then he continues to measure the milage of the car againts the fits measurement (no pill). It didn't seem to change. Now the pill company says it could take a few tries before it will work. This individual continues to take measurements. If the milage is worse or the same, the charlatan continues to take these measurements without the pill. All until finally, one of the results show better milage significant enough to justify the claims of the pill. Then the individual stops experiment statisfied that the pill worked even though no pill ever went into the tank.

Because of the utter inaccuracy of this experiment there is a decent probability that a significantly better result is bound to eventually appear after a few rounds. A result significant enough to appease a pollyannaish consumer.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

buy all you can!

22. draqon Banned Banned

I dont value my life, I had it with this life. I drive on highways were there are no lines for bikes...this isn't dream life. I drive alongside cars, buses, huge trucks. And it does not matter who drives by me or what day it is. I once rode 80 miles at night on highway from one state I never been to to another state. And my house is ***t, I have to bike uphill most of the time.

23. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

You wanna know the best part...?

It only gets worse !!!

BWAAAA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!
    :yay: :blbl: :yay:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.