Seeking knowledge

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Islamsmylife, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Islamsmylife Registered Senior Member

My answer will be a biased one that you will disagree with and/or debate me on and I did not post on this forum to debate. Therefore I gave you character traits of knowledge without giving you the exact definition of it. As you can see by my name-my answer will be bias and will spark a debate that I neither want to maintain nor engage in. So I'd much rather read the definitions that others suggest. By the way, you can not make a claim without supporting that claim with evidence. How is what I said absurd in any way?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bishadi Banned Banned

In a sense of self, i agree. (try my ego)

far more applicable

we as individuals, "want to know" and to understand, makes life predictable (notice the old folk are often so laid back? Appears they wise to life by time.)

notice the extremes you have addressed; protect self from others (fear), to comprehending (confident), then the 'joy' of being aware and capable

Knowledge seems evidenced by the increased capability for life to further. To see the evidence of the claim, see how the global population explosion has occurred over the last 1000 years, then almost like moores law for computing, the more medical advancements, the increase of birth rate and life expectance.

from housing to food production to simply making a fire and clothing

but the overall scope, i believe, is that existence is defining itself.

Ever hear of the concept; "creation; by the word"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No it isn't.
    Again.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Indeed.

Mod Hat,

Bishadi, you've been warned multiple times concerning your proselytization here with respect to that concept. I shouldn't need to remind you to cease to bring it back up.

8. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Simply put, the point to seeking knowledge is to better oneself. With knowledge comes understanding, and with understanding comes wisdom. Wisdom or enlightenment is the path to a state of perfect life (where you yourself are joyous and you bring joy to others). If everyone achieved this state, the world would be a perfect world. However, the path to knowledge and experience can be hard and/or cruel for those who are not wise. And that is where the world has problems. That is why we need our fathers and mothers and friends and uncles, etc. AND teachers to help teach us to be wise. You have to be taught the wisdom that is necessary to seek knowledge. Teach your kids the wisdom of seeking knowledge, it sounds like they don't know why they should seek knowledge yet.

9. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Are they really happy? Or rather, are they experiencing all the happiness they can? How would they know the difference? Personal happiness is meaningless if your spouse is not happy.

As far as status or intellect, that i'm afraid is one of those lemons. In this case, the path to knowledge can be cruel, as I said before. The burden on society to teach the wisdom necessary for the individual to seek knowledge might be impossible. That problem is too big without, at a minimum, a perfect city....maybe one day...

Just to be clear, I'm talking about individuals who come from poor or broken homes. Or, individuals who have not the intellect to learn as fast the lesson, or at all. These individuals are especially the responsibility of the society since home is not enough. Unfortunately, I don't think there exists a perfect society that is willing to bear the burden properly. Some of these kids would take a lifetime, and society is not that giving because there exists no perfect city.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  10. Bishadi Banned Banned

i believe

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And your belief is incorrect.
    No matter how hard or how much you believe it, it's nonsense.

You should get into a discussion with one of the woo woos here: he's always castigating people about valuing their personal beliefs over reality.
    Maybe you could learn something.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  12. Bishadi Banned Banned

why?

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Because if you stick to reality (especially when it contradicts your beliefs) then you'll stop posting insupportable nonsense.

14. Bishadi Banned Banned

A response with evidence is not within your grasp.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

It's strange that you still ignore all the other threads where you've espoused this crap and been explicitly shown where and how you are wrong.
    Like I said: you're putting your incorrect belief over reality: that's called "delusion".

16. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Fully agreed.

Bishadi, if that's not evidence enough for you, I would suggest you head off to Pseudoscience or something else of its ilk.

17. Bishadi Banned Banned

not a once

just like your claim on this post, you just whine and thats it

what is incorrect with suggesting we (mankind) are within existence itself and mankind created all words, which is how any definition of anything even exists?

how is that logic incorrect?

18. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

That's tautologous and therefore useless.

non sequitor

Because in the first place, it's not remotely logical, and in the secnd place, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic.

Mod Hat,

Bishadi, consider yourself officially Warned.
    Stay on topic, and discuss the topic. This is not the place to further your agenda.

19. Bishadi Banned Banned

that is my post for this subject (perhaps it is best, that i just ignor the few)

20. Bishadi Banned Banned

i gave an OPINION

i gave an opinion and you know there is nothing to debate on the claim
    i answered the OP and then in ONE line offered an OPINION

i have no agenda

except to share MY OPINION and let people think for themselves

the OP was asking a question, i offered my post and the OPINION so any can observe how i determined the concepts shared

You know the ONLY way you can push YOUR agenda is by force.

but do you address the OP, the rant of the D or even ONE item to discredit or show the OPINION is wrong?

NOPE!

21. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

We'll look at one point you made;

You equate "an uneducated man" with "a savage".

jan.

22. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Two points: this isn't a place for mere opinion. Secondly, despite what you said being your opinion, it also happens to be tautologous, as noted.

Again, this isn't a forum for mere opinions.

See above.

Then do it elsewhere.

Incorrect.
    My only agenda here is to assist in the development of decent discourse. Thus, I have to constantly admonish you.

Learn to read.

Mod Hat.

Bishadi,

Next up on the Ban cycle for you is a permaban.
    I cannot stress enough to you the importance of avoiding incoherence, proselytization, opining, and a complete lack of consideration for logical discourse. Technically, I let you off easy with a Warning. Be warned now: the next display of deviation from acceptable posting in here will result in your being banned permanently.
    Note also that a response to this directive here in this thread qualifies as such, as does your post earlier today. As a Moderator, when I drop into the thread and post a comment, if you feel like responding, you must do so via PM.
    Heed this warning well.