Sedimentary Means Water Deposited

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by IceAgeCivilizations, Mar 24, 2007.

1. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The presuppositions of radiometric dating are untenable, and many different kinds of dragons are described in the legends and written histories.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

IceAgeCivilizations,

Your assumption seems to be that there must have been a worldwide flood, due to the presence of sedimentary rock all around the world.

I have a different explanation. As you say, rivers bring sediment from the continents to the bottom of the oceans, where they form layers. If there was one worldwide flood, there would be one layer of sediment evenly spread around the planet. Even though it might have formed distinct bands as it settled out, these characteristics would be about the same wherever we found this layer. There is no evidence for such a layer.

Instead, we find many different kinds of sediment, depending on where it eroded from. Some places accumulate chalk.

The layers in the grand canyon are not uniform, as if formed from the same stuff, there are sometimes gaps of millions of years in successive layers. This is because another layer did form, was eroded away over millions of years, and another formed on top of that.

Also, a worldwide flood would have floated off the ice caps in Greenland and Antarctica. They could not have reformed in such a short time. The evidence is in the seasonal layers of ice and bubbles which go back more than 160,000 years.

To prove a global flood could have happened, you need a theory that allows two or more layers in the ice to form each year, a process that is not occurring in modern times.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Well said spidergoat.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

According to who? You?

Which legends? Which histories?

LOL. Yeah, giant 12 headed monsters, along with giant one eyed creatures and a whole array of other creatures are described in the story of Hercules. Does that make them real?

Ice, by the way, harry potter is not real. Neither is eragon. I'm sorry to break it to you.

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Lots of sedimentary rock is formed from wind deposits.

Also quiet deposition in lakes.

Also glacial deposits.

None of those kinds form during a deluge.

I figured out what syngameon is. It's the new word for "kind". People were making too much fun of "kind".

9. geologyrocks Registered Senior Member

Well

Well I did have a nice post all written about Siccar Point. But being a new member I can't post links (even images!!!) - kinda pointless as what's the use of me ranting on without any form of reference?

I suggest you go to wikipedia and type in Siccar Point. There also a nice picture on a website called geologyrocks.co.uk. You can search for the image (try typing Siccar Point into the search) on there too.

The terms wadi (wikipedia), turbidite (wikipedia) and breccia (geologyrocks glossary) might be helpful too. Unconformity would also be a good word to look up.

Basically there are two rocks types (both sedimentary) with a clear unconformity between them, given one set is tilted at 70 degrees, the other at 4. One formed in the sea. The other on land. I'd be interested to see what imaginative and creative solution IceAge comes up with.

I did post my post on geologyrocks. As I can't link to it you can find it on my (Jon) blog there

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So much for my "good deed of the day" (on the Sabbath too!) to at least put over a coherent argument which, while unlikely to dissuade a fervent creationist, might have made him/her look up stuff.

10. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

How does the presence of an unconformity supposedly negate the Deluge Model?

Sedimentary layers form in water, by definition, and the continents are covered with often vast sedimentary layers which are often stacked like pancakes, and limited unconformities occur where some tectonism tilted beds during the Deluge, with subsequent sedimentation atop it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  11. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Hey geologyrocks, what caused the ocean to rise up onto the continents, then recede, to leave the vast sedimentary layers with billions of creatures (99% marine) entombed therein?

12. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

This thread belongs in the pseudoscience section. By the way, it would seem that omitted from sedimentary processes is wind and glacial forces as methods of deposition, an omission typical of pseudoscience.

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

"Wind and glacial forces" account for maybe 1% of the geology which we see, you are real piece of work Skin, head in sand.

You can't answer the question either, can you Skin?

14. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Additionally, Skin, wind and glaciers are erosive forces, right?

15. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

"The sediments that covered the roots of these ancient mountains were deposited by a series of advancing and retreating ocean coast lines. As the climate of our planet warms and cools the median sea level of the planet rises and falls due to the melting and freezing of the polar caps. When the sea level rises, land areas which are close to the coast and relatively low in altitude are sometimes submerged. This was the case with the land area of the Grand Canyon and is why so many different sedimentary rock layers exist. Each of these was formed by a different period in which the ocean moved in and covered the land, stayed for a while, and then retreated again. Limestone deposits are created when the ocean moves in and slates, shales and mudstone deposits are created when the ocean moves out and the area is covered by silts washing into the retreating ocean."

http://www.kaibab.org/geology/gc_geol.htm

I've posted this probably 3 times yet you have ignored it each time.

16. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

So where are the river valleys in the geologic column from between the supposed multiple periods of ocean transgressions?

17. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

You're crawfishing, no surprise.

18. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Where are the river valleys in the geologic column? They would be there if your uniformitarian geology is correct.

19. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Which geologic column? There are more than one.

20. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The geologic column is a generic term for the geologic record, there should be many river valleys with the geologic column, but where are they NDS?

21. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Why should there be many river valleys, when the excerpt I gave you spoke of the ocean periodically submerging the land in water and creating a "pancake" effect of sediments?

Also, how long do you presume it takes for particles of rock to mineralize and become stone? I guarantee you it's much longer than 1 or two months.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  22. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Why longer than one or two months?

And why would river valleys "pancake out," please explain (this oughta be good).

23. Roman Banned Banned

You've never been to Alaska, have you?