SD Card Slot not recogized.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Bruinizm, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Bruinizm Registered Senior Member

This has happened before on my laptop.
    For some reason it has stopped recognizing an SD Card when it is placed into the onboard slot reader. I can't recall what the fix was last time but know it was working within 2 months ago.

I have tried to uninstall / re-install the Toshiba drivers for it but that doesn't seem to fix it.

I also tried my USB SD Card Adapter but for some Windows 7 wants me to format the card without another option. If I were to do that I assume I'd lose all my pics on the card.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as always.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Is it the same SD card that worked previously? Do you have another card to test with?

Try inserting the card, then powering down your computer, then back up to see if it's recognized at boot up. If not, put the card back in your camera and connect the camera via USB (if possible) to download the images before reformatting the card.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bruinizm Registered Senior Member

Thanks.
    Yes, it was the same SD card. Not working with others either.
    Not recognized at boot up.
    Managed to get the original Toshiba driver installed, however the only thing that
    has changed is that the SD slot light flashes now when any card is inserted.
    Nothing else. No new drive shows up within My Computer.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Does your camera still read the card?

Have you thoroughly checked for virii?

If you have a spare bit of change, try buying a USB SD card reader for about $15 and check to see if the onboard port has dirty pins or some other physical problem.

8. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Go into your Device Manager and see if it is showing the SD reader as a working device - and troubleshoot from there.

If it's not showing up in your Device Manager then it may be hidden, in which case go to View and click on the "show hidden devices" option and see if it turns up. If it doesn't turn up even then... :/

If it does show up and the troubleshooting doesn't work, I guess you could power into Safe Mode and try to get it to work from there.

Also, if you're using Windows, check that your drivers are compatible with the Windows you're running, and if not try installing them in Compatability mode.

Other than that, what Dr_Toad said!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Cool. I don't use Windows, but used to get paid to troubleshoot it, God help me.. He did say it was Win 7, right? :runaway:

Your instructions were specifically for Windows, I thought. (I don't use MacOS, but you didn't mention the finder or starting without extensions by holding the fan key and what have you. Do Macs still work that way, even?)

On Linux it would either work or you'd find an entry in an error log somewhere..

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

2 more options:
    unistall the device from device manager.
    restart windows.
    connect the device to the computer.
    a new device wizard should open.
    let it search the net and make sure the driver CD is in the drive.

when uninstalling/ reinstalling, it's always best to restart windows after uninstalling and before reinstalling.
    IOW,uninstall, restart windows, reinstall.

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

What can cause the problem is if an SD card is removed without "Ejecting" from within the software. The reason for this is that when you first insert your SD card, you're basically "Mounting" it to a drive letter. This generates a locational pointer where the files can then be read from or written to. When you remove a card without using the "Eject" method (In windows, right clicking on the drive letter) your leaving it to the operating system to poll (When it decides to run a clean up operation) how to "unmount" the now missing device.

This on it's own shouldn't effect the drive letter or it's mount point, however if the operating system is using a precache method to identify what's on the card it can potentially cause fragmentation if the card's removed during any pre/post operating system operation. This means the cards partition can become damaged, which means it's no longer detected correctly when it's placed into the drive again.

You could possibly use a program like TestDisk to recover the partition(I've not tried this particular piece of software so if you do try it tell us how you get on with it)

This is of course assuming there is nothing wrong with the SD card itself.

12. Bruinizm Registered Senior Member

Thank you everyone.
    I have many SD cards.
    The two with pictures on them that I'm trying to retrieve are both recognized by their cameras.
    I do have a USB SD card adapter. When I place it into a usb port with any SD card Win7 want me to format them.
    I can get the original Toshiba driver for the SD Card slot installed, but it still doesn't work when a card is inserted, all I get is a brief flash of the light, then nothing.
    Have tried all the Device Manager troubleshooting, all attempts have failed.

I have tried all the suggested options given to me from this thread and nothing seems to work.
    This has me baffled. Looks to me like a Win7 issue with the 2003 original drivers.

13. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

If you have access to a machine with a good OS you can retrieve them that way. :shrug: Good luck!

14. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Bruinizm, if the pictures are still 'readable' in the camera, then you should be able to access/transfer them through the original 'pigtail/USB data cord' that came with your camera.

Possibly?

15. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I suggested that already. I guess you missed it?

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

USB drivers MUST be installed BEFORE plugging in the device.
    plugging the device into a USB port and then installing the drivers WILL NOT WORK.

17. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

How is that gem relevant?

18. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

No, Dr_Toad, I did not "miss it". I simply reiterated "it" for Bruinizm, since he had not responded as to whether or not he had tried that course of action.

19. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but have you sought updated drivers?

20. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Beg pardon. I missed it.