Sciforums Voting Age

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by CounslerCoffee, May 29, 2004.

?

Should the voting age be raised?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2004.
  1. Yes, make it 250 posts.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Yes, make it 500 posts.

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. No, leave it at ten (I like my polls tampered with).

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. No, I have less than 250 and this thread is a pile of crap.

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Silverback Registered Senior Member

I think StarOfEight and CC have it right. Any kind of either/or would allow a limit on how many bogus accounts can be set up for voting, and passers-by from screwing with a serious issue just for enterainment.

Either that, or does Porf have some way of only allowing one vote per IP address?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Probably should specify the time limit as 30 days before the poll opens. Just to be precise about it.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Silverback, restricting it by IP would take care of the problem of shitheads with too much time on their hands who register repeatedly, but it'd still leave the polls open to shitheads with too much time on their hands who get their fellow shitheads to register here.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"Probably should specify the time limit as 30 days before the poll opens. Just to be precise about it." i dunno, what if a poll is open for ages, and someone learns what the poll is about by reading everyone elses posts, then they shud be able to vote

"restricting it by IP would take care of the problem of shitheads with too much time on their hands who register repeatedly, but it'd still leave the polls open to shitheads with too much time on their hands who get their fellow shitheads to register here."
    then couldnt we do both? one vote per IP address and the 1 month or 100 post min as well

8. Silverback Registered Senior Member

Thanks, StarOfEight. I am all in favor of Shithead reduction by any and all means possible. It seems that IP address would eliminate the problem at hand (those listed by CC as sharing a single IP) and the 30 day, 100 post limit would cut down on "calling in friends" if that really is a problem at all.

How long does a banning poll (or other poll) stay open for anyhow? Should the time limit be designed to always be longer than the poll to keep out the "calling in friends" when a poll like that is opened? ie: If bannings are always 30 day polls, shouldn't the time limit be 31 days to prevent people on either side from pulling in outsiders?

9. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

50 posts or a month, IP restrictions can have a bad effect of blocking people with the same external IP, increase post count if the problem persist.

edit: i would prefere no limits, perhaps limit ban threads to the site owner, instant 3 day ban for ANY other person that creates a ban thread.

10. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

a time limit would be fair. Say a month?

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Just a time limit would probably not work, since the cautious troll would probably make some accounts in advance.

12. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"perhaps limit ban threads to the site owner"
    isnt the point of ban threads so that porfiry can find out who is not wanted at sciforums with less effort?

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Ban threads get out of hand to easy, im amazed it took this long. Porfiry & co or only Porfiry could make ban thread based on how often a user had his posts reported.

i dont like limits, if the sciforum populus cannot handle ban threads, we might as well loose that option

14. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Besides which, Porfiry retains veto power over any ban poll.

15. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

Fair comment spurious .Do trolls actully do that?? sad twats! . I know i`m fairly new here , and don`t have that many posts (yet) but we all have to start somwhere.250 posts is still a while away for me so i have`nt voted on this poll ,and don`t fancy the other options.

16. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Dont worry slotty at your current rate it will only take you 452 days before you have 250 posts

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

lol. thanks for that . and i reckoned juggling soot and nailing jelly to a wall was soul destroying!

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Hei slotty!

give me your password for a few days and I will fill up your post count until it starts to look decent.

19. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

hang on , a one legged man trying to kick a football up a down escalater -thats soul destroying .but i did laugh at the guy trying

20. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

i was in the same situation once slotty, but i didnt laugh at him, i was too busy trying to remove a leg from my chainsaw

21. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

yes give us your pwd slotty, we only want to help.

anyway, limits will not keep the morons at bay, unless it gets set high, so high that it will hamper the regular users

22. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

thanks for the offers of help, but i`ll have to decline,i think some posters would abuse it

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

not us...we are nice!

cough cough...

aren't we Kunax?