Sciforums religion survey 2014

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Dec 21, 2014.

?

What do you believe? (Select all that apply.)

Poll closed Jan 11, 2015.
  1. I don't believe in God now, and I never did.

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. I don't believe in God now, but I used to.

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. I believe in God now, but in the past I did not.

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. I believe in God now, and always have.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. I have no opinion on God/do not wish to select one of the above options.

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. I don't believe in God, but I believe there is a higher power, life force or similar.

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. I don't regard myself as religious, but I am a spiritual person.

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. I believe that human beings have a soul or life force which remains after the death of the body.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  9. I believe in reincarnation.

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  10. I describe myself as a follower of a recognised religion.

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Essentially, if we just talk without mentioning the super natural, then most of what I'm saying is natural. Earth is a mother of life as we know it.

The only facts we know concerning life as we know it, are that the earth is the only planet we know of that actually sustains life, and through evolution created intelligent life. This is all we know, the rest is speculation and conjecture.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I know.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Haha - well perhaps, and I think I read a compliment in there a little. For those who have doubts about their beliefs I have indeed managed to encourage a change of heart in some, certainly with my more objective posts rather than the sarcastic style. But you are correct that those who are locked to a particular belief, change in the short term from arguments here might be rare.

I think the world would be a much better place if everyone could think more clearly - something that should be taught in schools but is sadly lacking. Knowledge helps a great deal providing people are open to it, especially new knowledge.

8. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Because it is special, I believe life should be celebrated. There could actually be quadrillions of planets, but there is no evidence of life anywhere. I do however think there is life, just not life that was created through cosmic evolution.

It means that you being part of life on this amazing and beautiful planet where we get the chance to lust, to swim, to climb, to drink a glass of fine wine and eat the finest of foods, to father/mother children, to give the possibility to love those children is all down to nature. Without nature humans might as well not exist. What is most important in your life Cris?

How could you enjoy well being if you have not experienced horror. For every negative there is a postive.

9. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I agree. Society is in a stagnant state, your everyday Joe is simply treat like cattle by their leaders. Which is another subject.

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Is that a justification for God allowin children to suffer horrors... an if so... what "well being" comes from children starvin to death.???

11. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

The onus is on us as a race to "heal the world" if you like, and we are doing a piss poor job of it, or should I say our leaders are.

12. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

How can these "spirits" be god? Surely they are simply spirits.

Surely the entities you talk about, have the power to live within the physical realm as a human being, even if it just temporary?

So, do you believe in something higher than these spirits? Zeus etc...

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

The things I was describing are gods. I don't understand your confusion.

Sure, they can. But it's unnecessary, and is not the default state. They don't require physicality to be effective.

Do you know anything at all about Greek mythology?

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Does God bear no responsibility... eventho he knew beforehand that millions of children woud suffer unspeakable horror after he put his creation plan into action.???

15. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I'm not confused, I'm stuck for words. Do you believe in a god of war for example? Does each god have a specialty? Were they once human?

Okay, I might touch on this again later.

I know a bit, about the legends etc. Is your belief solely focused on the Greek gods, or do you accept the possibility that there is also Egyptian gods for example? Also, are the Roman gods simply reflections of the Greek pantheon?

16. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Of course He does. What you have to remember is that God is the ultimate serial killer as well as the ultimate friend. If you don't want to know Him, then don't pursue Him. Us as beings have got rules, and WE break them all the flipping time.

Sometimes I wonder, why the hell does God bother with us.

EDIT: Removed potentially offensive word.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  17. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

King David at some stage explains what I'm trying to say much better, I just can't remember the verse, not that you'd be interested, no offense.

I, personally, have suffered a great deal in life, but it has only strengthened my faith in God, go figure...

18. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

It is not possible for a bunch of glorified caveman to build the megalithic structures without some outside help.

Also, what was so special about "pyramid" structures? Did they get the idea from the Egyptians? Why didn't they simply build a square?

I don't understand why or what your saying here.

19. Seattle Valued Senior Member

We are "aliens" from the viewpoint of someone living on Mars. Why would someone from another planet bring mica to this planet or have machinery large enough to transport it on this planet?

Regarding pyramids, you can see the advantages of such a construction if you wanted to build a tall structure.

They weren't "glorified cavemen".

20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Worship.

I do see the advantages, however I have difficulty accepting that 2 separate civilizations came up with the same idea. Maybe they shared the information, is there any evidence of that?

I know, maybe I am wrong to assume that these people did move stones through jungles and up hills.

21. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Why do you pursue a God who allows children to suffer the torture of rape.???

22. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Apparently I'm an apatheist. Since an informal slot or description like "Zzzzzzzzz..." isn't available.

[X] "I have no opinion on God/do not wish to select one of the above options."

23. leopold Valued Senior Member

i laugh my ass off every time i see the first part of your avatar.