Sciforums religion survey 2014

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Dec 21, 2014.

?

What do you believe? (Select all that apply.)

Poll closed Jan 11, 2015.
  1. I don't believe in God now, and I never did.

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. I don't believe in God now, but I used to.

15 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. I believe in God now, but in the past I did not.

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. I believe in God now, and always have.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. I have no opinion on God/do not wish to select one of the above options.

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. I don't believe in God, but I believe there is a higher power, life force or similar.

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. I don't regard myself as religious, but I am a spiritual person.

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. I believe that human beings have a soul or life force which remains after the death of the body.

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  9. I believe in reincarnation.

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  10. I describe myself as a follower of a recognised religion.

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Good grief, surely you know by now the difference between trust based on immense statistical evidence versus faith based on nothing. Perhaps you have not read my many posts where I have explained the critical differences. Do you need the lesson? The two meanings of the term faith are not interchangeable.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God...for God is love.
    In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent His only Son into the world, so that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we have loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I am referring to your previous posts which will be difficult to understand with seemingly unrelated quotes:

Cris said: "At its root a primary message of Christianity - love your neighbor - is extremely attractive in times of widespread warfare and strife."

I said: "You said it was an easy choice to make, to become a Christian and get thrown to the lions. "

Threads almost always evolve into other areas.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Trust at its core is based on confidence and faith, because you simply do not know if the sun will rise.

8. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I explained to Cris post: 384

9. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I've been high a couple of times, just the weed, in the past few weeks.

10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I know some drugs give you a lovely hit, but it's all inside but feels great. My experience was external, I've explained this in another thread but if you want a recap just ask.

11. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Haha - mixed messages - confusion.

The intent was the message - make love not war. It is attractive from the perspective of a philosophical action plan. When war and violence present themselves, do not respond in kind but resist and make friends instead - defuse the problem. In times of peace there is no need of response. It is primarily when we are threatened that we need the courage to not be provocative. But there is no implication that to do so is simple or easy.

So the Jesus message - love your neighbor and your enemies is attractive within that context.

Hope that helps.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Confidence is not the same thing as religious faith. This is a problem of equivocation.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No experiences are external.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If God were real, I would have to hate him for doing that to his son. It was pointless and cruel. No one can pay the price for one's own misdeeds, that makes no sense. It is in fact an extension of the primitive ritual known as scapegoating.

15. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

LOL - OK I was guessing but that can generate some bizarre behavior. I'll adjust accordingly.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

It is seemingly evident that a minority of violent people practice the opposite of Jesus' message, not judging them, but do you think the world would be better if everyone just said "fuck it, let's just follow Jesus' message, it's pretty basic and easy to understand.". Many non Christians(probably like you, and deaf my brother(atheist) the message isn't required, being decent just comes naturlly.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I agree that the theology of Jesus was unlike what was prevalent at the time. It was revolutionary in it's own way, but then it was also the impediment to further revolution. I can see how people might have been attracted to it.

18. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Agreed.

Maybe billions of people past and present didn't need "religious" faith? Most atheists I know are decent honest people, some transcend decent to great people.

19. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

In your experience and what science says. My experience was external(if your reading Cris, i didn't partake in smoking weed back then

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Jesus' crucifixion give eternal hope to billions of people, if i had the chance i'd of done it.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So who or what experienced it if it wasn't you?

22. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

As explained in another post to you, I'm ceasing to take discussion of my subjective experience.

23. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member