sciforums needs a chat thingy

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Pollux V, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah that would make it much better. When I read through what people say I often see very small sentences written in response to the small sentences that OTHER people have said. I dunno, it's the administrators call, but ya never know maybe the forums would have longer posts? Lez have some opinions!
    Ian

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Quantity does not make a good post. Quality, quality, quality.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

yeah, but, but. . .

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Also, the pace of a chat thingy would require constant monitoring. Would you be willing to host and assume responsibility for such a task?

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

let / do it, suppposedly he's on all the time.

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Oh, and I thought about this, but the chat thingy could only be open for an hour at around eight or something. I dunno.

10. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

We have private messages and we have all these forums to communicate we don't need anything else to talk.

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yes, yes, I want a chat thingy too.
    Sounds great!!
    It is nice, because on chats people always are different.
    Nice, let's do that.
    I will help, if I can.
    There are all different time zones where we all live..
    In the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, South-Africa and what more, Canada, I hope I didn't forget, oh yes, Germany.
    Forgive me if I left out a country, oh yes, Sweden and Great-Britan, so sorry.
    Man, there are so many people here, from so much different country's you have to open the chat all day.

I am willing to help, but I do not have all day.
    So there must be more people who want to do their share.
    Why don't we ask the administrator??
    Does anybody know how to reach the administrator, for it sounds like the big boss.
    And I am always a little afraid of big bosses.
    So let one of you people ask the administrator, I will help.with the chat if I can.
    For sure.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

From what I understand of this, if you were to have a chat room you would need a server that runs 24-7 or at/between certain times.

The problem with this is either you have to get the coding from someone else (which can cost money) or you have to write it yourself.
    Then on top of that you have to cover the security aspect, Take for instance the Moderators and Administrators are trusted people and they can see your IP because it gets logged when you access a board, of course for us mortals we don't see things like that.

The reason for that is the potential security flaw, namely you'd know the IP of an individual which means a malicious person can make them lose packets or cause a DoS (Denial of Service). Which isn't very nice if your OS crashes while your writing a response, or downloading etc.

On top of that it's a potential exploit for people with Backdoors, after all a person might placed a backdoor on your systyem and not accessing it, but people can ping your IP and try to find that backdoor to maliciously use themselves.

Of course the only route around that would to be have a chat script that masquerades the IP, and uses your Username to communicate, but this means you have to have a Chat MUD running, which is alot of constant information being processed by such a server.

The other alternative is to create a small messaging service, that just bounces a message through the server and back to an individual, but this means that it would be 1-0-1 communications rahter than a chat room.

I of course say if anything was to be developed, develop it with encrypted chat text, and remember to create something for the government to pry with if need be, of course the only person with that privilege would be the Master Administrator. (If your really crafty you could sell licenses of such a chat system

)

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Man, what trouble for a simple chat room..
    Can't it be done some easier??

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Always trust the government to make things harder. With the new aspect of terrorism fresh on the minds of the American people I would not doubt that sweeping new demands for tracking and reread capabilities will be in the offing.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Do the sci forums not have a Candian Administrator??
    So, what does it have to do with bush and his war.
    The war bush wants so bad.
    But we do not.
    We only want a chat thingy.
    Nothing wrong there, is there??

16. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Il say thing plain and simple, I like posting not chatting.

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Ok, whatever.
    You don't want a chat, ok.
    Then lets foret it, not?
    It really is a shame.
    I liked it.
    Bye.

18. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Banshee,

The idea is not forgotten. I've considered adding such a feature ever since the very beginning. The limitations are mainly technical. Web-based chats are usually pretty poorly implemented. Real chat programs (IRC in particular) are often harder to set up and use. I've yet to come across a solution that appealed to me, but if I do, I'll certainly consider adding it to sciforums.

19. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Great.
    It will be nice, a chat room or what so ever.
    I hope you will find something to make it real.
    It is nice to chat now and then.
    You have to leave the chat open all day then, because people from all over the world write here.
    All different time zones, so there are always people awake.
    Maybe that makes it more difficult.
    I don't know
    I really hope this works out well.
    Bye.

20. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Well, having a chat thingy would add a whole new level to sciforums. I just want to mention I've recruited another member-mr. sixty two, from my high school. I have another friend that I'm TRYING to recruit but he's a lazy one so it's gonna take a lil effort. We'd all get to know each other much better when talking in real time and could discuss subjects much quicker. Hey, a cool little feature could be a chat-recorder-thingy, so a thread could actually have been a chat. Dave-do the chat thingy! Pleeeez! Or, Puhaleeze! Whichever sounds better to you.

21. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

I have the soultion for you Porfiry! MIRC. Not directly linked the site but is a small free(i think) program that you can download (1 meg). www.MIRC.com Check it out!

22. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Not with microphones please.
    We do not have that here in the Netherlands.
    So, just a chatroom, where you can type.

Shrike, don't whine so...

23. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I wasn't whining!

Come on, banshee I wasn't whining, come on you gotta believe me, pleeeze believe me banshee pleeeeze??!!