sciforums meet up

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by riku_124, Aug 27, 2006.

1. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

i was sitting around and an idea came to me, why dont we have a sciforums meet up thing, almost like a high school reunion?

a bunch of sciforums members meet up that have talked to each other for days, or years, and finally get to see the people they would flame, or debate with.

What do u guys think?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

No... there are a few people I would rather keep online.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

did the thingie work?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think someone tried this before about 4-5 years ago, however the sciforums community is worldwide and well any meeting couldn't handle that. Plus as Absane stated, I'm sure there are just some people you really don't want to bump into.

8. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

There are too many people here that I'd rather stay far away from.

Also, as Stryder stated, we are scattered far and thin. Having a meet-up isn't practical.

Even so, there are a few people here I'd love to meet.

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

You've already met me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I've always wanted to meet Dave only because I have NO clue what the guy looks like or what he is like in real life.

Is there a hidden picture of Dave somewhere?

11. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I have a mental image of what he looks like, and I'm curious if it's anywhere close to correct.

I guess I would like to know what a lot of people on here look like. It would be quite interesting to see how my mental images match up with reality.

12. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I'm all for it! So what if there are a few weirdos? We're all family here. I say let's take it a step further. Let us all live up to our Usernames. We can still maintain our anonymity. The only problem I foresee is that the christians won't come face to face with us, because we're so evil and all that jazz.

Seeing as how were are spread out over the globe, where would be the best location to meet? I think it needs to be something like a week-long event to really get to know our compadres (anonymously, of course).

Then there's always the chance that Woody would show up. If he's banned, does that me he can't come? Well, I suppose we just don't have to invite him, do we?

But what if a few christians come? Will there be a stand-off?

What if we accidentally start WWIII?

Better yet, what will happen when we all come face-to-face? Will it kill the mystery? Would it change our point of view? Could love affairs develop? Let's not forget about hate affairs. Those happen, too.

Maybe I'm just a dreamer, but I know I'm not alone. I say we should take a vote on the time and the place, depending on who plans to come.

I'd like to nominate Houston, Texas, as a possible venue. Any other venues? My second nomination would be Paris (France, that is, not Paris, Texas). Or, maybe since we meet on the Religion Forum, perhaps we should go to Rome or Egypt.

Do you realize that thousands could possibly attend?

I can just imagine that the christians will put on their "full armor of the Lord," and try to convert us.

Imagine the fist fights.

Maybe it's not a good idea after all.

13. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Do you realize that there aren't thousands of regulars here?

Of course, the forums I frequent could be completely different from the ones you do. How many people are coming into the Religion forums?

14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Not nearly enough atheists, I might add, and I still pose the question, "Why do christians come to a scientific forum, if not to preach?"

I, personally, I think all christians should be banned from the religion forum. We know why they're here. That's why we're atheists.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Jesus loves ya

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  16. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i wouldnt mind meeting a few people who live near me

17. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Sciforums meetup.

The nerds all gather in one corner to compare some gadget are aroused. Not because there is one woman (transexual) at the meeting, but because they just felt the cold metal and smooth plastic of technology in their hands. And it beeped when they lovelingly caressed it!

The freaks exchange yoga and vegan diet tips, and reinvent the wheel.

The teenagers talk vividly about all the drama in their lives. And nobody cares. One teenagers gets knocked up.

etc.

etc.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

If it'd be in Europe (Germany or the UK) I'd probably consider (don't have the financial resources for such a trip atm).

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

well, i know of several members that are in europe.
    i could even host up to three members in my home.

20. vslayer Registered Senior Member

well if you all want to come down to new zealand i have a spare room or 2, but the christians must sleep in the hayshed like their beloved leader.

on a more serious note; im going to canada in may/june next year(whenever i get my holidays allocated into the roster), so i could possible meet up with some of you if we organise it properly.

21. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

you lost me there =]. nobody wants to go to new zealand, thats why the flying spaghetti monster put it there =]

22. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I think that if there were a meet up of sciforums members, it should revolve around something useful. like rocketry, microcontroller applications, disturbing the peace at the creationism museum, or something similar.

23. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2006/05/the_big_bang_1.html

(How God created the universe and how life started). Haha.