Sciforums Investment Game

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Xerxes, Mar 13, 2006.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

My, aren't you the tiring babbler.

i demonstrated yours, if you're going to talk the smack, demonstrate your point. show the error or shut the fuck up about it.

you must have missed the part where I said I wasn't intending to be mean.

oh? uh... I have no idea how you arrive at that conclusion. I found evidence to support that you have no capacity to understand what is written or reply in a relevant manner, as you continue to demonstrate. you are trying to "save face" it appears. i don't know why you care.

Are you serious? So in your world, incoherence and stupidity are mutually exclusive? Okay. Imo, that's quite incoherent and stupid. The problem is that people like yourself take the application of a term like "stupid" to be a character assessment, rather than an assessment of a particular statement. I think that's pretty stupid too, btw.

Then why did you say above that I called it incoherent and stupid? Fuck you're confused and tiring. Off with ye.

and of course, I have explained why at least twice... yet you still offer:

But I did, and you are apparently too distracted with how you look to see it.

I am a silly bastard, but I don't see how I look that way in this particular case at all. I think you are basically in defensive mode because you said something stupid and were called on it, then you offered a clarification that sort of made sense but was still sort of weak, which I picked apart again and of course, you ignored in favor of attacking me for pointing out your stupidity.

As you wish, but I'd really rather you just let it go, as this is degrading the quality of the thread.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

LOL. You are one funny dude. Its very simple, you said "Holding" is stupid, can you explain to us why?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

By Wesmorris

Wes, everybody wants to make as much money in 3 months, we already know that; you need to get off your narcissistic Pony. The problem however is that its almost a miracle to make any significant gain in 3-6 months unless there is a real big idea in the making somewhere in the market. Dividend stocks don’t even pay until after at least a year. Short investors are risk takers or people with a lot of leverage; any average investor going short doesn’t make much sense unless you just want to enjoy the thrill of being an investor. Companies are in business to grow, and over a longer period of time they will, making you a lot of return in the process. The only traders that enjoy short-term investing are futures and options traders, in fact short-term investing was made for them, and we all know how risky these are. Sorry if I may have been too defensive. Let me put it this way, “go long” if you are a novice at the market. I have no problem with people calling me stupid, but please have something to back it up with

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Hmm, I almost reached the top. Oh well...

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Lol, narcisstic? Do tell.

If you can make a huge gain in a very short period of time, you're probably just lucky. The point is to keep what you've gained as much as possible.

Okay.

Fine and all, but you're completely missing the point. The point is: Where is the stock going... with consideration to, am I maximizing my return? Of course you can't know for sure, but asking the question should motivate your research. Thus, you don't go into a stock for purposes of "long or short". You should go where the good investments are. Just because a stock IS good doesn't mean it will always BE good. Management changes, market changes, blah blah blah blah. Lots of factors can contribute to making your stock a loser, when it wasn't before. I summarized to bowser.

LOL. That's pure speculation. A company that doesn't exist anymore doesn't make a dime. Some stocks do nothing. Some stocks are great, then suck. Some suck, then are great. So in some cases you're right, but you're saying it's always that way, which is simply wrong.

I haven't a clue where you got to thinking that I've suggested that "the short gain" is the only means of investing. Hard of reading or something? Quote something that supports your point why don't you. If you're referring to what you quoted above, you really should think about what it means before spouting off.

Try thinking and if you still need me to hold your hand through it, I shall.

Accepted. Narcisstistic? Lol. No, that's not it.

Think about how what you quoted from me might mean to your "going long". Can you understand? If you're always trying to make as much as you can in 3 months, you will always be re-evaluating the quality of your investments and as such, maximize your long term profit. Daily is more like it, but really who has the time? I was just saying that if you think of it that way, you'll be forced to constantly re-evaluate your stuff and as such, stay on top of your portfolio, ideally.. seeing large drops before they come and for instance, not getting caught with an enron (hard to tell though, but there were clues I believe), or the tech bubble (which was forseeable to some degree, but tough). So in short, my point above was all about "going long", it's just that going long is NOT "buy and hold". "buy and hold" is an investment sin, because it's not investing. It's praying and putting the blinders on to the rest of the market.

What the shit are you on about? You don't bother to read my explanations and then tell me to back it up? WTF?

Seems like your apology was pretty much full of shit eh? Am I wrong?

9. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Like I said you should always try to ask questions when you don't understand instead of calling people stupid. Of cause you are supposed to do your research a much as possible and keep am eye on your portfolio, thats again is a given, we already know this. What's this al about?

You are insinuating the same thing here.
    I also haven't a clue where you got the thinking that long term is the only means of investing, there is a difference between the best means and the safest means; there is no "safest" means in the market, only the best. Holding is the best means if you want to go long, going long means you are not gambling away money you may need in the near future, it means when your profit comes it will come big time, all this being true of cause if the stock succeeds. If you had invested in Microsoft as an IPO you will be a mighty happy camper today, its not a mystery the best things come with time. Don't get me wrong you can make profits in 1-2 years as well, but the best ones come with time. Yes companies go up and down, but they go up and down almost weekly not just yearly, however there is usually a trend that builds up over time, sell if the trend speaks down and probably buy or hold if the trend speaks "cha-ching".

Thank you for the advice

You are right, buy and hold is maybe an investment sin, though I am confused how any investor will go long without holding. Look you are not a bad guy and you seem to have some knowledge on investing. The point is that I am not using extreme occasional scenarios, more like textbook techniques. Anyone can buy and sell anytime they like for reasons known to them. In my experience stocks fluctuate monthly but build up a trend over time, even this time depends on the individual's preference, but the "biggest" returns come over time, this is the only fact you can be rest assured of. First of all you buy stocks when they are at their lowest so that the only way for them to go is up, which usually takes 2-3 years for value mid-cap companies. So you have to ask yourself, what am I looking for? Am I looking for a couple of return in an outperformed or "peaked" stock or should I prefer to buy an underrated stock and give it time? The former will make you a few hundreds richer but the latter will bring you relative wealth, but neither is more or less risky unless of cause you have the money for a fortune 500 company, which is probably the only thing considerably less risky in the market. So the stock market is riddled with risk, everybody benefits even when stocks fall in price; with all this risk its better to generally aim for bigger wealth, which keeping in mind doesn't usually come overnight. To be honest my advice is "do your own diligence and don't use money you may need in the near future". Experience is usually the best teacher in the market. Its all about risk vs reward, always tell yourself you can't do much about either but you can always enjoy yourself

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  10. mars13 give me liberty Registered Senior Member

my portfolio is kicking ass.im up to 8,if i could invest in penny stocks id be well past number 1 by now,oh well.

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

In three days I went from first place to dead last. Let that be a lesson to all you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Yeah. Diversify yo bonds nigga.

Step to the wu.

Wu-tang financial.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

haha...I went from 3rd to dead last, but apparently I am not dead last anymore?

14. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Haha OMG spurious, you're doing worse that me. I'm only 3rd last!!

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You loser! You can't even manage the last position!

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

" my portfolio is kicking ass..."

Mars,

Good call on the Ethanol (PEIX).

17. mars13 give me liberty Registered Senior Member

thanks,i do stocks in real life too,my portfolio kicks some hardcore ass,but the fed rate hike has stagnated the market this week.

i just wish i could trade penny stocks on this thing,the .OB stocks are not suppoter by it.id be up over 100% by now.

HDRX.OB[atmospheric water generation],look it up,invest now,it will be a fortune 500 company in 5-10 years.the technology is just too good,also XSNX.OB,they make transparent solar panel films for windows.

invest in the future and youll always do good.

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

DJIA

Quite the tumble.