Sciforums Future !!Read it you Muppet!!

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Stryder, Dec 28, 2007.

?

What do you want to see for the Future of Sciforums.com?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2008.
  1. Sciforums should become a true Science site.

25.9%
  2. Sciforums should be a Casual site with just a sprinkling of science.

7.4%
  3. Sciforums should just be what it is now.

66.7%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm just asking for all those who want a science site to shit or get off the pot.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

$&^%*)&&*$@^^)(&*%^&#^@&#%(*^)(

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

we have media consolidation, govt approved press releases blah blah
    now more than ever we rely on the internet for independence of opinion and unfettered voices. blogs and forums currently meet this need

there have been posts by several of our members on par with the output of the more prominent journals and newspapers. dumbfucksci however prefers the national inquirer

you will find that in an era of increasing censorship, it is this medium that has a chance of prevailing. you fuckers dont see that. you see only the trolls and one liners cos it makes you feel good. you justify your modships by the crap on sci. it characterizes your fucking existence

you ignore value and emphasize crap
    your duties are approached with negative attitudes and punitive measures
    you then allow the results to define the whole of the experience

why?
    dumbfucksci!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm glad we see eye to eye on this matter.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Gustav Banned Banned

ohhh, you so clever

9. peta9 Registered Senior Member

i just made a post in world events, history and posed a question in astronomy. See? i am a learner. i dunno nothing much. is that good enough for ya?

geez, can i please have my boytoy thread now? it's cultural enrichment and enlightening current events from the far east.

thank you

10. original sine Registered Senior Member

My sentiments clearly expressed by another.

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I act as a mod on another (somewhat busy) forum - no prizes for guessing what it deals with - I guess you could call it a more tightly knit one.
    what it has that this site doesn't -

1. the parameters for discussion (not just in terms of topics, but also etiquette eg -bad language) come from briefing the mods, not the guests (there are no posted "forum rules" ("section C 3.15: swear words and ad homs will not be tolerated and furthermore .....") - rather the standard of the material submitted clearly suggests what is acceptable
    2. chat link available for guests to mods to enable clear communications in case of misunderstandings/further queries
    3. understanding that mods are representing something greater than themselves (ie the mods are representing the site) and that guests must fit in with guidelines of behavior or face temporary or permanent bans (it is considered unprofessional for one mod to argue with another mod - at least publicly)
    4. all mods are given a questionnaire to test their knowledge base and also how they handle difficult/controversial/obnoxious issues (don't know if they do that here, but it doesn't seem like it)

The tight focus is definitely restrictive (particularly for mods) , but thats the price you pay for focused discussion.

If sciforums wants to take a similar path towards focused discussions, I think what it first requires is a consensus amongst the mods because they are ultimately the persons who form the "image" of a site. Simply axing a few sub forums or "problem case posters" is only a short term solution unless there is a framework of policy/vision to properly guide things.

Personally I hope sciforums doesn't take such a path - the focus of sciforums is loose, but that is because what ever it has in the form of cohesiveness is powered by its informality. In short (despite the best hopes of liberals), informality doesn't foster focus of discussion (at least amongst opposing parties) - and tampering with that informality will radically change the persona of sciforums

I don't know how a balance can be struck between these two extremes

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  12. Frud11 Banned Banned

Leadership (the modern, Western ideal), is the idea of imposing: control, censorship, punitive and proscriptive "powers".
    It's a crock.

Eastern leadership is quite a different notion; but East/West notions collided thousands of years ago, and we're still watching the mushroom cloud. Or the mushrooms growing in all the shit, that's about the only useful thing been produced.

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

what is an example of eastern leadership?
    I find the notion of a force implementing control that doesn't have recourse to punishment/punitive measures difficult to reference.

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Eastern culture has a far more rigorous class system. Thus, much order is imposed from the bottom up rather than the top down.

There's far more flexibility in western culture than east.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Depends on how you view it. Westerners have always treated Asian, Arabian and African countries as subhuman.

Just look at the genocidal population replacement as an example.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

That's only because we're evil.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Also to consider is that English society did have a pretty rigid class structure at one point and likely still has one to some extent.

That's part of the reason why India and England got along so well together.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They did steal snakes and ladders from us. *grumble grumble*

We had a much cooler name for it. Vaikuntapaali

Besides didn't all European society have the same class system, albeit of a more tribal fashion? I suppose the Nordics being more racially homogenous missed out on the differences due to physical characteristics stuff, though they appear to be catching up now with multicultural adoptees.

19. Frud11 Banned Banned

"A force implementing control", is indeed a notion that has a quite different meaning in Eastern philosophy.
    Your difficulty might be due to your being steeped in Western philosophical notions, which see punishment and control as the same. There's a definite clash of cultures, or ideas.
    Maybe someone from the East can explain the ideas of Eastern "leadership", or influence?
    (I'm unfortunately very much a Western kind of thinker, darn it)

P.S. should have mentioned that Eastern leaders have been (and still are) just as dogmatic, proscriptive and punitive, of those who didn't bow down, as Westerners are. The Persians e.g. (Cyrus, Xerxes), were pretty merciless in that regard.

What I'm talking about is the different approach taken by the likes of "gurus", and so on -religious teachers often ended up (still do) in positions of influence. I think the difference is that Eastern ideas don't see leadership as some station above, or more privileged, necessarily, than the ordinary people they are leading. Rather there's an emphasis on the relationship, and understanding the idea of surrendering--not one's freedom or fealty--but attachment to such things. Maybe.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Probably because no such thing exists...east or west.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

you are a mole and you have surfaced

/fetches shovel