Sciforums Fleet

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Thor, May 19, 2004.

1. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Message from Captain Dreamwalker:

It is all right with me if you want to spread the information about this glorious fleet.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Captains Log
    Stardate 5.23.04

The SSS Wayfarer has discovered a
    planet with an obviously advanced species.
    As of yet this species seems to lack deep
    space travel. Their current level of
    technology is not yet fully know.
    Still gathering information on it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

All in favor say aye. AYE!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Sure, if you want...

Stardate 5.23.04
    Captain's Log

After pondering the results of our previous experiment, our researchers believe they have uncovered the faulty application of temporal inversion. I don't profess to understand the full implications of what they are telling me, but it has something to do with applying a temporal inversion field to a mass containing brownian motion causes eddies in the space-time continuum washing up space-time flotsam and jetsam. The size of the brownian mass has directly proportional effects to the phase-shift in the washed up debris. We are enroute to the water world, Aqua Vitae, a planet composed entirely of liquid water with absolutely no solid mass in it's makeup. We will attempt to create a temporal inversion field completely encompassing this world and see what comes out. Some would call this a reckless action, but to hell with them. No pain, no gain. We should arrive in three hours and the tests will begin immediately upon arrival.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Attn to orders: SSS World Wanderer

Proceed to Aqua Vitae with all speed. Maintain minimum safe distance at Battle Condition Delta. Stand by weapons systems for emergency response.

Attached: planetary targeting codes, planet-buster unlock codes.

8. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

I call the Death Star.

9. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Message from SSS.Closed Timelike Curve
    Thank you for rescuing my crew; now that we have fully restocked our stores we would like to express our intention of joining the Wayfarer in observation of this new civilisation.
    Where did you say it was?

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No, where is it btw?

11. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I shall tell ye when it's presentable. It's one of those template sites but I'll hopefully make a shockwave version (I'm good with shockwave) and put that onto my webspace.

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Stardate 5.24.04
    SSS Percipience
    Captain's Log

We have arrived at the planet Aqua Vitae on schedule. Nothing interesting to note about the journey. The researchers have been frantically working on the inversion device and are now satisfied that it will work on a planet size object. Sensor scans indicate that the SSS World Wanderer is on an intercept course, presumably for backup purposes in case of some catastrophic eventuality of our experiment. The scans have also indicated another ship, the Rainbow Queen, a ship from the hippie planet of Cannabis D, has already arrived at Aqua Vitae and has set up a cordon of protesting hippies about the world. We have sent a communique to Fleet Command to determine whether we have permission to eradicate this hippie scourge. The World Wanderer should be rather helpful in this endeavor should permission be granted, and I have no doubt that it will as Fleet command has no great love for the dirty, smelly hippies that infest our universe. It is said by some that they are a greater danger to us all than even the Scerlag menace.

Some of our more zealous researchers recommend capturing the hippies alive in order to use them as test subjects for various experiments. I am divided on this decision. Part of me cannot deny the advancements we could achieve, but another part of me doesn't want their hippie stink anywhere near my ship. I will await communication from Fleet Command and correspondence with the Captain of the World Wanderer before I make my final decision.

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

update SSS Queen of Mayhem

New Orders for SSS Queen of Mayhem from high command

- Admiral Spuriousmonkey - delay outfitting the Queen of Mayhem - Proceed ASAP to the planet Aqua Vitae and support the SSS World Wanderer and SSS Percipience in any way possible, and be prepared to scorch the surface of the planet to set an example if so requested - The Hippie thread has been underestimated - Proceed with caution - end of message

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

update SSS Queen of Mayhem
    arrival at Aqua Vitae

The Queen of Mayhem arrived promptly at the system of planet aqua vitae. A line of communication was set up with the SSS Percipience. The situation seems to be getting out of hand. Several times small Hippie warships have come within the saftey perimeter of the SSS Percipience. Only warning shots were fired.

Soon afterwards a Hippie delegation requested to come aboard the SSS Queen of Mayhem. The request was denied. Admiral Spuriousmonkey felt that the Hippies wanted to sow deceit and confusion among the two starfleet ships. He pointed out kindly but firmly that the commander of the SSS percipience was in charge, even though admiral spuriousmonkey obviously outranked captain(?) Invert Nexus and the SSS Queen of Mayhem was clearly the larger and more dominating battleship.
    Admiral spuriousmonkey ordered the Multi-phased Antimatter Plasma Beam cannon (MAPB cannon for short) to be aligned with aqua vitae and the hippie blockade.
    We are still eagerly anticipating the arrival of the SSS World Wanderer.

Captain Invert nexus requested if permission was granted to eliminate the Hippie fraction. Admiral spuriousmonkey answered that he had no such orders, unfortunately.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

We have received no word from Fleet Command. The hippies are becoming more and more aggressive as we just wait here like a sitting duck. My science officer has informed me that all communications are being blocked by a hippie stink field. Since I am unable to receive confirmation from FC then I must make the decision myself.

Shields up. Charge the weapons array. We're going in. I have decided to take no prisoners. My distaste for taking any hippies on board far outweighs any possible benefits.

The battle goes well. The Queen of Mayhem easily dispatches the larger vessels. My smaller ship flits about destroying the smaller ships. It is a rout. The hippies flee. Their tails between their legs. Cheers from the crew.

Strangely, the World Wanderer does nothing during all this. It is possible that they have been infiltrated by hippies. My best wishes goes out to the crew.

With the threat eliminated, the experiment can begin. The temporal inversion device is activated and a dim shape begins to form within the planet. Turbulent waves crisscross the globe as the figure stirs. As it emerges, I am temporarily struck dumb with amazement. Could it be... It can't be... How can this be...

A monstrous, world-size Jerry Garcia emerges from waves. He appears angry as his joint is thoroughly soaked and no longer feeds his immense appetite for self-gratification. He roars a silent roar (in space no one can hear you scream) and reaches out to grab my ship. He attempts to relight his joint with our engines.

My science officer offers an explanation for how this might have happened. It seems that the hippie stink has permeated the world and channeled the form of Jer Bear. The hippie fleet has taken notice and have begun to return. They shower Jerry with gifts of marijuana and doughnuts.

What have I done?

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Update SSS Queen of Mayhem

strange things going on

The communications with the SSS percipience are becoming more and more weird. They signal to the SSS World Wanderer to attack. The SSS world wanderer has not arrived in the system yet. Reports are flooding in now that the SSS percipience has launched an attack. But its attack and flight are highly erratic. Something very strange is going on indeed. I ordered some supporting fire to take care of the larger vessels since the Damn Hippies are now returning fire. Captain Invert Nexus' communications are gibberish from this point on. My senior science officer reports an enormous energy source from the planet. He speculates that it projects some kind of forcefield. Although I threaten my science officer with death he cannot give me an answer to what kind of force field we are dealing with. The men on the bridge look strange at me. I feel foam forming around my mouth as I start ordering them to be executed.

My second officer shoots a tranquilizer dart in my butt and orders the SSS Queen of Mayhem to retreat within safe distance from the effects of the force field.

When I awaken my medical officer tells me that he Hippies have managed to build a hallucigenic force field (sorry, I did it again nexus) of incredible power. The SSS Percipience was caught right in the middle.

I looked at the tactical display and felt hopeless. Smaller Hippie vessels were already attached to the SSS percipience. We were out of range to use the planet busting MAPB cannon.

I had to do something. Lives were at stake.

'Take us in at 0.5 lightspeed', I ordered.

'But admiral, that is madness, nobody goes that fast near a planet! We can't even use our cannon at that speed!'

'You have your orders', I replied.

We buzzed by the planet Aqua Vitae at exaclty .50011 lightspeed. I had no intention of using my cannon. The gravitational shockwave tore at the fabric of space. I assumed that the rather modern engine of the SSS percipience could handle the shockwave. However, the outdated spaceships of the damned Hippies could not. A multitude of bright explosions marked the space surrounding Aqua Vitae as ship by ship imploded.

The gravitational shockwave tore of the surface of the planet eliminating the Force Field projector. I ordered to turn around the ship to help the SSS percipience to clean up the mess and offer assistance.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

(aww, man. What, a giant Jerry Garcia isn't scifi enough for you?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'll let it go this time. I thought it was a rather funny idea. It's true that it breaks several laws of science, but no more than Douglas Adams did a few times. I hadn't even got to his method of propulsion yet...)

18. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

As the World Wanderer is designed more for stealth than speed, we arrive late to the situation. Due to the activation of the inverse field, I hold my ship at the safety distance.

Targeting malfunctions, due to the inverse field, require sensors to be realigned, delaying us entering the fray. By the time we get our missiles, the only weapons with enough range, online, the crisis was over. We clear out the remaining Hippie vessels while the Queen of Mayhem assists the Percipience.

Following that duty, orders come in to scout the Oulands to discover the location of the pirates' hiding places so that the main forces can eliminate these tumors, allowing commerce to proceed with whomever the Wayfarer discovers.

19. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I swear I replied to this...

anyway...the extremely poor site is up. It just catergorizes each piece of information into sections.

www.sciforumsfleet.8k.com

20. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Cool. Perhaps some classification?

From smallest to largest:
    gunboat
    corvette
    destroyer
    frigate
    cruiser
    battlecruiser
    battleship
    dreadnaught
    monitor
    juggernaut
    battle-platform

21. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Okay, if everyone would kindly give me your ships classification I will put them in the (poorly created) site

22. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I suppose the Wayfarer is closest to a gunboat.

Funny site that is Thor

23. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

In what way?