sciforums '06

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Porfiry, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

Hey guys, I've posted a <a href="http://www.dropcash.com/campaign/porfiry/sciforums_06/">campaign</a> to help raise funding for sciforum's hosting bills and keep this great site alive in 2006. Luckily the costs aren't too crazy - we're able to get by on about $90 a month. Nonetheless, every little bit helps!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thanks! David.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Hey Porfiry, I don't do anything money-related on the internet, but if you will PM or e-mail me an address, I will send you a money order, if that is something you want to do.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

i want to donate too and i am in the same boat as cottontop

edit
    my 4000th post

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Congrats leopold!
    Yes, I will donate something later.

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

google ads are out, but why not other ads? surely there is some site that you can get adds from. didn't there used to be some atheist ads? were they google ads? anyway, I will donate a bit now, then more later. I am a broke at the moment.

9. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Please, no ads. Please. With sugar and a cherry on top.

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I'm broke at the moment, but will donate something next month.

11. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

did you really mind the banner at the top that much? I am not talking popups, just a banner at the top and maybe one at the bottom of the first post. (like it used to be) I didn't really mind it, they didn't get in the way.

12. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

I hate any and all ads. They are a waste of money, time, and human effort, and they give the greedy assholes of the world something to do. I really don't understand why more people aren't bothered by them.

13. vslayer Registered Senior Member

well ive got about $50 to donate at the moment, and a mate owes me $70ish, so when i get payed back ill chuck a hundred the sites way just to make it even.

im in the same boat as cotton and leopold though, i cant get a credit card until im 18, but ill happily do a direct credit if you PM me the account number. i suppose i could send it by regular mail too, but that would mean going and converting it to aussie $$ which is a bit much effort at the moment, since i need to get a weekday off in order to go to the bank during their ridiculaus business hours.

14. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

so what? if some idiot wants to pay us to put a banner on, why not? you don't have to click it, you don't have to look at it, and it only adds about 5 lines worth of space to the first post of the thread. thats a small price to pay for sciforums. we would likely still need to donate, but it would be less.

hey profry, how much did adds pay before google pulled them?

15. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

For me, I don't like them. I don't like the people that make it their life's-work to make them. I don't like what they represent, in our society. I don't like what they have done to our society. I don't like the part of our society, read human society, that sees nothing wrong with them.

I don't have to like them, either.
    Tell me another lie, daddy. C'mon.
    Yet, the long-term repercussions can be deadly.
    Not in my book.
    Now I have to tolerate them and pay? Nice.

Enough for all of our souls, or that part of humanity that you might refer to as our soul?

16. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

you are being over dramatic.

what if donations don't bring enough? would you rather see sciforums close, or a few banners? I choose the latter.

17. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

That's one months hosting done. I will donate soon...now actually. £5, which in in American monies amounts to $8.74

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Just install the Adblock and FiltersetG Mozilla Firefox extensions and all the ads will be gone,
    you won't see them in 96% and when you do, just add their source to your blocklist.
    He once said that he could pay for the hosting and buy two beers for it.

As for me - I'm broke (as usual) and don't have anything to donate.
    And PayPal doesn't work in my country, so there's no use setting up a money order that will cost more than the 8$ I can allow myself to donate atm.

19. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

I use Adblock only, currently, but I still see quite a few adds at most other sites. That is one of the reasons I like sciforums so much. NO adds. I'll try the FiltersetG Mozilla Firefox extensions. Any downside to using them?

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

21. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Thanks Avatar. Works great.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Put in my share. 100 bones. (Feel guilty for not having the dough last time around.)
    So. Come on. Pay up, suckers.
    900 bucks to go.
    Save the fucking forums or die. (Cottontop and I will come to your house and.... Muaha!!)

Donations will work. 1100 bucks ain't nothing.
    Although, I am wondering if there's a time frame involved.

By the way. I'd like to make the comment that the forums have ran rather smoothly since the last money drive. I think I may have seen one or two database crashes in that time. But that's all.

Thank you for keeping the site going, Porfiry. Even though it's a bit of a cesspool sometimes...

23. Roman Banned Banned

Ooh, double-teamed by burly bearded men, for free!