sciforum seti crunchers

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, Feb 18, 2002.

1. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

You can choose between the option to run SETI only when your screensaver is on, but u can also choose to run SETI always.

To crunch more WU's at the same time I suggest u download SETIdriver.
    with that program u can buffer WU (in case the server of seti is down) and u can crunch more than one WU's at the same time.

this program allows u to completely control your crunching, it's great! with that, everything u asked is possible.

happy crunching!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Setispy and setidriver have the option to use a cache in which you can cache WU's. You have to crunch them, however, one at the time.

It is a good program when the server from Berkeley is down and you can process another WU immediately after the former one. It is not possible to make more WU's at the same time on one and the same computer.

Then you need more pc's to crunch them on.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bachus Registered Senior Member

So i too have become a memeber of sciforums seti crunching team. Starting with unit 1 right now (hopefully my comp is quick enough to crunch them quickly)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to sciforum seti crunchers, Bachus and Grey Seal.

You will find that the combination on seti spy and setidriver to be faster than the ordinary screen saver for seti@home. It seems that a lot of memory and speed is used in the displaying of the screen saver.

Sometimes you will find that the Berkley server, where you get your Wu's from will be down. You may use this site to obtain WU's by permission of its owner, which has been granted to sciforums. It is called a SETIQUEUE. Yes, your WUs will be accredited to your account as it is a seti recognised and sponsered program.

8. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

I do not want to be stubborn, but u really can crunch more WU's at one time. it doesn't have any benefit, cause it'll go slower, but it is possible with SETIDriver.

In the main screen of Seti driver, on the left top, you can set two things: Desired cache size AND maximum processes.
    Set maximum processes at 2, and you'll be crunching two WU's.

maybe it only works with the command-line version, that is possible.
    You should use the command-line version annyway, it is much faster: my crunchtime used to be about 16 hours, and is now 12.5 with the commandline version!

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

That is true KneD. Seems not very logical though. Given that it goes slower, you can as well make one WU at the time.

I use the command line too and make WU's at a average time from 8 and a half hours per WU.

10. Bachus Registered Senior Member

I am number 122 but it does not show my name on the teampage

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I did notice that. Discuss this with Porfiry and see if he can delete the entry so that you might register or prehaps he may be able to enter your name for you.

12. MFrobotH43D Registered Member

Sweet! I'm number 24. I think I brought all my units (253) that I crunched a few years ago.

My machine is a lot better now, so It's going much faster than it used to. I love SETI at home!

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to the sciforumsseti team, MFrobotH43D.

Welcome to sciforums also.

14. Enigma Registered Senior Member

woo hoo!! i hit 100 units today!! not bad for only 4 months of crunching!!

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Congradulations, Enigma. Keep up the good work.

16. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

Well i just joined up. I was wondering though what the point of having these teams is. Just freindly competition between groups or does sciforums get something out of it?

Don't get me wrong im happy to support sciforums and seti any way i can, i'm just curious.

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Beyond the recognition of a team effort there is no "prize" to be won. Unless of course you discover the latest "WoW" signal. Should that occur you will be famous.

There is of course the possibility that you will discover the alien civilization that everyone is seeking.

Many do it as a status thing. It has reached a near cult type of position in many parts of the world.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have a question about SetiQue
    what do you put in QueServer settings - do I have to put in an ip of some seti server or what?
    setique just doesn't seem to work for me

19. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Set the "http proxy" to be the IP address and port # of the SetiQueue system. If you are using the default settings the port number is 5517.

That should help you some...

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

just one more stupid question: what is the IP of the SetiQueue system?
    don't see it anywhere really

maybe I should take a look again

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

IP's are individual to each site. Each ip is a computer address. Check in the about or the information on the site for the ip address for the site you wish to use.

22. Variable Registered Member

Just joined the sciforums team. Maybe this is a fluke, but I seem to have the fastest average workunit time? :bugeye: Most of those were done on an Athlon Tbird 1ghz. It's possible Seti was sending me some crazy WU's too.

Of course, most of those WU's were done in Linux, and not Windoze

~V~

23. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You seem to be doing quite well, Variable. Keep up the good work.