Scifi/Fantasy Book You'd like to be turned into a movie

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 28, 2002.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Hitchhikers Guide should be turned into an animated series, computer animated, I say.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

Actually there was a mini-series of the first two books. It was pretty good.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Well, okay then.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any talk of a cinematic Narnia movie, what with the success of LOTR...

Also, I wonder if they'll take advantage of Tolkienmania and make a Hobbit movie with cast members and visual effects from the Ring Cycle films. It would be pretty sweet.

8. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

WHat I'd like to see is an author getting into writing the script and being on the scene helping with the directing. That would probably produce the best conversion.

You know they made a Dragonriders of Pern computer game?

9. Mech_The_Muon No, not Moron you twit! Registered Senior Member

I agree. Honor Harrington is one of the better book series out there. I don't think you could start the movies off with Basilisk Station, but the series has everything you need: a great plot, lots of character devolpment, believable setting, and it doesn't drag. AND AN INTERGALACTIC WAR!!!! WOO HOOOO!!! Space war movies are great

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(well, except for the bad ones

)

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Mech The Moun that is so awesome that you know who she is! I rarely run into people who know what the books are about!

11. Mech_The_Muon No, not Moron you twit! Registered Senior Member

I've got the entire series, and it is definatly one of the best one's I've ever read. And I read alot. Ask Neutrino. You could ask anyone who knows me, but Neutrino is the only one on here that does

12. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

Ya ill back that up. The thing that suprizes me is you didnt suggest the battletech series.

13. Mech_The_Muon No, not Moron you twit! Registered Senior Member

Speaking of which: I'd REALLY like to see a mechwarrior movie!! I really like that series of books as well. I have almost all of the Battletech books, and all the Mechwarrior games except Mechwarrior 1 (why do you think my handle is Mech

). See, ya shouldn't have opened your big mouth Neutrino

Oh, and a Dark Angel movie. I liked that show. Dang Fox and Sci-fi!! Now the only shows I watch are Andromeda and Mutant X, both on WGN. argh!!

14. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Well let's see if she knows these(if so, cool!), some of which by the way, would probably make good movies.

*Robert Asprin(the Myth Series)
    *Christopher Rowley(Bazil Broketail)
    *David Eddings
    *Elizibeth Moon(Paksinarion)
    *Alan Dean Foster(the Flinx and Commonwealth books)
    *The Hero and the Crown(Can't remember the author)

15. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

The various Man-Kzin Wars.

16. Mech_The_Muon No, not Moron you twit! Registered Senior Member

I'm a HE dang it!!

The Myth series was ok, but I still like Honor Harrington. Sorry, don't know the other ones

17. druiaghtagh Registered Senior Member

Foundation series

How about filming (depending on how they turned out ) the several Asimov books in thr Foundation series?

18. AlkalineMidnight Registered Member

The Inferno

This may not be a sci-fi or fantasy book really but I would love to see Dante's the Inferno turned into a movie.

19. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

Bewildered!!!???!!!

I am astonished that no one has mentioned the best Science Fiction writing of all time, S.Donaldson's the "GAP" series.

It is almost written in anticipation of a screen play.

I speculate that this omission is attributable to the juvenility of the average poster (one who posts) here; an innocence and inexperience that is not too far removed from the days of reading comic books (one poster even suggested that a literary work of Science Fiction be turned into a cartoon, although that poster called it 'anime' as if to give this genre of cartoon special artistic stature).

The problem with a movie enterprise of the 'Gap' series is that it would need to be rated "R" (those who have read the book know what I mean) and the SciFi movie fan-base (teenage boys) would be precluded from seeing the film thereby threatening its financial success.

It'll never be done, of course, but, if done right, could also be the greatest SciFi movie of all time.

20. barsoom Registered Member

Flinx and Pip

I definitely could get behind a Flinx series of movies. When I was first dating the woman who would later be my wife, I once (very foolishly) said, "I don't think I could ever marry a woman who couldn't read 'The Tar-Aym Krang' and love it." Of course she hasn't read it yet and we've been married 22 years.

About 15 years ago, a neighbour of mine told me he was writing a screenplay based on "Nor Crystal Tears" and we have long since lost touch. I wonder what ever became of it.

barsoom

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Alan Dean Foster: YES YES YES!

Yes, Gifted and Barsoom, virtually anything by Alan Dean Foster is a natural for transcription to the screen. I would love to see the Spellsinger series and Midworld, but some of his outrageous one-off stories like Quozl or Glory Lane would be fabulous. As you say:
    Absolutely. Most sci-fi is way too cerebral. Not that that’s a bad thing, but it doesn’t translate to a visual medium. Just look at how thin the science is behind most of the successful cinema and video SF. Star Trek, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Farscape, StarGate SG-1, etc. They get back to that original “sense of wonder” that early SF strove for, rather than trying to explain Warp/Starburst/Slipstream drive to the satisfaction of someone with a PhD in physics.

Nobody writes with such vivid visual imagery as Foster. His stuff is as ripe for the screen as Lord of the Rings. And it will require just as much computer trickery. It couldn’t have been done ten years ago.
    Sure, I just finished Reunion. Every page is full of rich visual detail.
    Larry Niven’s stuff is also very visual. I’d love to see a Pierson’s Puppeteer, or any day on Ringworld. As for liberals, they’re getting pretty difficult to distinguish from conservatives with their convergence on key issues like censorship and government control of everything from education and charity to energy and communication. Fallen Angels would piss off everyone except us Libertarians.

Since everyone seems to like disaster movies, how about Niven and Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer?
    Yes, Czech author Karel Capek (I can't get the upside-down circumflex over the C in this damn character set) coined the word from the Czech verb “to work”. Anyone who’s studied Russian will recognize it as a cognate of Russian rabotat’. When it was translated into English, for reasons I’ve never been able to learn, they retained the Czech word instead of just translating it as “worker” or something like that. As far as I know robot is the only English word whose origin is credited to the language of my ancestors.
    When my wife was working on her M.A. in English she took a course in children’s literature and asked if I could recommend any SF that would fit the program. I suggested Midworld, which was quite a stretch, but I knew that if I had read it as a child it would have made a huge impression. To my astonishment she read it, loved it, and agreed with me. Maybe too deep for little kids, but certainly not beyond the reach of a junior high student, much less high school.

In our world it was she who gave me the challenge: read the novel she wrote her thesis on, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I made it through about a hundred pages. It felt like a hundred years.

By the way, our favorite SF/fantasy movie is The Dark Crystal. It was produced by Jim Henson and indeed it’s entirely done with puppetry, but it is about as far removed from Kermit and the Muppets as Tool is from Elvis.

22. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

Wouldn't Work Right But....

An awesome book that I think would be great as a movie is "A Fire Upon the Deep." By Vernor Vinge. I'm not done with it yet,

but it's AWESOME. I love the skroderiders. Of course they're one of the things that would be difficult to adapt to the screen.

This book wouldn't do well as a movie, perhaps a mini-series would work. Plus, the Tine's race would be really hard to show in a movie.

It would be interesting, though, to see a director's depiction of Relay, and "The Beyond."

If you haven't read this yet, I highly suggest getting a copy! It's got stuff for everyone: humor, romance, action, deceit, politics, ect.

READ IT!

Namarie!

~Nivao
    Ghost of Mirkwood

23. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Chronicles of Narnia...i believe it is being turned inot a movie already by Universal studios