Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by w1z4rd, Feb 2, 2007.

1. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

See, you've fallen for pop culture's bullshit, hook, line and sinker. The earth (you know, the big round thing we all live on?) naturally goes through cycles. It warms, it gets colder and it does other funky stuff, like change the way it orbits now and again.

Look at the amount of carbon dioxide that occurs natually - Volcanoes pump out hundreds of tons of co2 and sulphur dioxide a day. On eruption, it's thousands or hundreds and thousands of tons.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Just because the Earth has cycles and produces CO2 does NOT mean we cannot screw up those cycles or cause an over-abundance of CO2.

Does scientific consensus = pop culture? Thats a strange equation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

No, I have a son, and I am going to do my best to give him every opportunity in life. If we cant stop climate change, we can delay it as long as possible so that if we do not figure out a solution, they can.

I am more interested in life surviving tomorrow than exploiting the world today.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I think bovine farts put out far more methane than all human industrial pollution.

8. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

How does methane effect the climate?

9. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Actually, I believe belching is a much bigger culprit. Farting huge quantities of CH4 is just a myth

10. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

It is a greenhouse gas. Like CO2

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

From www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2004230,00.html:

"The AEI is more than just a thinktank, it functions as the Bush administration's intellectual Cosa Nostra. They are White House surrogates in the last throes of their campaign of climate change denial. They lost on the science; they lost on the moral case for action. All they've got left is a suitcase full of cash.

On Monday, another Exxon-funded organisation based in Canada will launch a review in London which casts doubt on the IPCC report. Among its authors are Tad Murty, a former scientist who believes human activity makes no contribution to global warming."

I wonder what this whore got, more than the standard $10,000 plus travel, I bet. I seem to recall his name from when Phillip Moris was paying to prove cigarettes did no harm and relaxed you to reduce risk of heart attacks etc.

12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I am under no illusion that science is an apolitical endeavor---especially research into things like climate change. Research takes money. My point is that you are a whore wether you take money from Exxon or from Greenpeace.

There are scientists who don't buy into the whole global warming hysteria. There are some who completely disbelieve it, and there are some who acknowledge that global warming is occuring but that the current alarmism is misguided and wrong. If a scientist has an opinion contrary to the consensus, is he wrong? (Example: Galileo.) Is that scientist wrong to accept funding from a company like Exxon to preform his research?

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

water vapor is a greenhouse gas too.

14. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You don't really fully understand the issue, do you?

There is virtually nothing, NOTHING, that you can do to even slow down the trend in global warming. In fact, nothing can slow it down ..perhaps for centuries! I don't think that your son will be around when global warming stops!

There is nothing that humans can do at this point to stop or even slow global warming. If you want to help your son, then teach him to adapt to the global changes, not try to fight it (a major losing battle!).

"Tomorrow" is a helluva long time from now! And like I said above, nothing you or anyone can do now will stop or even slow down global warming. Learn to live with it; learn to adapt to it. Ain't nothin' else left to do - whether humans caused it or not.

Baron Max

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, just how many kangaroos do you think it would take? And while the kangaroos were living and farting out the solution, where would humans live and work? ..LOL!

Baron Max

17. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

The irony is not lost on me Baron...the less we tinker about with nature the better it will be...physician heal thyself.

Remember the cane toads...

18. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

...at least people are waking up a bit now....like: "Oh dear, if the planet cannot support human life then the TV will stop working..." or some such nonsense.

If change happens its gonna have to be economic - people have to buy from sustainable sources even if it costs more...capitalism will have to play second fiddle to human continuity.

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Forgive me for saying so, but that's actually a legitimate concern! I mean, think about it ...if the tv don't work, then neither does lots of other things that depend on electric generation and transmission.

No, I think the thing that humans should actually be working on is NOT trying to fight the global warming, but to device methods to live with it. 'Cause it's here to stay ....ain't no one in the know who'll tell you that we can stop it. So ....how do we survive it is the major question now.

How many other such problems in the world have we solved by our own efforts? As humans, we learned to live and work in extremely hostile environments. We complained about the "dust bowl" of the US midwest in the 20's and 30's ...yet that same area is now producing some of the world's best wheat farming. See? We survived and thrived.

Baron Max

20. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

If they came to you with cash because they think you will serve their objectives, then you will be considered a whore if nothing you find is in opposition to their POV, in an area where some things clearly are. For example, working for greenpeace and concluding global warming is only do the man or for Exon and concluding none is due to man.

The "scientist" I called a whore - did exactly that ("man is contributing nothing"). - Clearly the increase in CO2 and CH4 (all those beef industry cows farting

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

etc.) do decrease the rate at which Earth shine IR in their absorption bands leaves Earth.

True scientists can disagree about how large is the fraction of the global warming that man is adding. I tend to think it still a minor part. I also think by their opposition to well done (as in France) nuclear power, Greenpeace is responsible for a large fraction of the global warming due to man.

My main concern is that the fraction that man does add to increase rate of global warming may be sufficient to trigger the decomposition of the methane hydrates. - Then it is possible that Earth will be transformed into a cooler version of Venus. I.e. no liquid oceans on Earth -all H2O on Earth as a very high pressure steam atmosphere, (but no the lead lakes as are found on Venus, because we are too far from the sun for that.)

This risk of a runaway instability is small, IMHO, but real as the amount of methane that can be released is now large* and with man speeding of the natural warming, may come into the atmosphere in a time too short to be removed by low temperature oxidation or dissolved into the oceans.

Thus I think it prudent, in our state of ignorance, to slow the release of CO2 - We may be in the process of making this planet sterile.
    -----------------------------------------
    *The relative amount of free methane that can be released is also higher than any prior thermal oscillation that Earth has had because most of it is a direct product of living organisms and the methane producing biomass of Earth has never been so large before. I.e. not only can it come out of the hydrates into the atmosphere more quickly, but their may be more of it. Some estimates are that there is more energy in methane in these hydrates than all the petroleum man has ever burnt.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007
  21. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

and molecule for molecule a much more effecive one. fortunate with Earth in its current temperature range, it condenses into rain and falls back into the surface again. _this may not always be the case - see last part of my post 37 below starting at: "My main concern..."

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And those same scientists have agreed that nothing we do now will have any affect on the warming trends for centuries! A "slowing" of anything is like pissing onto a roaring conflagration ...sure it "helps", but is it the thing to do?

What we should do is direct our efforts to overcoming the EFFECTS that global warming will have on our cultures. We cna't stop global warming, just like we can stop hurricanes and tornadoes, but we CAN make preparations for the damage that they might do.

Trying to stop global warming is senseless and a wasted effort ...the damage has already been done. Let's worry about and work towards minimizing it's effects on human existence and culture.

Baron Max

23. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Exactly my point Baron - most people won't wake up to climate change until it starts affecting them locally...

Yes lets utilise and invent technology...but survival is a matter of adaptation...

I'm sure some of the original Saharans thought that way too.