Scientists hear a mystery roar coming from deep space

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Dr Mabuse, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Hawking shot to international fame in 1988 with his best-selling book “A Brief History of Time,” which sought to explain to a general audience the most complex aspects of the universe.

He had already been famous in physics circles since the mid-1970s, when he postulated that black holes could eventually evaporate and disappear, emitting radiation as they die.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Tiny black holes may be detonating like time bombs all over our cosmic backyard, according to a story in New Scientist magazine.

The speculative idea, which has not gained widespread support among other scientists, might explain a particular class of short energy bursts observed on Earth.

Gamma-ray bursts are huge releases of energy that can for a few seconds outshine everything else in the universe. They can come from any part of the sky, and astronomers have long assumed they originate at the edges of the universe.

But a handful of the thousands of these bursts last less than 100 milliseconds, according to David Cline and his colleagues of the University of California in Los Angeles. These short gamma-ray bursts seem to come from an area concentrated toward one particular spiral arm of our Milky Way Galaxy, the researchers told the magazine.

Cline suggests they are the detonation of microscopic black holes formed in the Big Bang, which most astronomers believe was the beginning of the universe. If the idea is right, billions and billions of relatively nearby, primordial black holes are just waiting to explode.

Some may exist just beyond the orbit of Pluto, based on the math.

But there is little danger, the researchers say. "One would have to go off closer than the Sun to affect the Earth," Cline said.

Other astronomers expressed caution over the whole idea. Roger Blandford of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena said he was not convinced, but he added that the idea should be testable.

Said Sir Martin Rees of the University of Cambridge: "The idea isn't completely mad."

More About Black Holes: Astronomy News by Topic

This Week in Science & Astronomy: News Briefs

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/black_hole_exploding_011128.html

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Burada Registered Senior Member

It could be the sound of 'Time' being eaten by a Supercolossal Black Hole at the beginning of the universe.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gluon Banned Banned

Except time is non-physical, and non-tangible. It exists purely as an imaginary side to the space triangle.

8. Burada Registered Senior Member

Perhaps you should watch the scifi movie by Stephen King called the 'Langoliers'. If you have the 'Time' that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Langoliers

9. gluon Banned Banned

Oh yes, Dr King, PhD of ... something university of... something else.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Although I believe that the Big Bang Theory is valid, I never liked it.

There was a time when Big Bang, Steady State (aka Continuos Creation), oscillating Bang/Crunch, & matter versus antimatter theories competed.

Steady State was my favorite (I still like it). It was the last to fall as Big Bang evidence accumulated. Steady State claimed that the universe was eternal changing only in local details As stars were formed & went through their life cycles. Its overall properties were the same no matter where you traveled in either space or time. The expansion was fueled by the creation of one neutron every year or so in every cubic meter of space (I do not remember the exact rate & could be way off).

There was a famous quip by Fred Hoyle, the foremost advocate of Steady State & likely the last to give it up. He was asked by a Big Banger to explain the source of all the matter required by Continuous Creation. He replied: “It comes from the same place that you Big Bang boys got it all at once.”

Note that matter keeps disappearing beyond the horizon of the observable universe. The rate of creation was assumed to balance the amount of matter disappearing over the horizon. A bit of space was created with each neutron, causing the expansion. Note that free neutrons decay almost immediately into a proton & an electron, forming a simple hydrogen atom. The rate of neutron creation was too small to be detected, except by a lucky placement of some measuring device. The idea was consistent with the quantum vacuum.

When Quasars were discovered, the Steady State was given a mortal blow: Obviously, the universe was not the same in the distant past. At about the same time as the detection of quasars, the discovery of the CMB provided powerful supporting evidence for the Big Bang.

I forget why the alternating Bang/Crunch lost out to the Big Bang. I think it has always been lurking in the background & has gained some advocates in the past 5-10 years.

There was a brief time when a few people advocated a cosmology based on a universe with approximately equal amounts of matter & antimatter. Some galaxies were composed entirely of antimatter, while others were composed of ordinary matter. Mutual annihilation at the boundaries between opposite-matter regions during the early history of the universe was alleged to have caused the expansion.

Sorry for any typo's or bad grammear: I did not have time to proff read, which I usually do before posting. I am almost late for a duplicate bridge game.

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The 'sound' of dark matter interacting with baryonic matter.
    or, the sound of one hand clapping in the dark.

12. gluon Banned Banned

Nope, that won't do either. The source is electromagnetic in nature, and so dark matter does not interact electromagnetically at all.

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It is said. But we don't know.

14. Burada Registered Senior Member

Let's keep it simple. It's probably God just 'snoring' up a storm.

15. John99 Banned Banned

it's a hurricane.

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Wrong.

17. gluon Banned Banned

How is it. Dark matter doesn't interact with the electromagnetic fluctuations.

18. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

Don't you think if we were able to hear a super nova explosion we would be effects by its pulses.

19. Burada Registered Senior Member

There must be a 'Mother of all Black Holes' still waiting to be discovered out there. Question is, how big is it?

20. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Well, we are being affected by the pulses. That's why we're all posting in this thread now

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

We are speculating that the fluctuations may be the result of interaction of dark matter with normal matter.

22. gluon Banned Banned

So be it, but there is a flaw in this as well.

At least 70% of all matter in the universe takes the form of a dark energy. Then 25% of the lions share is made of dark matter. The remaining percentages make up plasma and then the smallest, baryonic matter. So how could there be on a supergalactic scale be enough baryonic matter to create more sound than all of the emissions contained within spacetime?

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I have absolutely no idea. That's why I called it a speculation.