Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Jan Ardena, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Well it did not really help me because I dont understand what it means if I do what you say.
    I did not realise that Jan.
    I just jumped to that conclusion.
    Silly me.
    Alex

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thank you for your reply.
    And frankly I disagree with the statement sortta in so far as I think folk persecute others because they can and because they are on the other side.. and you can bet in any mob killing folk you will have atheists and theists who probably are just hateful and nasty...
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

I never said they didn't. I did suggest however that history shows being atheistic does not diminish the individual or collective capacity to be competitive in the field of genocide.

I think we have been over this before. Committing all sorts of things in the name of ideology appears to be the tour de force of the industrial modern age. Of course an atheist isn't liable to commit crimes in the name of religion, because they don't ideologically subscribe to such things.

They also say the same thing when they curse their mother in law.

Well I guess that puts Islamic terrorists in a pinch.

I assume you made a typo and meant "atheist".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Problem solved, I guess.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

It is a pity God could not help a little more.
    Clearly this free will idea needs refinement.
    Its a church idea ... a mere excuse for why a loving God does not care.
    Why do folk have to be so intolerant and angry...where does all the hate come from.

Alex

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Your list has little or nothing to do with atheists killing people simply for being theists. The killers you list were not all atheists - certainly not by the standards of the OP of this thread - and as far as one can tell their victims were not selected for their theistic beliefs.

If there is an example buried in that list of some atheists selecting and killing theists simply for being theists, as required, perhaps you might do us the courtesy of pointing to it?

They didn't, mostly. Certainly not in, say, Uganda. And if they had, they would have been looking at registries indicating political allegiance (tribe, church, language, Party, etc) - civic registries of theists don't seem to have been all that common.

9. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Just to be clear, are you arguing that an examination of instances of State Atheism shows no evidence that being a theist was sufficient grounds for being persecuted by an atheist?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Nope. I'm just pointing out that these lists and so forth don't seem to have much bearing on the matter.

Along the way, most of these lists and Wikis and so forth also seem to slide around between religion and theism carelessly - for example, the Chinese State described as "atheist" in operational fact persecuted atheistic religions as diligently as theistic ones, with the target of persecution being not theism per se but organized religious practice. The situation seems confused.

And nowhere do we find the inverted equivalent of things like the Spanish Inquisition, where the ferreting out of concealed states of personal theistic belief was a goal of organized atheistic persecutors.

11. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Ok then

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Do the research.

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Thank you, we are in agreement on that point.

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No it does not. In fact that link specifically states;
    So it is not for personal religious views, but for the power held by religious institutions over the behavior of individuals. IOW, political considerations.

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Just going by recorded history, Jan.

16. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Gee, if only all those countless millions knew all they had to say was "But wait, despite having personal religious views, I have no formal capacity in the administration in the religious institution".

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the correction. It should read atheist. But I am sure there are also theists who feel genuinely guilty after having committed a "sin". I am not attacking the character of theists, I am condemning any actions of theists against apostates in the name of God, much as I condemn all violence both mental or physical by anyone.
    It is why I identify as metaphysical "humanist". The metaphysical part is based on the theory that the universe is fundamentally "mathematical" in essence, which removes the necessity for a sentient and motivated God.
    Trying to keep it real simple as per Occam's Razor.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  18. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

In other breaking news, Atheists do not get their children baptized!
    We might have to request a sticky thread to compile all these revelations.

19. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

In the same manner, there are a host of things one can identify with in the name of God/religion to avoid violence towards other living entities.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Actual quote from wiki link you provided

Your requote of my post

First correct the misquote of my post. Then I welcome your comments.

21. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Unless you also have no problem with contextualizing the antics of the inquisition as merely arising from political differences between nortb and south europe, you are being dishonest.
    If connecting violence to ideology of geography or institution is sufficient to label it political, then suddenly everything is but politics.

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You think that religions do not engage in politics? Why then should we have need for an "establishment clause"?

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Right, I am not baptized and I have not baptized my children. So what?
    Revelation? Of what?
    Some kind of criminal offense? Are you for real?

p.s. I believe circumcision (both male and female) is a criminal offense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.