"Scientism" - religion or philosophy?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by SkinWalker, Jan 15, 2006.

1. duendy Registered Senior Member

NO. not if you limit the evidence of unexplainable phenomena thru your sci-meth. criteria. all that is so convenient and doesn't explore anything in a deep way. it is mechanically bias.
    you for instance deny to us and even to yourselves you may be influenced by a jaterialistic philosophy. this bias obviousoy influences your understanding about unusual phenomena........this is stronlgy exposed in the invective used towards people known nd unknown who report unusual experiences. instead of questioning your questioning you hurl blind insults

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Ok Aunty duendy I will rephrase the question. To investigate someone who has had an experience do you just need to watch and listen to them? Is that enough?

I was talking about empirical evidence in general. Refusing to look at empirical evidence sounds like the equivalent of covering your eyes and screaming la la la la. It does not suprise me that you would say that though.

You imply that the current scientific way to investigate something involves nothing more than just yelling insults then leaving. This is the same type of incorrect generalisation that you complain about duendy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

this is whati have witnessed here. EVIDENCE!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

My point is that simply looking at someone’s body language (and listening) is not even close to being enough. You may be able to sift out some hoaxers this way though.

I asked you several times about a test for telepathy and never really got an answer. You seemed to find the idea of a test for telepathy offensive. This is strange as you admit there are deluded people in the world Do you not want to sift out the deluded people from those with ‘real’ experiences? Does that very idea offend you?

Hypnotherapy has been shown to be unreliable in these situations. Our brain has an ability to change or create memories. I would not rely on it.

Well calling people names does not make you a materialist. There is a lot of name calling from believers too.

My point here was that you seemed to quickly discard skinwalker's comment regarding evidence against hypnotherapy.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  8. duendy Registered Senior Member

i askewd W H O has classed ALL of it bogus? whose thrown the bloody lot outtof the window, baby an all. AND, what have they replaced it with, that will SATISFY their needs. of course they popbs wont give a fukin FIG for the actual abducteee. just teir precious friggin 'evidence'...?