Scientific Mysticism

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

I completely fail to understand why you people continue to argue with this person..... don't you have anything better to do? Like, bang your heads against a wall or something?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Squid (Sid?), we argue in the hopes of showing him a little bit of reality. And because we're also stupid ourselves!

"Peaceful...?
    Theist...?
    Well... I'm saying that if someone starts a war because thinks that his or her religion is the right, but ignore the teachings of his or her religion is or ignorant or... ignorant..."

Ignorant yes. That does not stop the war from being a theistic war. Whether they are wrong on their interputations of their religion or not, they believe they are doing a theistic duty. Therefore, it is a theistic war.

"Theists don't run nations for a loooooooooong time..."

There's the area called the Middle East. A country called, I think, Israel is run by Jews. Oh and there's a couple nations I think one is called (though I may be wrong) Egypt or Saudi Arabia run by Moslems. Oh and America is run by a Christian. You can argue this as much as you want on how these people don't follow religion the way YOU interput it. but YOUR interputation is NOT the only interputation.

And even so, my question remains.......can you name ONE theistic run nation that didn't have a war?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

As much as I hate to say this Tyler... Malaysia. the most peaceful muslim nation I've encountered. Has it's problems with non-native residents, to the extent of non-malays not being allowed to be in government positions among other things, but for all that seems to stay well out of martial affairs. Mind you, that's only one nation out of many.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Tyler,

Not consequence of the Religion itself though... but of those who use it...

I don't know any theistic run nation...:bugeye:

Love,
    Nelson

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Not consequence of the Religion itself though... but of those who use it..."

My point stands. Religion has caused many wars, and most wars have been started/fought by theists. And no war has been the consequence of atheism.

"I don't know any theistic run nation..."

I mean any nation run by a theist.

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

...:bugeye:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Tyler Registered Senior Member

What? Are you considering actually making a reply? Because that would be something new.

12. Xev Registered Senior Member

Nelson, please tell us what wars were a consequence of athiesm. Please don't just indicate disdain, tell us where we are wrong.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Cold war... is it's being discussed in another thread...

14. Tyler Registered Senior Member

How in the lord's name was the Cold War BECAUSE of atheism?

15. Xev Registered Senior Member

Demon pizza caused the cold war.

There's the conversation. As you can see, it is about science, not athiesm, and is demonstrably false.

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Science and atheism goes hand-to-hand... you can't have one without other... besides that, it's not false...:bugeye:

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

"Science and atheism goes hand-to-hand..."

How romantic.

"you can't have one without other... besides that, it's not false..."

But I proved it false, Nelson.

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Science played a rule in the cold war as important as theism in "theist" wars... If there are "theist" wars, for the same reason there are wars fought over atheism...:bugeye:

If you coincider THOSE examples as theist wars you have also to coincider the atheist one, linked with science...:bugeye:

19. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Science was a section of the competition between America and the Soviets. Let me put it this way, there have been wars STARTED because of theist doctrine. The Cold War did not come into existence because of atheism or science. It came into existence because of arrogance, necessity for power and political differences. All things which are part of human nature regardless of a theist or atheist.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The same to your "theist" wars...:bugeye:

21. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Nope.
    Some of the wars started by theists were due to these things, without a doubt. But there were tons that occured because of religious doctrine and differences.

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

?????

Btw... who hi-jacked this thread...? Can we go back to the topic? I guess this discussion in wars have finished looong time ago...:bugeye:

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

"Science played a rule in the cold war as important as theism in "theist" wars... If there are "theist" wars, for the same reason there are wars fought over atheism..."

Technology fueled the Cold War, just as technology fueled every war that ever happened. This does not mean that the Cold War was fought over technology. Religion fueled theistic wars, in addition to science.

As Hef put it: "We're seperated by our myths".

But name one atheist who started a war. None.

So what does that do to your 'athiestic war' theory? Sorry Nelson, you're wrong. There has never been a war fought over athiesm.

Best to admit that and drop the subject.