Science or god?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Hevene, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Christianism is based on Unconditional Love. This is the solution for all problems of the world... "

Christians have claimed to love their enemies for 200 years. Yet did they not launch 9 holy wars?

As for it being the solution, even if it was how do we implement it? Are you going to force everyone to unconditionaly love? Are you going to go about trying to enforce this belief on everyone?

Are you ever going to stop sounding like Hitler and Stalin?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Tyler,

Those were NOT true Christians...
    How many times I'll have to say that...?

Read the Bible... it's WRITTEN there:
    "Love your enemies."

Tyler, if only you realize that you can make the difference in ALL Sciforums... I would be already satisfied...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I seem authoritarian, isn't it...?
    Ok... sorry about seeming a little authoritharian...

But what I'm saying here is:

Love each other!

And not:
    Hate those people!...

I wish you and all lots of Love...

Honestly... in my Heart...

I will hold you dearly in my Heart.

Love,
    Nelson

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Truthseeker,

Do you believe in self-defense?

If an intruder breaks into your home with the intent to kill you and is about to do so unless you shoot him first, what would you do? If you don’t shoot him first then you will surely die, and he is then likely to kill the rest of your family.

If you love everyone then you cannot defend yourself, you must turn the other cheek and let God seek revenge. In which case your whole family will die.

The intruder is clearly evil and killing him first will enable you and your family to survive. Assuming you love your family would you not want to protect them by killing the intruder?

Another example:

You come across a terrorist in a large city and who is about to detonate a nuclear bomb that will kill a million people. The only way to stop him is to kill him. Does your unconditional love extend to the terrorist so that you will allow him to live and let a million other people die?

Cris

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Cris,

This is a hard issue to discuss without bringing my beliefs about the power of Love. I truly believe in the power of Love and clearly exalt it. I have my reasons to believe in It. I can't discuss it rationally though. I'll think about a way to explain my view in a rational manner.

Love,
    Nelson

8. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

truthseeker,

That's fine. Think it through.

9. dhomaila Registered Member

God Works If We Change our Assumptions.

i believe there is a god; but i believe we have collectively missunderstood him/her. the problem with the many debates involving god, science, evolution, morality, religion, etc. is we have never considered wether our definition of god is accurate. more simply put; what if we are were wrong?

i am open to the idea of a less than perfect god. since the perfection of god seems to be the source of conflict with science; why don't we just assume he isn't perfect. we function quite well in a world full of 99.999%. why is it that we need god to be 100%?

for example the moment we assume that god is omniscient we open the floodgates of pre-destination and unpreventable imorality. if god actually knows 100% (all) this would mean our every action is divinely scripted. however if we assume that god does not know everything; he only knows all that can be known (this excludes our future chioces) the conflict is resolved.

this planet has had great leaders that were far less than perfect; so imagine if there abilities were 10 times that of an average person. i believe god is not perfect by the standars of religous man; but he/she is as perfect as any being may become without being in conflict with reason and science.

this is not a view that would be widely accepted by popular belief systems. ironicly this is the only approach that would help them make-up ground in these on going debates. since none of us have actual proof that god exist in the many omni- states; why not just assume that he/she is not perfect. i comfortable with god just being more perfect than i could ever hope to be.

just something to think about.

10. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

THOU

SHALT

NOT

COMMITETH

THREAD

NECROMANCY!

Thus sayeth the PRINCE!

11. Kron Maxwell's demon Registered Senior Member

Read the parts of the Bible that talk about killing your enemies and taking their women and children

12. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

13. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Hevene
    Actually entropy increases in any system regardless of whether or not it is closed. I've heard this argument before. What you really mean is that without an external source of energy the entropy of any systen will cease. I will take a positive view on this issue, think of it as a favor

. The only end or "outlet" of the universe we know today are black holes, nothing escape a black hole. We believe there is a huge black hole in the centre of the universe. Black holes have a jet stream at both ends, this jets create magnetic waves which provides energy into the sorroundings(Ironically, the end of the universe is also responsible for sustaining it in a way). So with examples like this...its possible the universe can sustain itself, but the question is whether this is the hand of God? I believe in God too, there have been many Gods but I have chosen to believe them all, I really hate religious topics because I don't believe I am qualified to answer their beleaguering questions. I would give the same advice to anyone.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  14. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Think about it this way. The scientist invents things to better my life, I usually do not question what they invent but I use it. The spiritualists also betters my life with their believes and blessings, no reason why I should refuse that either. Whatever it is that people want to bring as an idea, as long as it's not going to harm me, I believe. You only live once. Close this thread.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

"Oh my science... *head explodes*" Anyone seen south park? There was an episode with kind of a comical look at this issue.