Science is not God

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Buddha1, Oct 27, 2005.

1. duendy Registered Senior Member

whyyyy of course you do/...yer a spoilt brat.....haha...smiiile

listen. when you see Indigenos peoples now on yer telly in the 21stcentury of free market fascist capitalism, you are seeing thedying gasps of them. they too got te maaaan big style on their case. beLIEVE it!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You clearly lack information. May I suggest a few still indigenous tribes at this present day?
    -> Adi, Babongo, Darhad, Kombai, Sanema, Suri <-

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

All comes and goes, there is nothing wrong with culture, it allows us to expand our abilities.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

What's so spoiled about enjoying the achievements of the many cultures and sciences that are available?

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

no you misunderstood me...i mainly meant crushed and history suppressed in Europe. not manty people know about teir Indegnos past. they certianly dont teach iti schools

and althpugh you meantion the ones you do...one only has to tink of the American Native peoples to understand 'crushed'--reservations and having to lie on top of or near the toxic WASTE/shit of precious whiteys scientific enterprise!!!

9. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Haha "sciencism"
    duendy, is that like "racism" but with science? I see a bit of a persecution theme here.
    Your problem is with people, not science.

By posting on the web you illustrate your voluntary involvement with Western culture and technology.

This mind body problem is a philosophical one, how is it a problem in science?
    http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~ursa/philos/phinow2.htm
    "A basic problem for the identity theory is that although neural activity is spread out in space, the stream of consciousness at any moment is a unity." Bullshit. Who says?

I believe our conciousness might be the connected energy of all our living tissues. Whats the problem?

Szasz has been thoroughly refuted. He is 85 years old. His book is 45 years old. So how can you use him as a reference?
    Plus, he has a picture of him with Tom Cruise. Why should I respect him? Just cause he's old?

I hate my (current) government for a lot of reasons, but mainly because its run by a bunch of conservative liars. Our PM and his team regularly lie to our country about important issues like war, terrorism etc - plus we are now at risk. Just compare them to Bush and his team (who he idolises), but not quite as bad, and no nukes.

10. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Ahh see you think science is right wing, but its not. That depends on people.

Religion and right wing go hand in hand.

Science is forced into capitalism mearly because it has to be.
    I don't know anyone who would misuse science to oppress or crush people or any of that shit. Thats American imperialism.

Your problem is "business" and profit without ethics or moral conscience!

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Consciousness is a process where the brain evaluates incoming (or new) information against the data that has already been stored in it.

That is my definition of it, I find it quite good at describing what a consciousness is.

12. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

But isn't consciousness also our own awareness of our existence and very being?

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

so you can see all of that yet not what me abd Buddha1 etc is goin on with? hmmmmmmyou are gettin there but not quite yet......advice. lose your arrogance, keep your passion to learn

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Our awarness is a process not a state. While in deep sleep you are not aware of your daytime self,
    while dreaming you may not be aware of your physical body and of you as a human living in a particular place and time with a particular social standing,
    but you may be aware of the body you have in dream. For example, I have felt like a deer and a butterfly feeling every inch of my other animal body.
    In the dream I'm aware of my dream character.

So what is self? I think it doesn't exist as a thing in us,
    it's just a process that is the biochemical and electrical reactions in the brain (neurons and the rest), therefore we have different selfs at different times (joung and old, awake and asleep, etc) and psychically ill patiets may have many selfs active at once (not a nice thing to observe really).

15. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

If I won't learn, why am I at uni? I'm not being a snob, but where else should i go to learn? Africa? A church?

The problem is you criticise science - the products of which you're hopelessly dependent on.
    You criticise science when you should be criticising British/American imperialism.

My attitude is why invade other countries? No-one has the right!
    To save them? To change them? Let them save/change themselves.
    To take their resources, people or labour? Thats just wrong - its stealing.
    To give them shit they don't appreciate? Why bother?

Let other cultures be, and while we're at it not interfering with them, fuck letting them come to our countries for a better life, if they can't manage a peaceful society, or take care of their own health crisis (aids/bird flu) then thats their problem.
    If they can't create a democratic, educated, healthy society then who cares?

Let me tell you there's a lot of white folk who now realise that taking slaves from africa was a really, really, stupid decision.

I have huge respect for my grandfather who at the age of 78, in the past 3 years has started learning greek. Respect depends on the person, not their age.
    My disrespect for Szasz was based on what I've read about his "anti-psychiatry" theories and that they are outdated- none of his other ideas.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Cheers to a fellow university student!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

What are you studying man?

I'm doing psychology + neuroscience (I'm in Australia).
    I find it difficult but I love it.

So obviously I get offended when duendy comes and says "theres no such thing as mental illness" that "psychiatry is a scam"

I've got exams in a week. Fuck I've got a lot to remember.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Congrats, it's a very interesting field to study! Neuroscience has always fascinated me, but I didn't take physical sciences, because they require the students to study math there, while my brain is physically unable to cope with any mathematical problems at all (mostly inherited from both parents), while at the same time I'm very good at solving abstract and theoretical problems, therefore I chose to study law at the Latvian University (in Latvia) so I could self-sustain my artistic needs in the future and in my spare time I research world mythologies, cultures, human psychology and partly history (it goes with the rest), while following the newest stuff being discovered in cosmology and partly biology.

Well, he should then go for a tour to a psychiatric clinic then! I've been there doing diagnosis for my judical psychiatry class, I'm not a doctor, but those people are ill (at various stages of course). When I asked a particular man what's the difference between a duck and an airplane, he answered: "a duck doesn't have to be refilled with fuel, but the bullets fly further". You get the picture

19. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

I have to do statistics (because psychology is based on stats and requires it)
    and I fuckin hate statistics. I mean I would rather shovel shit. Oh well.

20. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

The above statement is a dismal effort to paint the questioning of abuse of science as illogical --- when in fact I am using perfectly logical (and hence scientific method) to prove my point. No one has claimed prayers and magic to be a superior method to analyse facts. You are too biased a person to really be able to see what we are discussing here.

Why are you so keen on making out as if this issue is a tussle between religion and science. Can't you see that this world is not really divided between artificial divisions made by westerners? For one it is not divided between those that are with science and those that are with religion.

I don't care for religion, but that doesn't mean I cannot be spiritual (though I admit I know very little about it......but I can feel that it has a lot of potentials --- and no spirituality is not about praying or about God --- that is the Christian way of thinking). And I'm questioning science supreme authority, but that does not mean that I am against logic and reasoning.

And despite my name on this board --- I am not a Buddhist. I have never been to a Budhist temple. But that is the difference between Christianity and Budhhism. Buddha does not belong to a particular sect. He belongs to the entire humanity and his teachings are relevant for the entire world. By the what Buddha preached was spiritual but had immense physical relevance too. He teachings are based on logic not blind faith in an oppressive god like that of Christianity and Islam.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  21. Esoterica Registered Member

Are you monkeys done yet? heh

22. Esoterica Registered Member

Anyone that says Mental Illnesses do not exist is most likely in denial about their own mental illness.

23. duendy Registered Senior Member

hah....thy are most CERTAINALY not outdated but prophetic!.....you ar VERY out of touch.