Science is not God

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Buddha1, Oct 27, 2005.

1. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

no, it doesn't. certain people will apply biology to behavior they deem unnacceptable, but a scientist trained in how to properly research/test a subject won't look at it that way. psychology is the study of the mind, we use its discoveries to help us understand how the mind works. the evidence we find and the research we do because of what we find shows that biological processes (balance of chemicals and structure of the brain) relate to a person's personality. if anything in psychology is known, its this. but there is also the interaction of the electromagnetic field, which hardly anything is known about.

i am not reducing the human being to a chemical structure. there are still many unknown variables lying within the connection between the neuronal structure of the mind, the electricity travelling through it, and the chemicals the mind releases. what is the use in viewing everything as mystical? it only leaves us in ignorance. it only makes us stagnate, and if anything can be learned from the universe its that stagnation leads to death. There is just as much awe in how the mind is revealed to work as there is in any myth you can come up with, perhaps even more. you want to fight against the oppression of mainstream science, yet when i try to open your eyes to real science, you're just as dismissive as the people who shove pills down childrens' throats.

you reveal yourself to be just as hypocritcal and ignorant as the people you call oppressive with these statements. of course we don't understand consciousness in its entirety. we don't understand anything in its entirety and we never will. i don't believe that the human mind, nor any mind, can be reduced to just chemical and electrical interactions, but those interactions are a big part of it. most likely, anything more would be inherent in either those chemical or electrical reactions, rather than some completely different and new system.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Light Registered Senior Member

Huwy, there's no point in arguing with Duendy. She is illogical, unlearned and I suspect there is a much deeper problem behind her refusal of real science, particularly psychology.

I've begun to wonder if it may be that at a younger age she was actually diagnosed with a mental illness. For one thing, she's obviously paranoid and overly obsessed with many things. She's also destroyed a part of her mind with LSD and other hallucinative drugs.

And since her family (and others) have undoubtedly told her she was "crazy", she has rebelled against all professional science.

I could possibly find it in me to feel pity for her, as I do many others, if it were not for the fact that the majority of her problems are self-inflicted.

She will not listen to reason because there IS no reason within her. Facts mean nothing and carry no weight. She clearly - and without reservation - stated once that "everything she knows" came as a result of trips on LSD.

So how can anyone feel pity or remorse for such a fool as that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

no, you are totally not gettin it Avatar. who are you thinkin you are? some very serious minds in science are wondering how subjective consciousness came to be. and here you ar just regurgitating amatuer physicalist ideas. not good enough. could do better.
    we are much more tat just hemcial reaction. sad you feel such a machine. maybe it could explain a few tings..........

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You have no evidence to prove this, or you would have mentioned it in the previous discussions.
    All that you do is say how wrong I am, nothing more,
    but you haven't disproved my definition not by a little.

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

look....watch my type---neither have YOU evidence humans etc are all merely chemical and electrical machines. agreed?

next.....so then we havethe HARD PROBLEM.

now. my mate avatar. what part of the Hard Problem BEING A Hard Problem dont you understand??

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

My definition explains everything about consciousness.
    Not in the smallest detail, it is too short for that, but in general it does and nothing points against it. There is no problem.
    The evidence is that which physics, biology and basic neurology provide.
    There are some questions that remain to be answered though, but they fall well within the definition.
    But this is offtopic, refer to the consciousness thread in the Philosophy section.

10. duendy Registered Senior Member

Laika...i told you i had contacted Dr Fred Baughman about your query. I received his reply earlier on, here it is:

"Progressive dementia, loss of memory, immediate, current more than remote, long-term is the hall-mark of AD. There is no test in life that is confirmatory of AD but at autopsy all have diffuse brain abnormality with that of AD quite specific for that disease. Though AD appears in the DSM it is a neurological disease as are all diseases confirming microscopic abnormalities of the brain--not true of any mental/psychiatric illness." (Dr Fred Baughman, private communication)

11. Light Registered Senior Member

Ho-ho-ho! Nice try, Duendy, but you scored exactly ZERO points on this one!

I'm very much aware of Baughman and his work and - are you ready for this? Sitting down? I'm one among many who agrees with him! His primary focus is on kids and ADHD and ADD and I'm among the first to admit that the kids are FAR over-medicated.

But what you will not hear or see him speak out against are the large number of different types of psychosis - like bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive, paranoia (your own personal condition), multiple-personality disorder, schizophrenia, and all the rest. Why? Because he knows those are true mental disorders. And if he did mention anything about any of them, you conveniently cut it out of what you posted.

So you gained nothing here.

12. duendy Registered Senior Member

Light...first, dont diagnose me you prize clown
    secondly and finally, you haven' a clue what you are talking about, and obviously haven't understood Dr Baughman and what he is about at ALL. so maybe look in the mirror and dont laugh. cry........you clinger on to a dying world view you

13. Light Registered Senior Member

I've got MUCH more of clue (and knowledge) than you've ever had. You are fooling no one but yourself.

14. duendy Registered Senior Member

clown? you cant even compreHEND!....now thats itQ i try and not have too many dealings with trolls who disrupt serious subjects wit empty-arsed BS.

15. Light Registered Senior Member

Ah, yes - and spoken by the Queen of the BS artists!

Deundy, you've probably met few like me. I'm just as paitent as you are dumb and I never give up or give in to foolish people.

16. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

A major drawback of scientific methodology

Selective sampling is a problem rampant in the scientific world and overlooked by the peers in most cases. There are no inbuilt checks in the scientific institution/ methodology to tackle this problem of wrong sampling, and the validity of sampling is dependant totally on the conscience of the researcher.

17. Anomalous Banned Banned

18. Blindman Valued Senior Member

LOL. Come now you must know this is incorrect.

Here is just a small subset.

Random sample
    Systematic sampling
    Cluster sampling
    Statistical practice
    Snowball sampling
    Nonprobability sampling
    Latin hypercube sampling
    Multistage sampling
    Uematsu's Best Selection
    Quota sampling
    Survey sampling
    Median filter
    Stratified sampling
    Feature selection
    Selection bias
    Selection effect
    Ewens's sampling formula
    Quantitative marketing research
    Sensitivity analysis
    Randomization

As always your ignorance does not stop you from making off the cuff remarks.

Science represents our best effort at understanding. You may not like it, but its validity is proven via the technological result of our modern world.