Science is not a perfect institution

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Buddha1, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Now I should mention that I would never joke, make fun of, or humiliate anyone who is suffering from hallucinations.

I admit that was an insensitive thing to say (about the fairies) but it was more referring to the ironic nature of the illness: how it causes some to so strongly belief in their hallucinations and delusions - than making fun of the people suffering from them. I genuinely feel sympathy for these people as it destroys the quality of their lives.

I happen to have a friend who had a really fucked up experience taking LSD and he hasnt been the same since.
    His closest friends told me about how he was suffering and they said they were going to take him to see a doctor and I said that was a good idea.

Hey if people want to hang on to their delusions/hallucinations because it pleases them, and its not causing them or anyone else harm then I say let them keep them, why force them to do things if its not causing any harm, right?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

My BS sense tingles when I read someone saying that a given illness makes someone strongly believe in their alleged hallucinations and delusions. It's not as much BS when you apply this fairly. Most of the population of humans lives in a system of delusion and could also be said to be hallucinating, and they by God believe in their delusions before they will believe a reality that bites them on the ass. This means to me that there is little that is unique about someone who is allegedly mentally ill or who is using hallucinogens. A lot of times it's because the alleged delusion is not the one approved of by the majority. People have been forced into spychiatric drugging because they reported UFO encounters, for crying out loud. They have also been "treated" for believing in ESP, out of body experiences, and in government corruption, and I do mean in the U.S.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

they might BE real. countryfolk beliefed in them not so long ago. thn along comes mr fukoff machine imposing its souless worldview on everyone and everything

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

And I'd say that some people live under an immense 'delusion' that heterosexualty is 'real'. Talk about hallucinations!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

Completelyt fuse with your insights Metaron....i kno i know, the HYPOCRISY of the preevailing mindset which demands 'normalcy' whilst IT continues exterminating people, extincting countelss species, doing all sorts of horrors to one and all, then they turn round and point the finger at others as being delusional....it is VITAL now that we see right thru this game and speak out about it.....the game is MIND-CONTROL, make no mistake. soooo we allow ourselves mind FREEDOM, whic allows us to explore looking thru their sorry brutal suffocating game. if THEY dnt see it that is their problem. we is talkin about it right now

9. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

A lot of human history makes me believe that the working definition of delusional is when a person doesn't believe in the delusions that are popular. The popular delusions about witches and demons were manufactured deliberately to take advantage of people, so we have the fact of deliberate contrivance to take into account.

10. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

"Another problem with science"​

Nature is frugal, and not exuberant.

By that I mean that everything has a purpose (and much to the disappointment of 'heterosexuals' quantity is just a small part of it). Every single thing in nature has a purpose in its scheme of things. If one of its constituents begin to go against it nature will take care of it in due course of time. And this is the case with human brain. Humans think they can conquer nature with their brains, they are wrong. In fact they will themselves --- through their brains ensure their own downfall, ensuring that nature goes on unperturbed.

For some time, foolish humans may start believing that they, through their brains are infallible --- the partial worldview of 'Science' makes them believe that..... but it's only those who have stuck to the broader world-view that has elements of science, spirituality, philosophy, instincts, etc. who have a better perspective on reality and who realise what's going wrong.

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Buddha, are you weighing in against the idea that nature is frugal and not exuberant?

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Once again you show your ignorance of nature and biology. Nature is never in stasis. It is always changing.

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

There is no 'scheme of things' Bhudda. You aren't an IDiot are you?

14. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

The more things change the more they remains the same!

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Do you have any arguments to put forward?

16. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

By the way, I agree that things with Giambatista had become a bit heated up. But then I do understand what he is going through! I think if scientists could understand and empathise with people science would be able to serve humanity better.

In any case, I don't think you should keep a spill over of that 'heat' and use 'harsh' language in your discussions with me. To have a different point of view doesn't make you an 'idiot'.

17. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

O.K., I haven't given this much thought, and I may be wrong......but I think that everything in nature has a purpose. I think this doesn't really mean that it is frugal. But it does not do anything which is without purpose. Which can be taken to mean that it will not do anything which is wasteful (though I agree, its not exactly the same). But then what is a 'waste'? Science, does not have the complete answer and certainly not Darwinism.

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I didn't ask if you were an idiot. I asked if you were an IDiot. i.e. one who subscribes to the principle of Intelligent Design.

19. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Oh!

20. Buddha1 Registered Senior Member

Sorry, there are so many things being discussed at the same time. What do you want arguments for?

21. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

That depends. If the fruits of their experience cannot be seen or detected by others, like that pink spider sitting on the ceiling above you, then it is likely to be a hallucination. As for different world views of "reality", I subscribe to a lilmited view of science as covering what can be measured physcially. You cant measure values, so world views, being dependent upon values, are not totally susceptible to science. But you can use the scientific method to work out what the effects of some of your world view can be. For example, if I believe that a welfare state should be part of a civilised society, by virtue of what I read in the Bible/ or worked out for myself or something like that, then I can use the evidence showing that European countries have somewhat less poverty etc than the uSA, partly because of the welfare state. Of course, our enemies the free marketeers, randroids and market worshippers value individual freedom in the absolute abstract, and thus have no place for a welfare state. And by comparison, countries without elfare states are often also places where "might equals right".

22. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Anyway, Duendy, I maintain there is a pink spider sitting on the ceiling above your computer. Its only about a foot across. Cant you see it? It doesnt eat humans, you'll be OK.

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Are you sure they are safe? There is one here too. It's more a light purple than a pink. It is the same kind, right? Do they bite? Where do they come from? Could it be from the UFO that just landed in my field?