Science Fiction Recommendations

Discussion in 'Sci Reviews' started by Apoloto, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

This one Sartorius Mons has an intriguing premise and is fun to read, if a little over the top.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

A very good AI movie : Ex Machina

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Really? The only thing good about it was the better movie it could have been.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Fortunately for those involved in the film, the weight of serious criticism doesn't agree with you.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Reviews
    Ex Machina
    Matt Zoller Seitz April 09, 2015
    https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ex-machina-2015

9. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I hated it. Simone was fun.

10. Vociferous Valued Senior Member

Ex Machina would have been much better if Gleeson's character ended up as the AI being tested. Machine uprising has been done to death.

11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Just finished watching Netflix reasonably new series SPACE FORCE with Steve Carell

As per the reviews not funny and I resent Steve Carell pretending he produced THE OFFICE

THE OFFICE (UK) was / is a masterpiece by Ricky Gervais (not exactly my style of a comedy) completely stuffed up by Steve Carell

Best joke - S01 Ep09 towards the end

To make it a winner US should stop producing SPACE FORCE and hand it over to Ricky Gervais. Compensation for stuffing up THE OFFICE

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

As far as sci-fi films go, I'd recommend A Quiet Place, starring Emily Blunt. A Quiet Place II is out now in theaters (also on Amazon Prime for new releases) which I have yet to watch, but planning on it, soon. There's something about the film though that I didn't like; there was a predictability about it perhaps, but the tension/suspense is very good. Imagine having to live the rest of your life in complete and utter silence, in order to stay alive. I'd say it borders on horror, so be prepared for some jump scares.

13. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

It's not out, yet, and it may even be rubbish (I highly doubt it, though), but I am going to recommend "Dune"... only so that more people go to the box-office to watch it, and thereby ensure that the 2nd half is made - which bizarrely isn't yet guaranteed!!!

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yessssss, finally,The Foundation Trilogy by Asimov has been made into a series.
    Foundation | Apple TV+ - Now streaming
    Ad·https://www.apple.com/

Based on the novels by Isaac Asimov. Now streaming on Apple TV+. Follow the exiles on their journey to save humanity amid the fall of the Galactic Empire. New Originals every month. Access on Apple devices. Find on smart TVs. Ad-free and on demand.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I've just started watching the HBO series The Last of Us, and it's pretty good so far, but a cross between sci-fi and horror. The cosmetic creations of the monsters are next level incredible (frightening), and the plot is a decent twist on what life is like in 2023 for a small group of survivors, after a deadly disease runs rampant across the globe. I'm wondering if space aliens are involved, because the disease sounds other worldly.

It's pretty violent, anxiety-ridden, stress-inducing, and quite depressing, but it seems fitting considering the circumstances. The only thing that bugs me is no one is carrying a water bottle or thermos of water or anything. That's not realistic. You'd die of dehydration, if anything, but I guess we're not supposed to notice these trivial details.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  16. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

Moonfall - A very fun movie!

17. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

I liked Space Force. It is silly tongue-in-cheek humor all the way but I thought it was entertaining and it had me laughing out loud from time to time. I recall one scene in particular where an astronaut on the space station confides in Carell's daughter character that living in space is driving him nuts to the point of desperation . It was reminiscent of the plot from The Big Bang Theory when Howard goes to space, but with far more desperation. And how can anyone not love John Malkovich in this. I loved him and Carell. They are both just naturally funny.

And the theme song for the show is one my old favorites. This is how the series ended.

18. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

Space Force was a fun series. But one of my favorite movies of all time is the masterpiece, The Lathe of Heaven.

Available for free on You Tube

Perhaps my top pick is the 1927 film, Metropolis - the rerelease by Giorgio Moroder from the 1980s is a wonderful version. Metropolis is recognized internationally as one of the 100 greatest works of cinema. I discovered this quite by accident at a video rental store. From there I probably watched it a dozen times over the new few months and created a cult following at college. I showed it to some friends and it spread like wildfire.

Fun facts: It is the first use of a robot concept in a movie. Also, perhaps a bit bothersome, it was Hitler's favorite movie!

But it was a German film and explores the plight and imagines the future of the working class. One thing that makes me chuckle a bit is the dreaded ten-hour day predicted by the movie. Ten-hour days? That's nothing! I've done far worse. I have worked more 80 to 100-hour weeks than I care to remember,

But in 1927 Germany, this was thought to be a horrible future. Maybe they were right!

This is also available for free on You Tube.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  19. Pinball1970 Registered Senior Member

It's brilliant, acting is superb.

wegs likes this.
  20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It really is! It’s not easy to create something fresh when it comes to the zombie apocalypse trope, but they’ve managed to do it. Looking forward to the next season.

Pinball1970 likes this.