Science Fair Project Suggestions

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Sir Aristrotle, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

Hey people..

Science Fair coming up in February. I really don't want to participate but I have to since I am in physics. I work with electronics and general electrical stuff allot, am very good with them and I like the idea of doing an electronics related project...

Please help me, it's been like a month or two since my class was informed of the fair and I still do not have a project. The ones the teacher is giving out of a book are straight up... simple-minded projects for those who just don't care - If I am going to do something like this I'd like to care so I'll do it right.

So, suggestions anyone? I need something that will get me a Superior because those book projects, according to my teacher - usually receive Superior ratings. Ugh, please help.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. vslayer Registered Senior Member

electromagnetic cannon, then you stick metal plates to the outside of a watermelon and send it flying

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. My Sexy Blue Feet Out sunbaking, leave a msg... Registered Senior Member

how complex does it have to be? What year are you in?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Demonstrate the circuitry for a simple accurate countdown timer, that could trigger a detonator.

8. Tokolos Registered Member

9. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Create a cure for cancer.

10. Roman Banned Banned

You could make a volcano.

11. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

You could make a circuitboard with switches that controls LEDs and stuff. you could make the switches react to magnets and make a virtual highway or something like that.

12. Roman Banned Banned

Or make a dazzling contraption that takes something from a high energy state, shuffles things around, and then performs a simple task after much shuffling, leaving the system at a much lower energy state. I think they call it "Government".

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Make a fully functioning ass, that can feel pain and has emotions.
    I'd buy one.

14. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  15. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

If you know quite a bit about electronics, you should use a 555 timer and build a metronome. If you don't know about the 555 timer, there is quite a bit on the internet about it that you could learn.

Just buy the 555 IC at Radio Shack and solder it into the circuit. You can find a simple schematic for one on the internet.

Then you could demonstrate your knowledge of the internals of the 555 timer IC. You could also demonstrate your knowledge of electrical circuits and even speakers and sound waves.

Plus, it would be fun to do!

Check out this website on the 555
    It is quite lengthy. At the bottom, they have the schematics.

16. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies people. I appreciate it.

My understanding of electronics is very very good. My knowledge of components is @36% but with a good schematic I can do anything.

555 timer + amp + subwoofer = interesting.

17. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

Guys, again I thank you for all your replies but I still don't have a project, I need something more simple I guess.

I just had an idea that I could create a virtual thunderstorm and demonstrate how lightning works and also address the myth or common beliefe that lightning comes down from the sky but rather up from the earth.

How hard would that be?

18. vslayer Registered Senior Member

that is as simple at getting a cheap plasma ball

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Find a cheap way to produce Hydrogen. Find ways to store Hydrogen. Find cars that only use Hydrogen then make them better.

20. Sir Aristrotle The C.E.O. of Teen-Moods Registered Senior Member

ok, scratch that idea. I wanted to use cotton cloulds but they'd probably catch fire...

21. Caper Registered Member

Enter a black hole and record your findings.

22. Dilbert Registered Senior Member

build a nuclear bomb, that allways works. And if you just can get some plutonium then it should not be that difficult. (As long as you have access to all the working benches and tools)

Nah, i have no idea. I have always wanted to be able to manipulate time, become invisible, be able to fly, be immortal, have telekenisis, telepathy and so on and so forth. Maybe you can help me with some of those.

23. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

An EMP cannon.