SciContest! Why can't matter be made of photons?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by BenTheMan, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reiku Banned Banned

I understand a bit about photon-photon coupling. I understand how matter can be different forms of trapped light.

But i did explain i wasn't sure about neutrino's, if it is true we cannot make them.

Is this what you wanted to hear?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

You admitting your ignorance and lies and then providing an apology for deliberately trying to mislead the ignorant and BS the knowledgable and for the years of crap you've posted.

Wait, were you talking about something else....?

Do antineutrinos exist within the SM? Have they been detected? If so, by which experiment? When? If they aren't in the SM, what models are they in, if any? The reply of yours I quote doesn't make it clear you have any clue about those questions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

And we can't see through your deliberate attempts of crapmanship?

I stated that antineutrino's where predicted. If not by the standard model, what the hell do you think i was talking about?

I asked if antineutrino's had been detected. Why is this such a shocking thing for me to innocently ask? I shouldn't know everything, should I? It's a big world out there in physics.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

God, Axions are also predicted. Not many will know that it has been found though. As i myself have found from attitudes of many people on the net.

8. Vern Registered Senior Member

I think they've discredited that finding, unless I missed some recent reports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axion

9. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Actually, there is no right handed neutrino in the standard model. This is why the neutrino was thought to be massless for so long, because the SM couldn't fit the right handed neutrino into a nice representation.

Now we require a GUT model to fit a right handed neutrino in in such a way to provide the 'see-saw mechanism', which is a proposed way of explaining why there's an almost massless fermion.

Things like double beta decay are something newer experiments are looking (or going to be looking) for, because it would mean the neutrino is it's own antiparticle, a Majorana fermion.

So antineutrinos aren't predicted by the SM, they are excluded. It's a pretty active area of research. One guy in my department and his new student, a friend of mine, are researching it.
    It's just that someone studying QM and whose claiming to research QFT should have come across the properties of the neutrino since it's an essential concept in quantum field theory.

Vern, is there some reason you've stopped replying to my posts?

10. Reiku Banned Banned

Sorry, i was under the impression it had been;

''Public release date: 6-Dec-2006
    [ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

goldbaum@buffalo.edu
    716-645-5000 x1415
    University at Buffalo

Long the fixation of physicists worldwide, a tiny particle is found
    BUFFALO, N.Y. -- After decades of intensive effort by both experimental and theoretical physicists worldwide, a tiny particle with no charge, a very low mass and a lifetime much shorter than a nanosecond, dubbed the "axion," has now been detected by the University at Buffalo physicist who first suggested its existence in a little-read paper as early as 1974.

The finding caps nearly three decades of research both by Piyare Jain, Ph.D., UB professor emeritus in the Department of Physics and lead investigator on the research, who works independently -- an anomaly in the field -- and by large groups of well-funded physicists who have, for three decades, unsuccessfully sought the recreation and detection of axions in the laboratory, using high-energy particle accelerators.

The paper, available online in the British Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics at http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0954-3899/34/1/009, will be published in the January 2007 issue. ''

Alphanumeric

''So antineutrinos aren't predicted by the SM, they are excluded. It's a pretty active area of research. One guy in my department and his new student, a friend of mine, are researching it.''

I see. Thanks.

''It's just that someone studying QM and whose claiming to research QFT should have come across the properties of the neutrino since it's an essential concept in quantum field theory.''

Well, i haven't studied it with great degree.

11. Vern Registered Senior Member

Reiku; your reference looks to be later than mine so its probably still considered "found". I discount the findings in particle accelerators though because there is such a jumble of stuff that comes out of the collisions that they're bound to find something that looks a lot like what they are seeking.

12. Reiku Banned Banned

Yes, it is more likely wiki needs an update

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Vkothii Banned Banned

"A jumble of stuff", that you have next to no idea about how it's even produced. Or what a particle actually is, or a black hole.

That whole statement looks like egregious crap. The sort of thing someone who just failed first-year physics might say to their parents.

14. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

I thought you claimed you were part of the experimental physics community?

Obvious you continue to lie (which is why you keep ignoring my posts now), because your claim about colliders being able to find just about anything they want is another lie.

For instance, a microblack hole has a unique signature compared to anything else because it doesn't work purely quantum mechanically. Hawking radiaiton has no preference for particle type, unlike normal quantum mechanical processes. For instance, a Z isn't going to decay into a pair of gluons. Nor will an electron. But a black hole can emit anything, provided charge conservation is kept to. So it'll emit pairs lf gluons, Z's, electron/positron pairs, photons, mesons etc. This is a unique signature.

The fact you don't know about such decay channels proves you don't know very much about quantum mechanics. Anyone who has studied applied quantum mechanics or even does some minor reading about the topic will learn such things.

And why do you continue to ignore my posts Vern, is there something you don't want to admit about your claims of working on transistors?

Funny how you kept replying to my posts quickly when you were talking about your work but now that I've nailed your **** to the wall, you've gone silent. What a shocker.
    It's more than like you and Vern couldn't find your own backsides with two hands, a map and a GPS locator.

15. jargon Registered Member

not a bad reward - good luck to all

16. Vern Registered Senior Member

Some of your posts are very informative -- some seem to be coming from a thread destroying bot.

17. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

So you cannot explain how you appear to be lying about working at the invention of the transistor and now you don't want to discuss it?

What a suprise. You're caught lying and now you're trying to ignore it. Just like you spam your work in a load of threads then ask people not to post criticism of it.

18. Reiku Banned Banned

''It's more than like you and Vern couldn't find your own backsides with two hands, a map and a GPS locator.''

That wasn't called for.

19. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Ok, so this turned out a bit different than I expected.

Three judges turned into 1. Sigh. But I now have 11 entries to choose from, and no one to argue with except myself.

Will deliberate/reread above posts and post my decision here.

Contestants should check back within a week to see what the outcome is. I will also PM you to get contact details.

20. Vern Registered Senior Member

I don't want to engage in this kind of "gotcha" stuff. I respect your intelligence and don't really give a shit whether you respect mine or not. You know you distorted the meaning of my posts.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  21. Guest254 Valued Senior Member

Hi AlphaNumeric,

I thought it might be nice to revert this thread back to some interesting physics. When you mention "Majorana fermion", what does this mean? I'm familiar with Majorana spinors, and it was my understanding that such creatures are a bi-product of an arbitrary choice of representation of the Lorentz group. I ask because the term "Majorana fermion" suggests that this is a definite type of particle with measurable properties, and as such can't be dependent on which representation of the Lorentz group we use.

Could you elaborate - slowly if possible!!!

Thanks.

22. Reiku Banned Banned

Majorana particles, are nothing more than fermion particles (with a spin up and spin down) that are their own antipartner, so they are neutral.

23. Vkothii Banned Banned

P.S. I'd like to see a bit more about weak hypercharge which explains "weak isospin" - which is conserved, and why fermions with 'positive chirality' (so only positive helicity?), are different to fermions with negative helicity. What's the distinction, in not so many equations? Why are "right-handed" neutrinos seen as having zero weak isospin, or is that simply a mathematical result?

Perhaps a better grasp of this "handedness" thing; chirality can be different to helicity, or identical depending on the spin, or the way parity "transforms" for a particle? I only learned about a rule of thumb - is it like using your left hand (the chiral transform of your right) to determine spin, or somesuch?
    Are there different flavours of spin, then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.