Schools&Bullying

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by duendy, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

How do you hard-arse macho types explain the seemingly causal relationship between bullying and stupidity?
    They don't have a higher amount of men with XYY chromosomes in the prison system - for nothing do they?

So if you lack the basic skills in empathy needed to recognise that bullying is a problem and that it is harmful, I ask you how you would feel if your son was physically small and underdeveloped, and kids picked on him and beat him up all the time?

Your reaction would probably be something like "well no son of mine would be weak or small, or gay..."
    The fact is that bullies don't like the smart kids because they are smarter than the bullies, and most bullies are really stupid - Not because their "pants are too high" or some superficial shit, like they aren't "cool" enough.

Seriously Dr. Lou Natic, its so obvious your not a doctor, you sound like an adolescent. Do you pride yourself on your position in the social ranks of high school?
    Is that seriously what determines a persons worth in society, in contribution to society, is their position in the pecking order?

10 years ago, kids at a high school would laugh at all of us because we are "posting in a forum" on "the internet" on a "computer."
    Why aren't you out playing football then, if your so cool?

Bullies get their "little feelings hurt" when the weedy kid who isn't cool gets an A and smiles, and they have to accept they only got a C or a D.
    Its like "well if i'm so great (cause i'm strong and cool and popular), why do the teachers always give me shitty marks? When that LOSER kid gets good marks? I'll show him."

Your forgetting all the dickheads who pick on kids who aren't good in sport, and then end up not even having a b-grade sporting career, due to an "injury".
    I could say something like "ohh diddums, you had an injury, poor boy!! Now you can't be a big macho sporting man, and basically your just a worthless dickhead with an 80 IQ!!"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Huwy, your reaction to bullies is the same reaction they have for you. You were scrawny and undeveloped and they could knock you around.

And you could get A's and make them feel bad.

There's studies, though, that show bullying as a function of confidence rather than insecurity. Bullies like themselves, despite what the bullies pretend.

Ever read Lord of the Flies? Do you think Jack loathed himself?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

do thy HELL like themselves. the whole reason a bully does what it does is precisely cause they DONTlike themselves. they only can feel powerful by putting another down. so obviously they dont by default FEEL empowered. right?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Some bullies are a little better at managing the way they do it than others, but I still can't see how they get off on it so well unless they are psychopaths. Unfortunately, there are types of psychopathy that society values, like the type that gets us into endless wars that reward us with endless pain and suffering. They have to fool themselves into thinking that it's great or they would have to turn off the money machine or kill themselves or something.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yes, that's pretty much true. There are, as you know, exceptions to the rule, but it's a pretty standard and widespread social/professional ordering system. And, I might add, that same/similar standard has been in use in virtually all human cultures/societies since the first ape began to walk upright on the African plains.

No, it's none AND all of those things .....it's because the kids are different. If you look around your school, you'll see people of all kinds of "differences" will form their own little social groups. Each group will be in competition, in some way, to all of the other groups. And if ye're really astute, you'll notice that even within the "nerd" group, there will be a pecking order (i.e., one or two will be the "bully" of that "nerd" group!).

Baron Max

9. duendy Registered Senior Member

hehe max's little virtual world and he loves it, and he eeeeven created his own little virtual reality history book. which of couuuuuurse, applies to EVERYone now and who has ever EVERlived. honest.

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ok if i missed your point i appologise,

sorry,

peace

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

duendy are you seriously believing what you say?, its laughable bro how can you tell us every single bully does what he does because of the single reason you stated, i know plenty of people you would class as "bullies" and they more than like themselves i would say, they "LOVE" themselves,

peace

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

it might supprise you man, but some people just like to fight, and some people just like to pick on weaklings, just like some people like to shoot animals for fun, and soem people like to join the police force and beat down some criminals, lots of people do things that you arent going to like, just like you probably do things others loath and dispise,

its nature man survival of the fittest, some people just do what they do and dont have any deep psycological reasoning for it, they just do it because its what they are, like a enraged chimpanze would you say he is horrible just because he smacked around a smaller monkey because he can?.

peace

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

and ok roman you can resort to insults and assumptions if youd like but im not going to argue with you about that. thinkw hat you like about me and my shaolin i dont mind atall.

peace

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

dont define a true warrior in such a small definition, thats false, a true warrior isnt something that you can just label there are all kinds of warriors not just little humble peasants who fight for there family and village, what about ones wo fight for honor and self defence? what about ones who go to war?.

peace

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

wow? who fed you all of that false infomation , why do you assume so much?

first of all

im not black
    i live in a 3 bedroom house
    what is the river fleet?
    i live in east london the shaolin temple is in brixton south london
    i dont bully people myself i fight in self defence only,
    just because i see bullying as natural for animals dosent mean i condone it in any way, i just know bullies exist and i feel no way about crushing them and feel no guilt,
    no matter your age as a martial artist your still a student, even if your 80 your still a student, theres always more to learn,

you people take offence to my opinions and then you insult/judge/assume, just because i hit a nerve i have been polite to you all but i guess its to much to ask for the same back.

peace

16. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

If you were the smaller monkey, wouldn't you think he was horrible?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Survival of the fittest depends entirely on what environment you're trying to 'fit' into. In human society, going around murdering people will have you punished, because a fit society isn't one that allows its members to destroy one another.

Picking on 'weaklings' doesn't benefit society, because these 'weaklings' are often the ones coming up with new ideas, and in today's world ideas have more power (longterm) than simple physical strength. Think of nuclear weapons - nuclear energy is just an idea, but see what an impact it had.

17. duendy Registered Senior Member

what? you are talkin gangstas...flashin their sit and pushinhg their shit on everybody? and you think that is loving themselves. no...the BELIEVE tey love themselves, but they are phony. its all a sham. they believe that they have power, but it isn't

anyway, it begins in school--which is what tis threads about. i also went thr u a bullyying phase. i can look bcak and see why. i was under confident even tho i see confident, and my life was shit, but i couldn't even acknowledge it at the time

18. Nysse God is dead Registered Senior Member

He never said every single bully, there are going to be exceptions.
    The point is most bullies are insecure about themselves, they might not even know it, but they are. That is why they are picking on others weaknesses and differences to make up for their own. That is how they deal with their uncertainty.

If someone truly loved themselves, and had absolutely nothing to feel insecure, uncertain, or ashamed of about themselves, I don’t think they would feel the need to bully or cause pain to others.
    If you are completely happy with yourself, your life, your situation, and you love yourself, and everything about yourself, there is no point to finding fault in others and picking on their flaws. What would it be achieving for you, exactly? Making you feel better? But you wouldn’t need to, would you? You already are better, you love yourself.

19. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

I am 13 and at school out of 15 subjects last year i got 12 A's 2 B's and a c
    i am one of the most popular kids in the year, its not whether you are smart or not its if you rub it in peoples faces that they're dumb

20. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

It's a lot more complicated than that. Perhaps some of the people who are bullied are arrogant intellectuals, but I doubt the majority are. It certainly doesn't explain longterm bullying - if you were beaten up for being arrogant, I think you'd try change your attitude pretty quickly, wouldn't you?

The idea that it's the fault of the person being bullied is just society's way of passing the blame. Now that's cowardice.

21. duendy Registered Senior Member

HI an welcome......that is a really good insight what you say. it is really true that accusing, implying--in many ways--that a person is dumbg, worthless, etc WILL dis-em-power tem. Andten tey will feel so low regarding teir self-esteem they try and gain their sense of loss of power by over-powering another

you can see this pattern very clearly in schools. usually it is the clever kids who get pickd on.......or e most good looking, especially wit female bullying
    of course there is also te kind of bullying which is to do with peoples differences too

but te bottm line is that bullies feel diempowered nd sowant to destroy to feel they are regaining power

you have heard of kids targetting animals, birds? i find it impossible to read about, but you caan of course see te headlines and pictures, to i cnt dwell on it. its too upsetting

we have had kids fire pellets, and arrows into swans. Recently in our news we saw horses tat had had fireworks thrown at them. Thi horses face was seriously burned, and one horse had its tail cut off and it bled to deth in agony

the children who did this horror are bullies. they deeply albeit UNconsciously feel even animals are more empowered than them and wish to destroy it, and gain power. it is evil beyond words.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think, instead of resorting to psycho-babble reasons for bullying, we should see it in the simplistic terms from whence it probably arose ....the simple fact that they are different. Different in some way, any way, that the bully finds objectionable for some reason.

Many of you have expressed bullying in terms like "...beating the shit outta'..", but bullying can be done with words and gestures, not just with physical violence.

But also, bullying comes most easily against those who are most UN-willing to protect themselves. And again, I don't necessarily mean with violence. People who are weak and defenseless, in all ways, will always be "picked on" by those who are stronger. It seems to me that it's a simple fact of life. We can "outlaw" it, but just like a lot of laws, they can and will be disobeyed. The weak must, at some point, defend themselves. If they can't or won't....?

And it's not an issue of "the blame game", bullying happens in our society in a variety of ways and methods. Society itself is practically based on the very principle that one person is better than another! What society is not?

Baron Max

23. duendy Registered Senior Member

so bmax...i am some kid getting bullied in school. i go to you and you say 'suks kid...whyyy thats jest the way the world issss. now ger 'ard' or die?....oh yes...very intelligent reponse, i think not. it's hardly worth wasting any effort on to challenge. so i wont